• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers' Views on Twenty20

adharcric

International Coach
This is tosh of course....

Whilst this tournament has been on, I have had discussions with ,or overheard people who are new to the game or love the game (and have done for years) have nothing but good to say about Twenty20 in the last week or so.

I am sorry, given your admission that you have barely watched a game, you are no authority on the games merits or otherwise
Barring that bowl-out, I haven't found any new reasons to dislike Twenty20 cricket. The old barrage of valid reasons remain but I've enjoyed the entertainment value, even if some of the finer points of cricket have gone missing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is tosh of course....

Whilst this tournament has been on, I have had discussions with ,or overheard people who are new to the game or love the game (and have done for years) have nothing but good to say about Twenty20 in the last week or so.

I am sorry, given your admission that you have barely watched a game, you are no authority on the games merits or otherwise
I don't need to have watched games to analyse the type of soul that attend, nor do I need to attend to realise the types that argue positively for it.

Nor do I need to do so to realise these people's attitudes to the better forms of cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
GRAEME SMITH

“Honestly, I’ve lost a bit of patience since I began playing Twenty20. Here you just don’t have enough time to take decisions. But I guess that’s where the challenge lies. After all, look at Twenty20’s contribution. I don’t think the 438 chase would’ve been possible had we not had the Twenty20 experience.”
That's an interesting one - how many of those involved in said chase had played more than 2 or 3 games (if that)?

Swervy

International Captain
Barring that bowl-out, I haven't found any new reasons to dislike Twenty20 cricket. The old barrage of valid reasons remain but I've enjoyed the entertainment value, even if some of the finer points of cricket have gone missing.
As far as I can see, the game of cricket constantly evolves, it has done from the earliest days it was played. The game has been there to keep people amused..ie. entertain.
I see Twenty20 as a part of the evolution, and if elements spill over into the other games, then so be it.
If anyone ever expected even test cricket to be played in the same way in 30 years time as it is now, well sorry, those people are going to badly wrong. Inovations will come along, whether it be a new shot, or new type of bowling, or a rule change to tweak the game a bit , a new way of tactical thought etc...its just the way it is. Twenty20 will merely contribute to this evolution

Swervy

International Captain
I don't need to have watched games to analyse the type of soul that attend, nor do I need to attend to realise the types that argue positively for it.

Nor do I need to do so to realise these people's attitudes to the better forms (IN MY OPINION) of cricket.
so are you saying those who enjoy Twenty20 are of a certain 'type', and don't like the longer forms of the game?

(I added a bit to what you said by the way...don't want you sounding pompous again do we Richard!!!)

Swervy

International Captain
admittedly though, the bowl out was crap

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
so are you saying those who enjoy Twenty20 are of a certain 'type', and don't like the longer forms of the game?

(I added a bit to what you said by the way...don't want you sounding pompous again do we Richard!!!)
Not all of them obviously - there are worthy souls who have taken Twenty20 to heart (some others who had no real right to call themselves cricket fans ITFP) but much is always made of how it brings in massively larger attendances - the simple deduction is that it's cricket for people who don't really like cricket.

Most people who do would do just fine without Twenty20, as they have Tests and Tests would be far better-off without Twenty20.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as I can see, the game of cricket constantly evolves, it has done from the earliest days it was played. The game has been there to keep people amused..ie. entertain.
I see Twenty20 as a part of the evolution, and if elements spill over into the other games, then so be it.
If anyone ever expected even test cricket to be played in the same way in 30 years time as it is now, well sorry, those people are going to badly wrong. Inovations will come along, whether it be a new shot, or new type of bowling, or a rule change to tweak the game a bit , a new way of tactical thought etc...its just the way it is. Twenty20 will merely contribute to this evolution
Things change and change back... there is plenty about long-form cricket that remains as it was in 1900.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Atherton talking his usual utter bollocks. Twenty20 games are more of a contest between bat and ball than ODIs are. The standard ODI road gives virtually no chance to bowlers of bowling someone out, particularly as the ball gets older. If the batsmen bat well you've got practically no chance of bowling him out.

In Twenty20 the batsmen have to score early in their innings, they have to take risks, they have to attack every bowler to some extent. The ball is new most of the innings so you can do something with it, the bowler always has a chance because of all these factors. See the impact good and bad bowling has on a game in Twenty20, then compare it to the impact it has on a typical ODI road.
Haha!

Its such an even battle between bat and ball that slips are often taken out after the first over. Dead set ridiculous post.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
admittedly though, the bowl out was crap
No bowl-out will be good for cricket. They'll all be crap. Even if it ends up going to 10-10 and the wicket keepers have to hit the stumps to win. That's manufactured excitement which has nothing to do with cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, SJS, I think that what the thread is about is those who are actually playing the game; rather than ex-players who haven't ever actually partaken in a game of Twenty20.
No, I think this thread is about comments (positive or negative) from aynone and everyone except fans.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ADAM GILCHRIST
You would have thought he read my posts :)

"The more I play it the more I have begun not to like it. But I would love watching it though" He also feels that the format negates some of the skill factor , while admittingthat the spectators are lepping up the close finishes thatare nearly absent in the 50-over matches.

"I am not convinced thatover the short term, the skills get to come through as much as they do in the longer formats. So that is levelling the games which are a great spectacle, but we will see overtime"
Gilchrist also feels that his team was takingthe tournament a bit too seriously which could be a reason behind their inconsistent showing.​

AFP - Johannesburg

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
A FABULOUS ARTICLE - Highly Recommended

Vision 20/20

Soumya Bhattacharya
Author of You Must Like Cricket? Memoirs of an Indian Cricket Fan

As India took on Pakistan in the Twenty20 World Cup in Durban on Friday night, I settled into a corner of my ersatz leather sofa at home with an advance copy of Philip Roth’s forthcoming novel, Exit Ghost. The TV was tuned to Animal Planet: my six-year-old daughter was watching a fleet of lions barrelling through the African savannah.

India was playing an international cricket match, and I couldn’t be bothered with even the score. It hasn’t happened since I was five years old.

Usually, it’s not like this. Usually, when cricket is on (and it need not necessarily be an India game), life at home is what happens between overs. It’s been like that for as long as I can remember. As a matter of fact, not too long ago (or at least not long enough ago for me to be not able to remember), before I was an average, middle-class, getting-to-be-middle-aged working father, all of life was what happened between overs.

Even now, ‘V.S. Naipaul’ is what flashes across my mind second when someone says ‘Trinidad’; ‘Queen’s Park Oval’ does first. On the underground in London, I still always feel a certain quickening of the pulse, an odd, visceral thrill when the train pulls into the Oval station.

Cricket gives me — has given me for as long as I can remember — a sense of place. I think of cities in terms of their cricket grounds: it is the most enduring geography lesson I have ever had and it brings closer and makes familiar places with which I have little acquaintance. It gives me a sense of time: a certain event in my life is referenced with the memory of a particular game. It is, I have found, something that offers a coordinate, a centre amid the daily, changing clutter of life with which it is so tough to keep up.

So what happens with Twenty20? Why does it leave me so cold? Let alone not wanting to watch it closely, why do I actually not care at all how far India go in the World Cup in South Africa?

The trouble is, Twenty20 doesn’t seem like cricket to me. It appears to be not so much a speeded-up, watered-down version of cricket, a sort of cricket-lite for dummies who are incapable of comprehending the complexities and subtleties of the greatest game in the world, but an utter impostor. It has whittled away at cricket’s essence; it has snuffed out its soul; it is unrecognisable as the game I adore.

One of the great allures of cricket is the sense of narrative the game offers, the manner in which a Test match (or, to a lesser extent, a one-day match) unfolds with its ebbs and flows, its twists and turns, its shocks and surprises.

And then, there are the subplots, the small face-offs within the larger confrontation that give the narrative of a particular game its very own sense of frisson: Shoaib Akhtar versus Sachin Tendulkar within Pakistan versus India; Shane Warne versus Kevin Pietersen within Australia versus England.

The ruminative, contemplative nature of cricket (can you think of any other game that would accommodate meal breaks in the rhythm of the regular day’s play?) makes it enthralling to its followers. When a fast bowler charges in with the new ball and beats the batsman time and time again outside the off stump, the uninitiated believes the same action is repeating itself over and over again. It seems as though nothing is happening, that the game is not going forward. For the fan, though, something like this is as spectacular as it is absorbing. And yes, to him/her, plenty is happening, the game is going forward — the batsman’s confidence is being undermined, the bowler has his tail up, the batsman is being set up for the kill, balls like these will have an impact on the subsequent run of play — although no runs are being scored and no wickets are falling. The charm of cricket often lies as much in the apparent intangibles as in the devotee’s ability to know where to look to find joy.

I can’t think of any other game in which conditions — of the pitch, of the ball, of the light, of the weather — are so critical. In football, if the field is slushy, both teams play on it at the same time. If there is a strong wind swirling around a tennis court, both players need to adjust their ball tosses in equal measure while serving.

But in cricket, conditions change as the game wears on, and it’s never the same for both teams. A crumbling final-day pitch; an overcast sky that helps bowlers; dew in the evening of a one-day match that makes it hard for the fielding side; sun that dries up a pitch and makes it hard and ideal for strokeplay — all these are things on which the result of a match can hinge. That is cricket’s particular charm.

These things need, above all, time. And time is what Twenty20 doesn’t have. It has no time for any of these factors to come into play and deliver the surprise and the excitement that is unique to cricket as we know it.

Worse still, it has no time for bowlers. There is no contest between the bat and the ball. In the Twenty20 version, bowlers have simply been taken out of the equation. Batsmen get a free hit (an extra ball to hit in which they can’t be dismissed) after every no-ball; to me, it seems that every ball is a free hit. There are next to no fielders out in the deep, so that makes things even more unequal. Sometimes, it looks as though Twenty20 needn’t bother with bowlers: batsmen may as well throw a ball against a wall and hit it as far as it can go.

Look, I can see the point of Twenty20. I know it is supposed to make the game more inclusive, to introduce it to a newer, wider audience. You can see it happening in England, where people are streaming into the ground at the end of a working day for a game, ties loosened, wine coolers ready, with children and wives and girlfriends. It is supposed to be like an evening out. The multiplex is all booked? Go to the cricket. Its brevity is its biggest draw. And who knows, with the Champions Twenty20 league just announced, it might just be the cornerstone of cricket’s popularity in the future.

So I’m not dense enough to not understand why it’s good for us. Trouble is, I don’t think it’s much good. Oh, it’s great fun, sure. Just don’t call it cricket.​

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Vision 20/20

Soumya Bhattacharya

As India took on Pakistan in the Twenty20 World Cup in Durban on Friday night, I settled into a corner of my ersatz leather sofa at home with an advance copy of Philip Roth’s forthcoming novel, Exit Ghost. The TV was tuned to Animal Planet: my six-year-old daughter was watching a fleet of lions barrelling through the African savannah.

India was playing an international cricket match, and I couldn’t be bothered with even the score. It hasn’t happened since I was five years old.

Usually, it’s not like this. Usually, when cricket is on (and it need not necessarily be an India game), life at home is what happens between overs. It’s been like that for as long as I can remember. As a matter of fact, not too long ago (or at least not long enough ago for me to be not able to remember), before I was an average, middle-class, getting-to-be-middle-aged working father, all of life was what happened between overs.

Even now, ‘V.S. Naipaul’ is what flashes across my mind second when someone says ‘Trinidad’; ‘Queen’s Park Oval’ does first. On the underground in London, I still always feel a certain quickening of the pulse, an odd, visceral thrill when the train pulls into the Oval station.

Cricket gives me — has given me for as long as I can remember — a sense of place. I think of cities in terms of their cricket grounds: it is the most enduring geography lesson I have ever had and it brings closer and makes familiar places with which I have little acquaintance. It gives me a sense of time: a certain event in my life is referenced with the memory of a particular game. It is, I have found, something that offers a coordinate, a centre amid the daily, changing clutter of life with which it is so tough to keep up.

So what happens with Twenty20? Why does it leave me so cold? Let alone not wanting to watch it closely, why do I actually not care at all how far India go in the World Cup in South Africa?

The trouble is, Twenty20 doesn’t seem like cricket to me. It appears to be not so much a speeded-up, watered-down version of cricket, a sort of cricket-lite for dummies who are incapable of comprehending the complexities and subtleties of the greatest game in the world, but an utter impostor. It has whittled away at cricket’s essence; it has snuffed out its soul; it is unrecognisable as the game I adore.

One of the great allures of cricket is the sense of narrative the game offers, the manner in which a Test match (or, to a lesser extent, a one-day match) unfolds with its ebbs and flows, its twists and turns, its shocks and surprises.

And then, there are the subplots, the small face-offs within the larger confrontation that give the narrative of a particular game its very own sense of frisson: Shoaib Akhtar versus Sachin Tendulkar within Pakistan versus India; Shane Warne versus Kevin Pietersen within Australia versus England.

The ruminative, contemplative nature of cricket (can you think of any other game that would accommodate meal breaks in the rhythm of the regular day’s play?) makes it enthralling to its followers. When a fast bowler charges in with the new ball and beats the batsman time and time again outside the off stump, the uninitiated believes the same action is repeating itself over and over again. It seems as though nothing is happening, that the game is not going forward. For the fan, though, something like this is as spectacular as it is absorbing. And yes, to him/her, plenty is happening, the game is going forward — the batsman’s confidence is being undermined, the bowler has his tail up, the batsman is being set up for the kill, balls like these will have an impact on the subsequent run of play — although no runs are being scored and no wickets are falling. The charm of cricket often lies as much in the apparent intangibles as in the devotee’s ability to know where to look to find joy.

I can’t think of any other game in which conditions — of the pitch, of the ball, of the light, of the weather — are so critical. In football, if the field is slushy, both teams play on it at the same time. If there is a strong wind swirling around a tennis court, both players need to adjust their ball tosses in equal measure while serving.

But in cricket, conditions change as the game wears on, and it’s never the same for both teams. A crumbling final-day pitch; an overcast sky that helps bowlers; dew in the evening of a one-day match that makes it hard for the fielding side; sun that dries up a pitch and makes it hard and ideal for strokeplay — all these are things on which the result of a match can hinge. That is cricket’s particular charm.

These things need, above all, time. And time is what Twenty20 doesn’t have. It has no time for any of these factors to come into play and deliver the surprise and the excitement that is unique to cricket as we know it.

Worse still, it has no time for bowlers. There is no contest between the bat and the ball. In the Twenty20 version, bowlers have simply been taken out of the equation. Batsmen get a free hit (an extra ball to hit in which they can’t be dismissed) after every no-ball; to me, it seems that every ball is a free hit. There are next to no fielders out in the deep, so that makes things even more unequal. Sometimes, it looks as though Twenty20 needn’t bother with bowlers: batsmen may as well throw a ball against a wall and hit it as far as it can go.

Look, I can see the point of Twenty20. I know it is supposed to make the game more inclusive, to introduce it to a newer, wider audience. You can see it happening in England, where people are streaming into the ground at the end of a working day for a game, ties loosened, wine coolers ready, with children and wives and girlfriends. It is supposed to be like an evening out. The multiplex is all booked? Go to the cricket. Its brevity is its biggest draw. And who knows, with the Champions Twenty20 league just announced, it might just be the cornerstone of cricket’s popularity in the future.

So I’m not dense enough to not understand why it’s good for us. Trouble is, I don’t think it’s much good. Oh, it’s great fun, sure. Just don’t call it cricket.​
excellent article... even though I feel he was harsher on T20 than was necessary, it is an excellent article.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ANDREW SYMONDS

"It's a frustrating game because you can be beaten by the lesser sides and they have to be good for a shorter period of time. That's why he [Gilchrist] is probably finding it frustrating and I'd probably have to agree with him as well.

"We realised early on that the shorter the game is the bigger chance of the lesser sides beating the bigger sides. So I suppose it means you have to play well for your full 20 overs. Over the course of three or four overs the game can turn on its head which is why people are enjoying it so much. It doesn't become such a one-sided affair and the underdog can [come out on top]."

Asked whether he was enjoying the experience, Symonds paused before adding: "It's a different type of enjoyment. At least in one-day cricket you have a chance of working your way back into the game and in Test cricket over a much longer period. I'll have to play more of it to see how much I really enjoy it."

"Any ball can go out of the park so you need a bit of luck and it makes bowling quite difficult. Your skills are really put to the test, especially for a part-time bowler.""

He is realistic enough to realise that Twenty20 is rapidly growing and is only going to expand over the next few years. But although the manner in which he plays may suggest otherwise, Symonds remains a traditionalist and hopes that, however powerful Twenty20 becomes, it doesn't detract from the other formats.

"With the other bodies coming in it is going to make the cricketing world very competitive and the best players are going to be heavily sought after. Hopefully we don't lose the purist's side and traditional side but by the same token I think it will be healthy if cricket goes into the echelons of where soccer is going. But Test cricket is the ultimate challenge."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Vision 20/20

Soumya Bhattacharya

Good to see stuff like this coming in regularly.