• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lehmann's outburst

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie_beater said:
Forget about what that guy said.....who gives a damn.

The point is Lehmann said something he shouldn't have.And that's enough for him to be punished.No one is judging whether he is a person with a racial bias or anything.That's not under consideration here.He may very well be quite the amiable type, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he uttered a horrible slur in there and that's all there is to it.
Yeah I understand what you mean. I'm not condoning it in any way, actually to be fair I've been picked on enough times in my life because I have some minor disabilities, but then who doesn't? Also I was in Manchester recently and was picked on because I was white which was rather odd for me because I had done nothing. What I am annoyed about is that people can get away with writing things about how this guy is evil and should be banned for life when they arn't even brave enough to sign it with their own name at the bottom. This guy seems to have forgotten who the really evil racist people in this world are, the ones who get away with it too...Mugabe, Saddam...:rolleyes:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
This guy seems to have forgotten who the really evil racist people in this world are, the ones who get away with it too...Mugabe, Saddam...:rolleyes:
For me the two attributes....being racist(or just uttering some racist crap) and getting away with it, are two different things.The racist part is the crime, while the getting away part is the same as getting away with any another crime and nothing to do with racism per se.

ICC or any other sports body can only crack down on racism in the sport that it controls. Remember Lleyton Hewitts comment in the 2001 US Open second round(or quarter final was it ?) where he was playing James Blake(a black guy) and a black linesman called a few foot faults against Hewitt and he walked up to the umpire and said something like " Can't you see the similarity here ? Just get him off the court"... Now USTA did nothing and Hewitt won that match and went on to win the Open.

There are many more such incidents and they have to be rooted out through exemplary punishment.

sasnoz

Banned
DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT POSTING ANYTHING LIKE THAT AGAIN

He isn't going to have the chance now - he's just been banned! - James :!(

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Racism has no place in the game. Even if a player (hypothetically) thinks nothing wrong with calling someone by a name which may be considered racist, they should respect the sport. Cricket is global game and IMO, it brings the world together. Therefore, players should respect the feelings and culture of their fellow cricketers.

Wazztodd

Cricket Spectator
It is a fairly common occurance in the world of sports still unfortunately. Shaquille O'Neill is in trouble over here for making racist type derogotory remarks about Yao Ming, basically mocking the guys language. Shaq was trying to be funny, is basically not the smartest guy going around, and was too dumb to see how offensive it would be to millions of Chinese people. I'm convinced O'Neill doesn't have a racist bone in his body, he's just none too bright. Gave a very dodgy apology, and that was it.

While Lehmann wasn't trying to be funny, and wasn't being interviewed by reporters at the time, I see similarities. Mouth working, brain not involved, basically. Emotion running high etc. There's ways and reasons to express dissapointment anger and outrage at others, their ethnicity is never one of those ways and it's a little sad that these things still come out of peoples mouths, when I'm sure (and hope) that inside themselves they know better.

You should hear the sledging I cop in cricket matches over here! It's great! "Convict; sheep-worrier;" that kind of thing. There's only one other Aussie in our whole league, and it just cracks us up. I even cop it from my team-mates! :lol:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Bazza Im not racist at all I think Lehmann should have got a more harsh suspension but I am just not sure wether it has much relevence to Yorkshire. Maybe I am wrong.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Rik said:
He also trys to paint a picture that Lehmann is an evil person who only apologised to get off a bigger punishment.
I'm not saying Lehmann is an evil person or whatever, but lets face it, it's easy to say sorry after the damage is done.

Eclipse - I wasn't necessarily looking for an answer to that question, and I wasn't accusing you of anything either. I was trying to get you to ask yourself whether you are racist, or condone racism. Hopefully the answer is no. Not just you - everyone.

I'm not saying Lehmann's career should be ruined, everyone makes mistakes granted. However I do think he should be punished, and I do think he should be made an example of so that cricket can (hopefully) eradicate racism from this game. I know it's not going to solve the whole problem, but if people like professional sportspersons can act as role models, it might help the situation a little bit.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Lehman is not racist and neither is Shaq, but they both said things that were disrespectful to a particular race of people. For that they need to be punished. Lehman got the punishment rightly so and Shaq did not (should have).

But after these 5 matches it should be the end of it, there should not be any kind of stigma attached to Lehman's career.

The punishment inmy opinion is essential because it sets the right precedence, who cares what his motivitation was, or if he ha grown up saying this kind of things. What he said was wrong, he hsould not have, and htis punishment, will teach him and other players a lesson, and as a result Im sure we will have less of these incidents.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Bazza Im not racist at all I think Lehmann should have got a more harsh suspension but I am just not sure wether it has much relevence to Yorkshire. Maybe I am wrong.
Yorkshire have a big problem getting the Asian's in the county involved - if their captain and figurehead says that sort of thing about Asians, it doesn't look too good for the counties initiatives does it?

Top_Cat

Eclipse - I wasn't necessarily looking for an answer to that question, and I wasn't accusing you of anything either. I was trying to get you to ask yourself whether you are racist, or condone racism. Hopefully the answer is no. Not just you - everyone.
Oh for crying out loud, grow up. It's palpably OBVIOUS he doesn't condone racism because he believes Lehmann's sentence was harsh. Do you honestly believe he does??? Stop trying to bait him because continuing to ask the question is inflammatory and not conducive to intelligent or rational debate in an issue such as this.

Being of Australian Aboriginal descent myself, I've dealt with people who argue in a passive-aggressive manner like your statement above MANY times and it almost invariably results in abuse because it provokes a defensive, rather than thoughtful, response.

In short, try to be a little less evasive and make an argument.

That said, Lehmann's sentence wasn't what I would have given him. I can understand wanting to eradicate racism in sport but I'm sorry, your fighting a losing battle if that's the case. Individuals will always have their own opinions and will occasionally voice them when they think people aren't listening...........it's simply a battle that cannot be won, like eradicating racism in general.

So the battles that need to be won are borne from logical questions;

Why would someone's racist attitude become a problem? It would if a racist person were in charge of a cricket board or selections of players for example. So there needs to be put in place systems where peoples' racist attitudes cannot influence the course of a match or selection.

This is where the real battle is. As I've noted previously, Australia has had one player of Asian descent play for their Test side in recent memory and NONE of Aboriginal descent for many years, barring Jason Gillespie. This cannot simply be attributed to there not being decent players in the Aboriginal or Asian communities. It's, in part, racist attitudes of selectors and administrators which prevent players from playing purely based on ability.

So again, selection systems must reflect the reality that there ARE racists at all levels of the game BUT that their thoughts not influence the progress of anyone other than themselves. This may seem like an impossible idea but is it any more improbable than eradicating racism from sport in general?

Punishing Lehmann for what he said was probably the right thing to do in the end. The danger is that people will think that this is the right way to go in ALL cases and worse, that this is now the end of the issue.

Lloyd goofed up on this big time.He should have handed the sentence right at the beginning and there should have been no necessity for Mal Speed to come into the picture.Was he not aware of the ICC policy of cracking down on racial stuff ?
I would suggest he'd be WELL aware, considering where he's come from, in terms of his captaincy and administrative career. And taking into consideration the racial abuse he would have suffered himself throughout his life, maybe he thought this was relatively minor.

Last edited:

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
He said something in the heat of the moment when the brain was switched off. he was justly punished for it and has copped it sweet. That should be the end of it.

Call me a cynic but the Sri Lankans have come out smelling like roses again. They were rightly ticked off about the comment and complained but then backed down when it came to the crunch. They knew that Lehmann was going down (regardless of the apology) and must have felt that they would get better PR if they pleaded for leniency for Lehmann. If it had happened in Sri Lanka he would have been hung drawn and quartered from the start.

I'm not for a minute suggesting that they shouldn't have complained but am saying that they have manipulated the event to make themselves look better after it.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The Argonaut said:

I'm not for a minute suggesting that they shouldn't have complained but am saying that they have manipulated the event to make themselves look better after it.
That's ridiculous..... I don't know about any psychic in the SL team who could have read Mal Speed's mind even before he opened his mouth on the issue.Their decision not to press charges was genuinely sincere and there is not an iota of doubt whatsoever about it.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
T_C,

you are right that this is not the end of the issue i.e. racism. But this incident wasnt meant to do that, infact its not even directly related to the issue of racism in my opinion. This was just a matter of a stupid man saying something stupid, and getting punished for it so he and hopefully other stupid men are a little discouraged about saying irresponsible things more often. If it doesnt work then big deal.

The racism issue has not ended, but this issue i.e. lehman's inappropriate comments, has ended.

Top_Cat

you are right that this is not the end of the issue i.e. racism. But this incident wasnt meant to do that, infact its not even directly related to the issue of racism in my opinion. This was just a matter of a stupid man saying something stupid, and getting punished for it so he and hopefully other stupid men are a little discouraged about saying irresponsible things more often. If it doesnt work then big deal.

