Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricketers' Views on Twenty20

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    James Lawton: Twenty20 slogging [snip]
    That's about as far as anyone need read for that article.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    That's about as far as anyone need read for that article.
    It sure is. Encapculates the whole thing quite nicely, I think.
    Last edited by The Sean; 19-09-2007 at 07:02 AM.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Same lame rejoinder from you as well. Lara, Roebuck, and Atherton are Australian?
    Same old inability to read, where did I state there were Australian?

Lara didn't really say anything other than his personal preference. Atherton I've already addressed. No idea who Roebuck is, but there is no shortage of clueless journalists.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Same old inability to read, where did I state there were Australian?
    A lot of Aussies mouthing off about something they don't have a clue about so far.

I'm be more interested in the Aussies who've been here and playing Twenty20, such as the bit from Stuart Law.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Yeah, more like an inability to express yourself clearly, than any illiteracy problems on my part, I fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Yeah, more like an inability to express yourself clearly, than any illiteracy problems on my part, I fear.
    Bollocks, if you can't properly interpret something as clear as that it most certainly is a fault on your part.

Congrats you can't read either Richard.
    Yes, I can actually. It's very obvious what that post appears to mean: that most of the stuff so far in this thread has been from Australians (and also those who don't have a clue what they're on about).

If you meant something else, you expressed it very poorly.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    PONTING

SYDNEY, Jan 10 (Reuters) - The lure of winning another World Cup has convinced Australia captain Ricky Ponting to start taking Twenty/20 a bit more serious.

Ponting has always regarded the abbreviated form of the game as little more than a hit-and-giggle but is starting to think more seriously about it with the inaugural Twenty/20 World Cup scheduled for South Africa this year.

"I enjoy playing the game but I think it's best played when it is just a fun sort of game and there is not too much riding on it," Ponting told a news conference.

"We know that there's a world championship coming up and I guess if we keep playing like that, then bring it on."

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    GRAHAM THORPE

I think while it keeps selling around and keeps entertaining spectators with their presence at cricket matches it means Twenty20 is very successful and very popular.

We will see how the Twenty20 World Cup goes in South Africa but I would expect it to be a big hit. The players like it, the spectators like and I think it is here to stay at the moment.

But it is important that we keep it in the box that it's in. It's fun that is what cricket should be and if gets another generation of cricketers, young cricket people through to watch then it has to be a good thing.

Source : rediff,com

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    SANGAKARRA
    Tour Diary

Twenty20 scores seem to have declined a little in the past year and I suspect this is because bowlers have developed better strategies than they did at the outset. It is a very harsh format for the bowlers, but they have already adapted. Likewise, the approach of batsmen has evolved with batting not being all about big-hitting. The key will be smart cricket – a phrase we use a lot in the 50-over format - but it’s even more relevant to the shortened version, especially with our mix of accumulators and explosive impact players.

We are confident of being able to perform, but we know this is an unforgiving format – one mistake and you can lose a game. No team can be taken for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    This thread is for what Cricketers think about the Twenty20 version of the game. I will start it off NZ Captain's views :-

Vettori gives Twenty20 thumbs down

Cricinfo staff

September 18, 2007

Daniel Vettori: "I personally love the more traditional forms of the game" © Getty Images

While organisers and broadcasters purr over Twenty20, Daniel Vettori, New Zealand's captain, has given the tournament and the format a thumbs down.

"I hope Twenty20 cricket will only be part of the landscape and not the future of the game," Vettori said. "I personally love the more traditional forms of the game, that is Test cricket and one-day internationals. But I suppose we guys have to take this game seriously too."

He went on to explain that captaining in matches was a hard ask. "It is not easy ... because you don't know what you will run into. You might have the best of plans but they may all have to be discarded at the spur of the moment.

"You have to be really thinking on your feet. There is very little time to take decisions with so much happening and it is not as if you have all the time in the world to formulate plans.

"The more wickets you take, better the chance for you to peg back the opposition. A couple of sixes and you will suddenly run out of ideas. So, it always helps if you are able to bag some wickets."

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/twen...ry/311446.html
    Said he was misquoted to Morrison on Sky, New Zealand guys are apparently big fans of 20/20...

Smacked over the hand by management perhaps?

SJS on the charge here in digging up comments!

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    GRAEME SMITH
    September 10, 2007
    Source : Official website of T20 WC

The thing about Twenty20 games is that since everyone expects them to be loaded in favour of batters, they are always under pressure to perform. So even though bowlers might complain that they get a raw deal in this format, they can actually change the tenor of the game with two or three quick wickets. For all that, a fielding captain will need to think out of the box and conjure up more than one backup gameplan if he is to restrain the opposition.

With most international teams finding their feet in this shorter version of the game, South Africa possesses a slight advantage because we have played more Twenty20 games than most of the other teams in the competition, particularly those from the subcontinent. I feel that this World Cup is more of a trial run, much like the way the first ODI World Cup was held in the 1970s. And just as ODI rules and regulations have been fine tuned over the years, so we will see a different version of Twenty20 by the time the next World Cup is held.

Personally, I feel a tournament once every two years would work well. The 20-over format is likely to be particularly useful in drawing new audiences to the game in countries like Bermuda, Canada, and the USA, and once they begin to develop an interest in cricket, I am pretty sure they will become involved in the longer versions as well. And I am also sure that these longer versions will benefit from Twenty20, because it teaches you the art of remaining calm under pressure and in front of a big crowd, and maximising your abilities. For a bowler, most importantly, it teaches you to keep coming back after being smashed around the park.

Finally, I believe the Twenty20 version will throw up the next generation of cricketing stars - like the MS Dhonis and the de Villiers'. These are the guys who will take cricket forward in the next five or six years, and they exemplify the kind of athleticism and aggression that are the basics of Twenty20. Without doubt, the format suits younger players, because it is all about instant runs and instant wickets, with no time for build-ups. But it isn't any less interesting for that.

He just keeps going this SJS!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information