• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2007/08

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
First of all, great use of the term "agricultural". Underutilised.

Heard good reports about Adcock as a leader, to be honest. Deitz had to start off in the side. He makes more runs than Manou, and with Adcock having to be in the side, you need more runs from your keeper. Even if he were worse with the gloves, it may have to be a sacrifice you have to make if you're going to carry Adcock.

As you allude to, one of Cullen and Bailey has to be able to play a Casson-esque role, and be able to average nigh on 20, because there's going to be times where only one can be utilised properly because of conditions or match situation. You can't have two spinners contributing nothing other than the odd over when this is happening.

And I think you're right about Elliott. He used to joke how come contract time, he always felt great. But I think the knees are wearing on him a fair bit.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heard good reports about Adcock as a leader, to be honest.
Depends on the type of leader you're after. When I was at Uni, I remember Nat being a great guy at training, very friendly, etc. And yes, a good leader but one of the 'all-inclusive' type of leaders. What I reckon SA need is someone who arcs them up a bit, like Jeff Hammond did. SA were the same when he came along; talented but unfocussed group of individuals (as opposed to team). Just swap names like Shane George for Dan Cullen, Ben Johnston for Jason Borgas and Darren Webber for Cam Borgas. All of the signs are the same. The difference between then and now is that Jeff created the situation where players worked hard physically but also were united by his hard attitude towards them. instead, SA has gone the nicer way. And the results are showing (as they did last year too). Today's game's good start notwithstanding (although as of right now, Aiden Blizzard is starting to hit the ball well.

I'm heading down to the game tonight. Potentially a masochistic move.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Too bad that Lee and Bracken are useless at test level.

IMO our strongest test bowling lineup is:

Clark, Johnson, Hilfenhaus and MacGill.

Hilfenhaus got 85% of his wickets as top order wickets last season. He was also the leading wicket taker in the domestic competition. He is dangerous with the white ball and the red ball and I believe should be ahead of Tait and Lee for test honours.

Lee has perennially disappointed at test level, which is a shame because he's one of the best ODI quicks of all time. A bit like the Bevan of bowlers.
i refuse to comment till i see Midge and Hilfy play in tests (not domestic) and also coz Binger has much experience

but i have no doubt in the world that they have so so much talent... lots of 'x factor' stuff from those two..definate guns
its a shame Hilfy wont get a run for us a lot.. hopefully the rotation policy means we'll see him in the CB Series i suppose... but i wanna see him in tests...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Everyone here knows that I'm no huge fan of Lee at test level and I think he has got a run in the side several times because of his 'pace' factor. Ashes 2001 and ahead of Kaspa 2005 are two series that stand out.

However, not even I would suggest not picking Lee for the first test against Sri Lanka. But, he does need to be the 'leader' rather than the strike bowler and will need to have good performances early in the international summer.

Laurrz

International Debutant
the veteran leg-spinner, a late withdrawal from the New South Wales team in the recent Pura Cup match against Western Australia in Perth, claims he will be fit for the Pura Cup match against Queensland at Sydney Cricket Ground, beginning next Friday.

He must get through the match without any hindrance from the injury and pull up well for the four-man selection panel to be convinced that he will last a five-day Test.

"I know I'll be fit to play," MacGill said yesterday.

"I expect to play against Queensland and I expect to play in Brisbane."

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Everyone here knows that I'm no huge fan of Lee at test level and I think he has got a run in the side several times because of his 'pace' factor. Ashes 2001 and ahead of Kaspa 2005 are two series that stand out.

However, not even I would suggest not picking Lee for the first test against Sri Lanka. But, he does need to be the 'leader' rather than the strike bowler and will need to have good performances early in the international summer.
Good to hear. Lee's test performances for the last couple of years have actually been good - post 2005 Ashes. He had a good home summer immediately after the Ashes, a great tour of South Africa, and last summer he had a couple of poor tests and then improved, and even in the poor tests he had moments where he showed real class at test level. His bowling in the second innings in Adelaide had a huge impact on winning that test, even though he was outshone by Warne, and that was the turning point in his Ashes series. The last three tests he bowled solidly.

There's simply no way he can be dropped. Obviously if he had a poor home summer there would be some justification given his indifferent performances over the years, but his record (and his actual bowling, at that) in the last couple of years is fine and people who write him off because of his career average need to take that into account.

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
Good to hear. Lee's test performances for the last couple of years have actually been good - post 2005 Ashes. He had a good home summer immediately after the Ashes, a great tour of South Africa, and last summer he had a couple of poor tests and then improved, and even in the poor tests he had moments where he showed real class at test level. His bowling in the second innings in Adelaide had a huge impact on winning that test, even though he was outshone by Warne, and that was the turning point in his Ashes series. The last three tests he bowled solidly.

There's simply no way he can be dropped. Obviously if he had a poor home summer there would be some justification given his indifferent performances over the years, but his record (and his actual bowling, at that) in the last couple of years is fine and people who write him off because of his career average need to take that into account.
very true.. IMO he has found a nice length to bowl at.. between those yorkers and those bouncers... and the good thing is he hasnt stopped bowling yorkers bouncers either and its not a surprise thing

pup11

International Coach
Good to see Tait pick up some wickets after his comeback from injury and Cosgrove too scored some runs after a long time, i have always rated Cosgrove pretty highly but his temperament has probably been his weakness otherwise the talent is pretty much there.

