• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

W.H. Cooper

neville cardus

International Debutant
Has anyone else here noticed that most enchanting reference on Cricket Archive to William Cooper's being a "Leg-break and googly" bowler? (For the record, he played his last first-class game as far back into antediluvian yore as 1886/87, long before Bernard Bosanquet's nefarious quadruple-bouncer four-flushed Sam Coe.)

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Has anyone else here noticed that most enchanting reference on Cricket Archive to William Cooper's being a "Leg-break and googly" bowler? (For the record, he played his last first-class game as far back into antediluvian yore as 1886/87, long before Bernard Bosanquet's nefarious quadruple-bouncer four-flushed Sam Coe.)
Maybe they know something we don't? The scoop you have been looking for?:laugh:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Maybe they know something we don't?
I've done a little reconnoitring, and, although I can't confirm for certain that Cooper discovered the googly, I've come by the quite startling revelation that it was he who pioneered leg-theory. I really should let David Frith in on that.

The scoop you have been looking for?:laugh:
Come now! You know full well that I've made at least one big find. :dry: