• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worlds Best All Rounder - Poll 1 - Australia

Australia's Best All Rounder

• Shane Watson

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Andrew Symonds

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Michael Clarke

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Cameron White

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I will do a series of polls, 1 for each test playing nation (now including Zim and Bangla + a combined associates poll) to see who you believe is the best all rounder of that country. I will then place all of the poll winners in another poll, to determine who the worlds best all-rounder is.

This poll will end in 1 week.
Next Poll: England

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Clarke isn't really an allrounder, and White can't bowl anymore based on recent evidence, so this is between Symonds and Watson. Watson has a better batting technique, and the most development left in his bowling, so I'll go for him.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I will do a series of polls, 1 for each test playing nation (bar Zim and Bangla) to see who you believe is the best all rounder of that country. I will then place all of the poll winners in another poll, to determine who the worlds best all-rounder is.

This poll will end in 1 week.
Next Poll: England
Are you implyimg Bangla and Zim don't have allrounders?:@

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
no i'm not implying that they don't have all-rounders, they just aren't of the quality of other countries

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Still I dont see why their shouldn't have a poll for the best allrounders in all test teams

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
fair enough, i'll make a poll for them. There is now a bangla poll, a zim poll and a combined associates poll

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Clarke isn't really an allrounder, and White can't bowl anymore based on recent evidence, so this is between Symonds and Watson. Watson has a better batting technique, and the most development left in his bowling, so I'll go for him.
Symonds isn't really an all-rounder either, and TBH I think it'd suit Watson best if he wasn't considered one too, as his batting is patently his strongest suit.

Matt79

Global Moderator
but both Symonds and Watson will only get anywhere near the Test team on the basis that they are "allrounders". So its fair enough that they are included in this poll. If the question is "Does Australia currently have a test class allrounder?" then the answer is "no, but Watson is the best candidate to become one at the moment" - but that's not what is asked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd argue, TBH, that Watson has a case based purely on batting.

And I could tell you someone who'd argue that Symonds has no case regardless of whether he bowls or not too. :p

Anyway, I don't think either have a case to be considered all-rounders as such. Just batsmen whose bowling is worth a bit, and therefore might come into some element of consideration where selection is concerned.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Please feel free to list the allrounders who should have been listed ahead of Symonds and Watson for the purposes of this poll then...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't understand is this poll for Tests or overall?

By the way I think Adam Gilchrist should be added.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This is more based on ODI's, and is bat/bowl all rounder, not bat/keeper all rounder

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd argue, TBH, that Watson has a case based purely on batting.

And I could tell you someone who'd argue that Symonds has no case regardless of whether he bowls or not too. :p

Anyway, I don't think either have a case to be considered all-rounders as such. Just batsmen whose bowling is worth a bit, and therefore might come into some element of consideration where selection is concerned.
An allrounder IMO is someone whose batting and bowling influences selection. It doesn't have to influence their own selection of course - as Flintoff for example could make the English test team on bowling alone, but if he could not bat, England would have played an extra batsman much more often.

Watson and Symonds wouldn't be selected at all if they couldn't bat, or if they couldn't bowl (as much as Watson "has a case", he wouldn't have been picked), hence they are both allrounders in the context of the Australian cricket team, IMO.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Considering that Clarke is in the poll, and hes not much more than a part timer I find it a terrible travesty that one Bradley Hogg could not find a place.