Mister Wright

I still think Lee has survived on McGrath and Warne and if it weren't for them his average would be above 40. I personally don't think he will rise to the challenge, but he'll have to for Australia to win - there's no doubt about that.

brockley

International Captain
What i heard was deitz was dropped for the match,didn't know he had been sacked as the keeper,crap news.
Deitz averaged 40 their last season gotta be in the team somewhere.
I think it will be a revolving door at adelaide this year,only players see who are safe are adock because he is captain,lehman,tait,and manou because they have made him keeper for the year,don't think even gillespie is safe.
The cullen bailey combination has me buggarred ,they just don't work but they keep picking them together,confounds me.1 or the other i am afraid.

pup11

International Coach
Tassies in big trouble atm, 7-119 of 40 overs so that's not great going, Dighton and Marsh had a decent partnership but other than that they have been pretty dire today.
Credit needs to got to the Warriors too they put the Tigers into bat and they never allowed their innings to gain any momentum, Heal and Voges have bowled well today backed up by some very good fielding.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Oh, whaddya no, Heal bowled like a gun. Again.

Cullen: "So Heal how'd you bowl?"
Heal: "Like 2/18 off 10, you?"
Cullen: "Yeah, probably something freaking crap."
Heal: "Again?"
Cullen: "Yeah, again."
Heal: "Unlucky mate, here's $50,000 to cheer you up. Good luck at the SCG, I'd say give the Lankans a hard time, but I'm too much of a nice bloke."
Cullen: "S'alright, I'll sledge the crap out of them 'cause I'm a gay ratbag."
Heal: "Alright then, I'll be praying for you, all the best."

Note I've used 'Cullen' so it could be Dan or Bailey. Heal for Australia.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Hahaha.... yeah Heal bowled well today and so did Voges but Tigers were humiliated today, Warriors had a perfect game not only winning the game by 8 wickets but also securing a BP.
Today while watching Langer bat i felt why didn't this guy open for Australia in Odi cricket too, he would have been a better choice than someone like Katich (IMO).
Cullen's = Gay ratbag!! :lol:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australian players Matthew Hayden, Andrew Symonds, James Hopes and Mitchell Johnson have been named in the XXXX GOLD Queensland Bulls team for next week’s Pura Cup match against NSW in Sydney.

The quartet will link with the rest of the Bulls squad in Sydney next week following the final match of their Indian limited overs tour this weekend.

While the international players will return, the Queensland selectors did not consider injured pace bowlers Michael Kasprowicz (calf) and Andy Bichel (shoulder) or allrounder Shane Watson (hamstring).

Chairman of Selectors Ray Phillips said while wicket-keeper Chris Hartley (wrist) had been cleared to return after missing last week’s Pura Cup season opener against Tasmania, the selectors had been conservative with regards the trio’s availability.

“Each of those players is making progress with their injuries and we expect them to come under consideration for the Bulls tour match against Sri Lanka,’’ he said.

The Australian players replace Aaron Nye, Greg Moller, Chris Swan and Ben Cutting from the side that took first innings points against Tasmania at the Gabba.

Queensland meets Sri Lanka at Allan Border Field from Friday November 2 to Sunday November 4.

In other selection news, Queensland today named the same line-up that opened the Ford Ranger Cup season last week at the Gabba for Wednesday’s day/night clash at the SCG against the Blues.

Batsman Martin Love has been named in the Queensland Academy of Sport team for next week’s Cricket Australia Cup 2nd XI match against Western Australia.

Love is on the comeback trail from a knee reconstruction and will play club cricket this weekend for University of Queensland against Toombul at Ken Mackay Oval.

FORD RANGER CUP

XXXX GOLD Queensland Bulls v NSW Blues, Wednesday, SCG.

Jimmy Maher (c), Scott Brant, Ryan Broad, Michael Buchanan, Chris Hartley, Ashley Noffke, Aaron Nye, Clinton Perren, Craig Philipson, Nathan Reardon, Chris Simpson, Grant Sullivan (12th man to be named).

PURA CUP

XXXX GOLD Queensland Bulls v NSW Blues, Friday - Sunday, SCG.

Jimmy Maher (c), Ryan Broad, Daniel Doran, Chris Hartley, Matthew Hayden, James Hopes, Mitchell Johnson, Ashley Noffke, Clinton Perren, Chris Simpson, Grant Sullivan, Andrew Symonds. (12th man to be named).

CRICKET AUSTRALIA CUP 2nd XI

QAS v WA, Monday – Thursday, Floreat Oval.

Nick Kruger (c), Martin Love, Greg Moller, Lee Carseldine, Andy Michaels, Wade Townsend, Murray Bragg, Ryan Le Loux, Ben Laughlin, Worrin Williams, Matthew Turich, Bayden Matheson. (12th man to be named).

______________________________________________________________________________________________

I am glad the selectors went with Sullivan ahead of Cutting and Swan, and also pleased with Broad getting picked ahead of Moller who made a very good score in his only bat so far this season. Moller will get his chance when Hayden is in the test team.

Good to see Chris Hartley back, and It'll be good if Martin Love makes some runs in the 2nd Tier comp. He made 90 on the weekend, so it's good to here he spent some time in the middle.

Last edited:

stephen

First round of results are up for the domestic comp on cricket.com.au.

I managed to eek out a 1178 points despite mistakenly not selecting a captain and having Bichel pull out at the last minute.

Laurrz

International Debutant
1090 for me :(

i picked Bichel and Rofe who contributed nothing

but in my league its matches so i won my match