• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think his position in the test team is more secure than his spot in the ODI team - and he's in no danger of being dropped from either tbh.

pup11

International Coach
Gilly's experience is worth its wait in gold and i think him being their with the likes of Hayden, Ponting are making sure that they can guide Australia in their transition period so that the team doesn't suffer because of the lack of experience.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Thought Gilly spoke pretty well here, although any reference to his discussion with the umpire is conspicuous in its absence.

pup11

International Coach
Gilly's confrontation with the umpire was uncalled for but TBH, that was an awful call from the umpire there was no way that was a no-ball from Hopes and the fact that the free-hit went for 6 might have further pissed Gilly off, but still that is no excuse for the way Gilly behaved with the umpire.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist
"I saw some really hard-fought cricket, There were some comments between different players and that happens. I also saw a few things that I wouldn't expect from my son, Harrison, in a backyard game of cricket."

"Sreesanth was quite outspoken about how he was going to take the challenge to us, He's said a lot in the press, and we see it. That's fine. We're not questioning that. That's no doubt the way he wants to play cricket. When we get our chance, we'll play aggressive cricket too."

The quicker we move on from this Twenty20, the better," he said with a wry smile. "Everything keeps getting drawn back to that. Congratulations to India, they had a wonderful victory, beautiful celebrations ... we all enjoyed it, we've never seen anything like it. But I'm more interested in the fact that we're 1-0 up in this one.

"You can't compare. Twenty20 is a different form of the game. We're not sitting back and reflecting on that Twenty20. It means nothing to us now.

"We're here, 50 overs, and that's what we've got to do. In 20 overs, there's so much good fortune that needs to go your way. If you play 10 Twenty20s in a row, you can't put money on who's going to win because it's so variable. But in 50-over cricket, the better side will win more often than not. That's what we're striving to be."​

Haddin :
"There's a fine line between stupidity and the spirit of cricket," referring to the run-out that never was. "You can judge for yourself."

"I didn't take too much notice of what was going on," he said wryly. "I wasn't really interested."​

Source : cricinfo

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gilchrist
"We're here, 50 overs, and that's what we've got to do. In 20 overs, there's so much good fortune that needs to go your way. If you play 10 Twenty20s in a row, you can't put money on who's going to win because it's so variable. But in 50-over cricket, the better side will win more often than not. That's what we're striving to be."​

Source : cricinfo
Not like that ever applied to Twenty20...

Somewhat amusing how some players still have no idea concerning Twenty20.

R_D

International Debutant
Sree Santh is gonna be the next man to come and he is probably borrowing Sachin's bat for that.
stop trying to be a dick just for the sake of it.
Great performance by the aussie middle order again.... Indian's bowling in middle overs and at death must be a big worry.
The spinners seemed useless again...... those boundries were so short... if you even just had an intention of hitting the ball, it went flying for 6. Kudos to Australia great performance.

Agree with SS.. not like Aus are exactly quite... Hayden and Symmonds were being their usual self. Hate the both of them.. so ugly to watch and on top of that absolute dicks on field.

Sreesanth needs to grow up acting like a little baby.
Thought Dhoni and Gilchrist were class ones again with the way they behaved.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To be fair, I think the guys who actually play the sport at the highest level have a better idea than some dweeb sitting at his computer desk.
Nah not necessarily. Some guys who played at the highest level neglect to include Hobbs in an all time England XI or rate Allan Donald worse than Tim May. If you think players' perception of ODI's have not changed from when they first came on to now, you're crazy. It took a while for players to warm up to ODIs too.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
:yawn: Seen/Done this debate at least 20 times in the last week - not doing so again, certainly not in this thread.

Perm

:yawn: Seen/Done this debate at least 20 times in the last week - not doing so again, certainly not in this thread.
Indeed, and silentstriker brought up some good points about why sideshowtim was wrong, so I don't think we'll need to get into it again.

Perm

Anyway, superb stuff from Sreesanth to last 25 balls and see Dhoni through to his 50. Courageous knock, showing he can back up some of his talk. If only he started performing with the ball.

Matt79

Global Moderator
He did well not to retire hurt after Dhoni clocked him with that lofted drive straight to the head - as the commentator on cricinfo observed, that was like a 200kph beamer right into the helmet. Was horribly afraid it had got in the gap between helmet and grill when he first went down - there was quite a bit of what turned out to be sweat dripping that I thought might be blood.

