• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worlds Best All-Rounder - Poll 7 - South Africa

South Africa's Best All-Rounder

• Shaun Pollock

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Andrew Hall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jaques Kallis

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Justin Kemp

• Graeme Smith

• Vernon Philander

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Albie Morkel

• Johann Botha

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I will do a series of polls, 1 for each test playing nation (now including Zim and Bangla + a combined associates poll) to see who you believe is the best all rounder of that country. I will then place all of the poll winners in another poll, to determine who the worlds best all-rounder is.

This poll will end in 1 week.
Next Poll: West Indies

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pollock, just, ahead of Kallis. Pollock's batting > Kallis' bowling, wheras Pollock's bowling = Kallis' batting IMO.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Used to be IMO, but I think while his batting is formidable, his bowling is no longer as useful as it used to be.
No doubt Kallis has seen a deline in his bowling but Pollock has seen a dramatic decline in his allround game.

Since 2003/2004 season all aspects of Polocks game have become worse, so much so that people in SA have been wondering about his role and place in the team. Especially as a new ball bowler.

Since the start of the 2003/2004 (33 Tests) season Pollock has averaged 30 with the ball and 27 with the bat. Compare that to 21 with the ball and 35 with the bat up until that point in his career.

Pollock ATM isnt especially good at either discipine.

As we said, Kallis has seen his bowling role in the team decline (there have been injuries) but in the same time period he averages 65 with the bat and 40 with the ball. In fact in his last 10 tests he has taken a number of good wickets.

With Pollock you get a player that is no longer top quality in any discipline and on the decline in all areas.

With Kallis you get a world class batsman combined with a useful (if no longer front line) quick bowler.

Its a no brainer for me.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
My bias sways towards that I very rarely get to see a SA test match so my judgement is more ODI inclined, a game which Pollock has been very good in for the past few years.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My bias sways towards that I very rarely get to see a SA test match so my judgement is more ODI inclined, a game which Pollock has been very good in for the past few years.
Ok random figure chosen (last 30 ODIs)

Kallis averages 60 with the bat and 25 with the ball

Pollock averags 33 with the bat and 22 with the ball (and that included the Mickey Mouse stats boosting Afro-Asia rubbish)

And as for Kallis declining so much as an OD bowler he still averages a wicket a game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I guess I consider Kallis a batsman who is handy with the ball more than a genuine all rounder. Perhaps it is because he is just so dominant with the bat that I think that. Pollocks always left the greater impression on me in the matches I have seen though, but that may change with the upcoming tour. :ph34r:

Matt79

Global Moderator
No doubt Kallis has seen a deline in his bowling but Pollock has seen a dramatic decline in his allround game.

Since 2003/2004 season all aspects of Polocks game have become worse, so much so that people in SA have been wondering about his role and place in the team. Especially as a new ball bowler.

Since the start of the 2003/2004 (33 Tests) season Pollock has averaged 30 with the ball and 27 with the bat. Compare that to 21 with the ball and 35 with the bat up until that point in his career.

Pollock ATM isnt especially good at either discipine.

As we said, Kallis has seen his bowling role in the team decline (there have been injuries) but in the same time period he averages 65 with the bat and 40 with the ball. In fact in his last 10 tests he has taken a number of good wickets.

With Pollock you get a player that is no longer top quality in any discipline and on the decline in all areas.

With Kallis you get a world class batsman combined with a useful (if no longer front line) quick bowler.

Its a no brainer for me.
Hmmm, must confess I was basing my comments on general impressions, not right NOW. Surprised Pollock has declined so markedly - he still seems to be doing well whenever I see him (which is admittedly rarely), as well as in the ICC rankings IIRC.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Voted for Kallis, but I think any poll for the top all-rounder in the world should have both Pollock and Kallis in it, they're both plently ahead of a number of the top contenders from some other contries.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Kallis over Pollock by so little its hardly worth mentioning. Whichever of the two wins this round will only have Flintoff as real competition for top allrounder in the world.