• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stats are evil

jammay123

State 12th Man
to quote Benjamin Disraeli 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics'

statistics can be manipulated to suits the users needs and requirements. i like francis whos belifs on statistics were linked on another post their is more to cricket than stats

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They mean nothing in the scenario Swervy is talking, If Kallis and Richard played in the same era, I would have picked Richards every time regardless of what his stat looked against a particular team or particular bowler.

Some Examples - Ricky Ponting's stats are poor(understatement) against India in India. Would I pick Simon Katich to replace him for any futur tours of India, NO WAY.

Shane Warne's stats against India in first few series were really poor, would I pick Michael Clark ahead of him, NO, Never.
Because their stats in other areas more than make up their deficiencies in one place.....

Swervy

International Captain
What about S/R? Or stats against a specific team? Are you saying stats mean nothing or are you saying that in this situation, a specific stat (average) means less?

Big difference.
Strike Rate? Well they are so heavily influenced by situation.

I dont think stats mean NOTHING however you have to see that a great player is not a great player BECAUSE of his stats, the stats are a mere by-product, and even then simply do not tell the full story, in that a player who is considered to be, by his peers, by umpires, by commentators, by writers and by spectators, a great player may not have stats that would suggest that....see Ian Botham

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because their stats in other areas more than make up their deficiencies in one place.....
Ricky is a proven failure against India in India, based on stats alone, why should he be picked for a tour of India ? That he averages 60 against everyone and everywhere else shouldn't matter here.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ricky is a proven failure against India in India, based on stats alone, why should he be picked for a tour of India ? That he averages 60 against everyone and everywhere else shouldn't matter here.
Sure, because of overwhelming superiority in all other cases, I would give him a chance to redeem himself, knowing that if he does, he'll be more valuable than anyone else. If he had an average of 12 in the entire subcontinent, I wouldn't pick him (well, unless he was the captain).

adharcric

International Coach
Thought this would be better as a seperate thread:

Yeah, the way they are used is evil. Stats are merley a part of a broader picture. They come into play, granted, but only together with a larger case for and against a player that involve many other factors. I have very little time for people who say a player is good or bad and then go on to explain why that is so based on stats. I find those posters just don't get 'it'.

For me, I base my opinion on a player on what I've seen, what I've read, how high his fellow players rate him and how highly people's whose opinions I respect rate the person and then on top of that we have the stats to make a complete picture of the player and their career.

I can't help but cringe at people who write off O'Reilly, Grace, Trumper because they take a quick look at their numbers on their cricinfo profile page. So yeah, I find the way stats are being used in assesing cricketers at times quite 'evil'.

Thoughts?
Statistics are obviously only one part of the puzzle but they are an important part. You think statistics can be deceptive? Opinions and anecdotes can be equally, or rather even more deceptive. Richard accurately pointed out that most opinions are full of prejudice and bias. Statistics are "evil" if they are used how they usually are - selective manipulation to support a pre-determined stance. Yet, statistics can be examined with a greater degree of objectivity and very often reveal more about a cricketer's achievement. For example, you could watch Sehwag bat and laud him as a match-winner (as many commentators seem to do), but only statistics reveal that he's actually been very inconsistent - rather, consistently poor (in one-day cricket). On the whole, I do agree with you that there is more to a player's achievement than mere statistics, even if the statistics are examined objectively ... but going purely on opinions is also not getting 'it'.

adharcric

International Coach
That's a great example of the kind of analysis that makes people think stats are "evil".

pasag

RTDAS
Statistics are obviously only one part of the puzzle but they are an important part. You think statistics can be deceptive? Opinions and anecdotes can be equally, or rather even more deceptive. Richard accurately pointed out that most opinions are full of prejudice and bias. Statistics are "evil" if they are used how they usually are - selective manipulation to support a pre-determined stance. Yet, statistics can be examined with a greater degree of objectivity and very often reveal more about a cricketer's achievement. For example, you could watch Sehwag bat and laud him as a match-winner (as many commentators seem to do), but only statistics reveal that he's actually been very inconsistent - rather, consistently poor (in one-day cricket). On the whole, I do agree with you that there is more to a player's achievement than mere statistics, even if the statistics are examined objectively ... but going purely on opinions is also not getting 'it'.
Thus the line "...on top of that we have the stats to make a complete picture of the player and their career."

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sure, because of overwhelming superiority in all other cases, I would give him a chance to redeem himself, knowing that if he does, he'll be more valuable than anyone else. If he had an average of 12 in the entire subcontinent, I wouldn't pick him (well, unless he was the captain).
Let's not shift the goal post. Pitches in India, Pakistan and SriLanka are not of same or similar nature, at least not in the era Ricky Ponting has played. Ricky has played 8(?) tests in India over a period of 10 years and on the basis of stats alone, you would be forced to keep him out.

adharcric

International Coach
Yeah, I read that. Personally, I'd have it the other way around: the opinions, anecdotes, etc. on top of the stats. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Let's not shift the goal post. Pitches in India, Pakistan and SriLanka are not of same or similar nature, at least not in the era Ricky Ponting has played. Ricky has played 8(?) tests in India over a period of 10 years and on the basis of stats alone, you would be forced to keep him out.
No, it depends on who replaces him. If the replacement averages 50+ in India, of course. If not, then you have a better chance betting on Ponting to come through based on his overwhelming record elsewhere.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's a great example of the kind of analysis that makes people think stats are "evil".
But, this is exactly that is being done here by a lot of members. Stats are treated above everything including cricket history, cricketers, cricket books etc. According to them everything is biased and the only true and neutral assessment can be dont through stats.

adharcric

International Coach
But, this is exactly that is being done here by a lot of members. Stats are treated above everything including cricket history, cricketers, cricket books etc. According to them everything is biased and the only true and neutral assessment can be dont through stats.
Well, a true and neutral assessment of stats should come ahead of cricket history, cricketers and cricket books, though these factors should also be considered. On the other hand, a flawed assessment of stats means next to nothing. It all depends on how objectively the stats are analyzed.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think the problem can be illustrated like this-

Richard - Nasser Hussain is the greatest player ever
Sane person - No, he's not
Richard - No but i took all the games when Hayden scored under ten and found out he only averages 9.99, Hussain on the other hand averages 1009 on minefield pitches against amazing bowling attacks, what stats do you have to back up your argument?
Sane person - Hussain's average is grossly inferior
Richard - No no no judging players by averages isn't good enough, to be a real debator you have to make up a mythological and inane statistic about your player, i have made up several, therefore, i win

Richard always wins by default because no one can be bothered arguing the statistics battle.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, a true and neutral assessment of stats should come ahead of cricket history, cricketers and cricket books, though these factors should also be considered. On the other hand, a flawed assessment of stats means next to nothing. It all depends on how objectively the stats are analyzed.
Exactly. There might be a hundred million people in India writing tomorrow that Dhoni is the best batsman of all time, and someone who knows about cricket, Shane Warne, just put Tim May as the best finger spinner in his list.

I love to hear and read people's views, including books, history, analysis by respected historians, but in the end it has to be backed up. And Warne is not the exception. A guy many consider to be one of the foremost, if not the most knowledgeable guy around (Benaud), and he didn't have a single West Indian bowler in his all time xi, his 2nd all time xi and his 3rd all time xi. The people he picked weren't bad bowlers, and he certainly made a convincing case for each of them. But 99% of others, if asked to provide THREE all time XIs, would certainly have at least one west indian fast bowler, no?

Tony Greig neglected to have Sir Jack Hobbs in his English all time XI. Thirty years from now, historians will quote Tony Greig and explaining why he is the font of all knowledge while the guys who look at stats will bang their heads.

Stats, properly interpreted, and taken in context with other stats of the same era, are the great equalizer. I said O'Reilly had a relatively high S/R. But that doesn't mean I can compare that S/R directly with Warne's. Or Trumper's average directly with Lara. That's not looking at them the right way.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the problem can be illustrated like this-

Richard - Nasser Hussain is the greatest player ever
Sane person - No, he's not
Richard - No but i took all the games when Hayden scored under ten and found out he only averages 9.99, Hussain on the other hand averages 1009 on minefield pitches against amazing bowling attacks, what stats do you have to back up your argument?
Sane person - Hussain's average is grossly inferior
Richard - No no no judging players by averages isn't good enough, to be a real debator you have to make up a mythological and inane statistic about your player, i have made up several, therefore, i win

Richard always wins by default because no one can be bothered arguing the statistics battle.
8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, cricket is a team sport and how a player contributes to the team is the most important factor that often can't be merely represented in output. For example a bowler who beats the bat 6 times in an over and totally kills the batsmans confidence and then the next over a different bowler cleans him up on the others work, that's not represented in output. Or a bowler can take one vital wicket that totally changes the match is only represented as one wicket when in reality it is so much more, I think in ODI cricket more than anything stats are useless (more batting than bowling at a glance) with different style knocks needed for different situations, especially chasing, something that stats never take into account (obviously this applies in Tests as well but I feel it's much more pronounced in the limited overs stuff). I find so often a players figures at the end of a match don't represent their actual performance and the significance of their contribution to the side.
I don't find it often, I find it every now and then. These cases are outnumbered vastly by the times that a player's match figures either do him justice or flatter him.

There is no place in Test cricket for a bowler who beats outside edges all the time - fortunately, however, such bowlers are, well, non-existent really. If you beat edges, you'll hit them often, far more than you'll keep beating them.

TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually , I think it was you the other day that said about Owais Shah that you though he 'had it' (might not be the exact wording , but something like it). Thats it, you probably dont know exactly what that 'it' is, but you can sense in players. Its just that something that separates players, even though they might have exactly the same average or whatever.
I disagree completely. Too often looks obscure output. It's no good if a player is perceived "to have it" if he's getting out cheaply ATT.

You cannot sense "it", you can think you do and nothing more. I could name countless hundreds of cases where people say "he's got summat about him" and his output is actually negligable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or say Flintoffs 95 vs SA a few years back. 95 out of 604, in an innings where someone got 219 and someone else got 124, does not look overly special. But those of us who saw it, realise the impact that innings had on English cricket. It moved people. That is something that cannot be measured. Now in 30 years time when our kids or grandkids are chatting away on this forum about players, what a travesty it would be if special moments like the above (there are plenty of others) or players were completely misjudged because something like Statsguru or whatever cant convey the emotional side of this game.
The emotional side of the game has nothing to do with judging the skill and impact on the actual match in question. In this case, Trescothick and Thorpe's contributions (as Matthew Engel - as so often - put it succinctly) were the case; Flintoff's was merely the icing. Trescothick's contribution > Flintoff's, and this is from someone who has never really rated the batting of either that much.