That said, he was very very lucky to last 25 balls, he played and missed at Johnson four times in an over, the other two balls being a very good bouncer he only just avoided and a pretty lucky bit of bat on ball. Still, the kid is game and being a number 11 you can't really hold his lack of batting ability against him. I lol'd at Fleming's commentary of Sreesanth practicing a lofted sweep shot after missing an attempted pull shot against Johnson.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah not necessarily. Some guys who played at the highest level neglect to include Hobbs in an all time England XI or rate Allan Donald worse than Tim May. If you think players' perception of ODI's have not changed from when they first came on to now, you're crazy. It took a while for players to warm up to ODIs too.
AWTA. I know from interviews with a number of Aussies in the 70s that they really didn't think much of ODIs in the early days, even at/ shortly after the 1st WC, they thought it was a bit of a side show and not important at all.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Sigh, on this specific occasion I don't think Gilly was having a dig at 20:20 as a format so much as having a dig at the Indian team and probably the media as well. Since they've arrived in India they've fielded non-stop questions about whether they're concerned that India beat them at the 20:20, and that India is now a world champion team, "just like" Australia. Look at his comments, all he's saying is that they won the 20:20 and that's great, but this is a separate series and India have gone 1-0 down and were lucky the first game was rained out. Other than that, all he has said is to express his enthusiasm for the current series, which would only be good manners I'd have thought.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sigh, on this specific occasion I don't think Gilly was having a dig at 20:20 as a format so much as having a dig at the Indian team and probably the media as well. Since they've arrived in India they've fielded non-stop questions about whether they're concerned that India beat them at the 20:20, and that India is now a world champion team, "just like" Australia. Look at his comments, all he's saying is that they won the 20:20 and that's great, but this is a separate series and India have gone 1-0 down and were lucky the first game was rained out. Other than that, all he has said is to express his enthusiasm for the current series, which would only be good manners I'd have thought.

If you play 10 Twenty20s in a row, you can't put money on who's going to win because it's so variable. But in 50-over cricket, the better side will win more often than not.

That's certainly having a go at the format, tbh.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah.... maybe. Forgot about that comment tbh ;)

Although he does have a point, albeit he's exaggerated it. The shorter the game, the more even the result is likely to be. You'd expect Zimbabwe to upset Australia more often in 20:20 than they do in ODIs, simply because Zimbabwe would have to maintain the intensity over a longer period. This is not a dig at 20:20 specifically. The same thing is patently true of ODIs in comparisons to Tests - to take Gilchrist's example the logical next step - a much weaker team will almost never win a test against good opposition because there are too many opportunities for the stronger team to reassert themselves if they have had a bad hour, that's less true in ODIs, and logically, less true again in 20:20. That's not to say that teams with better skills and tactics won't generally do better in 20:20 that crap teams (see, I'm moderating my tone! ;) )

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
Anyway, superb stuff from Sreesanth to last 25 balls and see Dhoni through to his 50. Courageous knock, showing he can back up some of his talk. If only he started performing with the ball.
Back up some of his talk? In what way? When did he ever say he was going to take it to the Aussies with the bat? He is yet to back up his talk. He said he aimed to take a 5 for at his home ground and he failed miserably and fairly got carted, picking up 2 late wickets when Symo and Hopes were going the tonk.

When SS was batting, the game was dead, and the Indians knew it was over, the security guards were out and Dhoni was knocking it around to get his 50. It doesn't really deserve any amount of special credit. He was nearly out about 10 times in those 25 balls anyway.

Dhoni really could've at the very least had a crack at it. Was very disappointed that he didn't.

sideshowtim

Banned

If you play 10 Twenty20s in a row, you can't put money on who's going to win because it's so variable. But in 50-over cricket, the better side will win more often than not.

That's certainly having a go at the format, tbh.
I believe he's right though. As indicated by the two teams who made the final. India and Pakistan aren't among the two best cricket sides in the world. Australia are. And they only won half their Twenty20 games. Yet they won all their World Cup 07 games. 50 over cricket is a truer test of cricketing ability, and therefore the winner will be the overall better team more often than 20/20 cricket.