• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
what does Chakde India actually mean? "Go India" or similar I presume.

The commentators have been driving me nuts with this though. They keep on showing the Chak de India signs in the crowd them saying "Yes, well, Chak de India, that seems to be the new slogan for the crowd, from the soundtrack of the movie". I've heard them say that about 20 times so far this series, without them ever once providing a translation! :ranting:
It comes from a new movie of that name about an Indian hockey team who are no-hopers that go on to win the World Cup (sounds familiar) and the movies theme song that goes "Chak de India"

It comes from a Punjabi Phrase : Chak De Phatte

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
what does Chakde India actually mean? "Go India" or similar I presume.

The commentators have been driving me nuts with this though. They keep on showing the Chak de India signs in the crowd them saying "Yes, well, Chak de India, that seems to be the new slogan for the crowd, from the soundtrack of the movie". I've heard them say that about 20 times so far this series, without them ever once providing a translation! :ranting:
Yeah means "Go India"!

Sreesanth having a terrible day so far damnit!

pup11

International Coach
It would have been better if Clarkie would have been batting at this stage of the game he would have handled the spin very well.

adharcric

International Coach
It comes from a new movie of that name about an Indian hockey team who are no-hopers that go on to win the World Cup (sounds familiar) and the movies theme song that goes "Chak de India"

One should add - Indian women's hockey team and they beat the dominant Aussies in the final. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Sounds like a Mighty Ducks rip-off.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like a Mighty Ducks rip-off.
Possible and it was released at a very appropriate time before the T20 world cup. The popularity of the movie and India's showing at the tournament and the resultant enthusiasm amongst Indian fans both fed off each other in a way.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Seen the posters for it here - I think it got a bit of a run down here.

This might be a question for Jono, but is Harbajhan the Matthew Richardson of world cricket - looks like a world beater some days, other days is pus, plus is never more than 2 seconds away from having a dummy spit at his teammates?

I've never seen a bowler so regularly crack it with his fielders as Harbajhan - terrible look.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Seen the posters for it here - I think it got a bit of a run down here.

This might be a question for Jono, but is Harbajhan the Matthew Richardson of world cricket - looks like a world beater some days, other days is pus, plus is never more than 2 seconds away from having a dummy spit at his teammates?

I've never seen a bowler so regularly crack it with his fielders as Harbajhan - terrible look.
I think Harbhajan has come back in the last three games with a different plan. He is clearly flighting the ball more. Its getting the ball to turn, he is beating the batsmen in flight and both driving and sweeping are not completely devoid of risk as they are with flatter deliveries.