• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You Indian supporters are too tough on your own team....India got 'em we (aussies) gotta get 'em....seen the Aussies fall flat on their faces chasing meagre totals. So support your team until after the game then analyse who should go or stay.
not really. whether we win or lose, this still happens to be a pathetic batting display and the problems I talked about have been with India for a while now. We haven't had a permanent #3 for ages and if you look at the best sides, they all have had a settled top 3. Is it just a coincidence that India have not done better inspite of having the best opening partnership ever in ODIs (arguably)?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Spot on. Badrinath should play the next match at 3. Thoughts?
I wouldn't mind anyone getting a go at 3, really.... But the thing is, the person should be given 3 games AT LEAST to prove himself. Musical chairs policy will not work and we have to bite the bullet and risk losing a series or two here. We are not exactly winning much anyways and we just have to be brave and try out a thing or two and settle down on a top 3 for ODIs. I also get this feeling that after the CB series, Sachin, Sourav and Rahul or at least a couple of them will quit ODIs to concentrate on tests. So we have to brace up for all that from now.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Badrinath should play, be it Uthappa or a bowler that gets the boot. Certainly not suggesting that Dravid should be dropped, though it's ironic that he quit the captaincy to focus on batting and his first few games turned out as they have.
I really dont see how Uthappa can be dropped to bring Badrinath.

The performance of neither of them points to such a decision.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Excellent bowling from Mitchell Johnson, needs more of these economical displays to get that economy rate down. Deadly wicket-taker on his day too, provides good variety. Fairly gutless from India.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really dont see how Uthappa can be dropped to bring Badrinath.

The performance of neither of them points to such a decision.
I don't think Uthappa should be dropped either but I have never been a fan of playing 3 left arm seamers. There is just too much sameness in the attack. Either Sree should come in for one of them or else a batsman. With Sourav and Sachin in the side and fit to bowl along with Yuvi, I think we can try going with 4 bowlers. Also, I think Dravid can be given a break. He seems very much out of it. He himself mentioned in one interview that he is not the one who socializes with the team too much, unlike Sachin and Sourav and that he is perhaps less outgoing than them. I dunno why and I can start a whole thread on my speculations on this issue, but it just seems to me like Dravid is a bit of a lonely figure in the team right now. Not quite in the Sreesanth, Harbhajan, Karthik, Uthappa group and not quite in the Sachin, Sourav, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Zaheer group either.... I get the feeling (and this is just purely speculation on my part) that he is a very lonely guy in the team at the moment and that he is not getting enough support. Maybe good to let him have a break. I think people like Vengsarkar, Sachin, Sourav, Dhoni should talk to him and tell him that he can take a break, go and have a lot of nets, iron out the little technical glitches that have crept into his game and then come back fresh for the challenger series. He will get a few games and hits there and if he gets back amongst the runs then, I am sure he will return as a hungrier player for the series against Pakistan and that will be so much better for us.

biased indian

International Coach
To make the game little bit more intresting
this game should be switched to a T20 and ask the australians to chase it down in 20 overs:)

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think Uthappa should be dropped either but I have never been a fan of playing 3 left arm seamers. There is just too much sameness in the attack. Either Sree should come in for one of them or else a batsman. With Sourav and Sachin in the side and fit to bowl along with Yuvi, I think we can try going with 4 bowlers. Also, I think Dravid can be given a break. He seems very much out of it. He himself mentioned in one interview that he is not the one who socializes with the team too much, unlike Sachin and Sourav and that he is perhaps less outgoing than them. I dunno why and I can start a whole thread on my speculations on this issue, but it just seems to me like Dravid is a bit of a lonely figure in the team right now. Not quite in the Sreesanth, Harbhajan, Karthik, Uthappa group and not quite in the Sachin, Sourav, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Zaheer group either.... I get the feeling (and this is just purely speculation on my part) that he is a very lonely guy in the team at the moment and that he is not getting enough support. Maybe good to let him have a break. I think people like Vengsarkar, Sachin, Sourav, Dhoni should talk to him and tell him that he can take a break, go and have a lot of nets, iron out the little technical glitches that have crept into his game and then come back fresh for the challenger series. He will get a few games and hits there and if he gets back amongst the runs then, I am sure he will return as a hungrier player for the series against Pakistan and that will be so much better for us.
Top post mate.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that Dravid may be feeling a bit off. Cant comment on the reasons but I dontr see how dropping him will help. He will be devastated.

Frankly I dont see his scores in the last two games as disasters.

Last game he was trying to force the pace - rememember it was the 46th over and India had seven wickets in hand. He scored 13 in 13 balls and got out to the 14th trying to steer it to third man. No issues whatsoever.

Today it was a first ball dismissal. Never something to judge a batsman's form on. His two lovely boundaries off the two deliveriws in the over in which he got out at Chandigarh is a better indication of what Dravid can do than this first ball lbw.

I have no idea how much Dhoni is talking to him regarding his batting order. These are early days in Dhoni's captaincy and the man who just preceded him (and voluntarily stepped down) needs a bit delicate handling. Not to say its not being done. One doesn't know.

But no dropping him sould be terrible. We may lose him completely.

This is the time for Sachin to do for Dravid what he did for Ganguly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree that Dravid may be feeling a bit off. Cant comment on the reasons but I dontr see how dropping him will help. He will be devastated.

Frankly I dont see his scores in the last two games as disasters.

Last game he was trying to force the pace - rememember it was the 46th over and India had seven wickets in hand. He scored 13 in 13 balls and got out to the 14th trying to steer it to third man. No issues whatsoever.

Today it was a first ball dismissal. Never something to judge a batsman's form on. His two lovely boundaries off the two deliveriws in the over in which he got out at Chandigarh is a better indication of what Dravid can do than this first ball lbw.

I have no idea how much Dhoni is talking to him regarding his batting order. These are early days in Dhoni's captaincy and the man who just preceded him (and voluntarily stepped down) needs a bit delicate handling. Not to say its not being done. One doesn't know.

But no dropping him sould be terrible. We may lose him completely.

This is the time for Sachin to do for Dravid what he did for Ganguly.
oh no.. I never said we should drop him. I am just feeling that maybe mentally he is too tired at the moment and also he is not in the best frame of mind right now. Maybe a break and a session or two with a counsellor and we should see the best of Dravid again. I never really said he should be dropped on performance, because he had a decent enough series in England and played well even at Kochi and has only had 2 failures really, in this series.

And for some reason, I still think Sachin and Dravid are not as thick as they used to be now. And I don't see Sachin doing what he did to Sourav with Dravid. :(

But I sure hope to God that I am wrong. :)

pup11

International Coach
Haydos should come off the field rather than staying their and probably making the injury even more worse, hope its nothing serious.

Last edited: