• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Somerset win Division 2 in 2003?

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arrogance aside, there was a genuine surprise that a team as decent as Somerset had gone down in 2002 though reputation counts for nothing if you play like lemmings. Fro m the county pros I have spoken to (interviews on www.somersettalk.co.uk), the general consensus is that Somerset should bounce straight back and win the Division 2 Championship.

My question is who are the likely rivals to Somerset in 2003 and from a Somerset point fo view, would promotion in both leagues rather outright champions be acceptable?????

Attachments

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Main rivals are definitely Yorkshire IMO - will possibly back both sides each way as I reckon they'll be one and two.

I would personally prefer dual promotion to winning one and not doing anything in the other.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Although I hope they go up, and they should, it is by no means a foregone conclusion. They will miss Caddick and Trescothick, plus the best groundsman on the circuit, and I dont fully agree with their choice of personelle. But they are definitely one of the strongest sides in div2.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yeah at the end of the day the priority is to get promoted. No-one really cares whether you win the division 2 title or not, it is just a case of being in division 1 so you can win a real trophy.

I am probably somewhat bias but I think Hampshire will be strong this year. Crawley probably won't be in the England side, and Katich will strengthen the batting. Then we have brought in Warne and Giddins to help the bowling department, so if Mullally and Morris can stay fit (admittedly that's a sizeable if given their track records) we can definitely compete for promotion, if not the titles, particularly in the championship as I feel that is our strength.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Someone who's not of a similar age to him - we need to blood a younger batsman or 2, and he's the obvious one to miss out -Maybe Bell, or Key.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Personally I can't think of anyone I would consider suitable/ready just now, but I still don't expect Crawley to be in the England side. He hasn't done much wrong, and I wouldn't be too disappointed if he continued in the side for another 6 months, as a stop-gap measure almost.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
I dont really want to turn this into an England thread, but who do you think would do a better job than Crawley?
Shah has been in superb form in the CC for a few years and he's more of a 4D player anyway. Bell or Troughton maybe if they perform early in the season as they both have the talent and why not give them a pressure free debut against a poor bowling side? South Africa is not a team you want to be facing when you are feeling your way into Test Cricket, and Zimbabwe don't really have any express bowlers, they are all county standard or lower.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
Shah has been in superb form in the CC for a few years and he's more of a 4D player anyway. Bell or Troughton maybe if they perform early in the season as they both have the talent and why not give them a pressure free debut against a poor bowling side? South Africa is not a team you want to be facing when you are feeling your way into Test Cricket, and Zimbabwe don't really have any express bowlers, they are all county standard or lower.
Heath Streak?
Douglas Hondo isn't bad either, but agreed, it would be a good chance for someone to work his way into Test Cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its a pity that Paul Strang had to go, I thought he was world class. Travis Friend, Andy Blignaut and Sean Ervine all have talent,and should become good test players, but they wont frighten many people at the moment

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Heath Streak?
Douglas Hondo isn't bad either, but agreed, it would be a good chance for someone to work his way into Test Cricket.
D'oh! Forgot about Streak! He's one of my favorite players too! :duh:

Hondo...I'm not sure the Zimbabweans seen him as a Test Bowler as yet though he is impressive in ODIs.