The racism issue has not ended, but this issue i.e. lehman's inappropriate comments, has ended.
Mate, you have to make a distinction between how you, a rational thinking, intelligent person and certain spin doctors in the press see in this situation. You see a stupid, ignorant comment by one man whereas other see an evil racist and that by silencing him, they silence all racist thoughts and speech in cricket.

Just you watch as people get as much mileage out of this as they possibly can. It's far from over, in my opinion. Lehmann is going to be vilified in the press for much time to come because people will see it as symptomatic of a racist Aussie team. It wouldn't take much for someone to, for example, have 'heard' or 'heard about the time' Justin Langer or someone else uttered a racist remark in a nightclub or something. Then it's just a hop, skip and a jump from there to labelling the entire Aussie team a bunch of rednecks, particularly because of our atrocious stance towards Muslims, asylum-seekers, Australian Aboriginal people and Asian people. People would look at the team as just a representative of the wider population at large and it would explode from there.

Hell, Murali's colour wasn't mentioned at all when he was no-balled for throwing years ago, yet it was portrayed in the SL press as a 'black and white thing'. Now that race has actually been mentioned, they'll have a field day.

A stupid comment is what it was, no doubt. But there are so many angles that manipulative parties can push this from, it's a tinderbox just waiting to be lit.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Hell, Murali's colour wasn't mentioned at all when he was no-balled for throwing years ago, yet it was portrayed in the SL press as a 'black and white thing'. Now that race has actually been mentioned, they'll have a field day.
If they do they'll look pretty stupid if you ask me. Murali being called has nothing to do with his colour, and a completely unrelated incident 3 or 4 years later doesn't alter that.

Top_Cat

If they do they'll look pretty stupid if you ask me. Murali being called has nothing to do with his colour, and a completely unrelated incident 3 or 4 years later doesn't alter that.
Well YOU know that and *I* know that and everyone with a functional cerebral cortex knows that but people with an agenda are a dangerous proposition.

Legglancer

State Regular
Hi Fellow Cricket lovers..... I dont neccasaryly agree with everything this article says, but I have to agree on some of the points. Hopefully The readership in this forum will be forthcoming with a critical analysis of Michael Roberts article.

Racism In Cricket ?

From Michael Roberts

Darren Lehmann's conviction for indulging in a racial slur and thus a Category 3 offence
within the code of behaviour for cricketers has been rightly welcomed in many quarters
as a step in the right direction. Indeed, the ICC, and Malcolm Speed in particular, are to
be applauded for their forthright intervention in this regard.

The Incident

For the benefit of those who are not familiar with the particulars, the incident occurred
on the 13th January during the ODI game between Australia and Sri Lanka at the Gabba
in Brisbane. This was a tight match, marked by some good bowling and some slick
fielding efforts. Among the latter was a neat pick-up-and-throw by Arnold that resulted
in Lehmann's run-out via Third Umpire's decision at a critical moment in the game. As he
went through the tunnel in front of both change-rooms, Lehmann roared “Black c…s.”
This shout was heard by Duleep Mendis and those Sri Lankans who were in the change

It appears that this remark was brought to the notice of the match referee, Clive Lloyd, by
the Sri Lankan management. One would expect all the ICC referees to have addressed
the issue as a serious infringement; but since Lloyd, a West Indian, falls within the
category “black whatever,” the situation was deeply ironic.

Lehmann realised his error immediately and apologised to the Sri Lankans, both verbally
and in writing. The latter were satisfied with this remorse and did not wish to pursue the
matter further – a case of damage control no doubt. But there are larger issues at stake
and Speed had the courage to pursue this matter and send a clear message to all players,
whether White, Coloured and Black: ethnic remarks will not be tolerated. An important
step this. But in line with my previous writings I wish that the ICC would go further and
take action against demeaning obscenities and masculinist vocabulary in general.
Should our modern gladiators be allowed to freely disparage women by referring to their
genitalia and using other words, such as “c… er” that we are not allowed to print? I will
leave that issue in the air however and attend to the immediate aftermath of the Lehmann
obscenity.

Much has been made of the fact that it was not directed at anyone specifically. But he
was not speaking soto voice to himself. It was a shout in the public realm; indeed, a
public realm that embraced the Sri Lankan dressing room nearby. So how in-your-face
has disparagement to be in order to be deemed “direct”?

Lehmann has also contended that the expression was a product of his “frustration”
(Point A). His lawyer, and subsequently Dav Whatmore, have stressed that Lehmann is
“not racist” (Point B). Both are lines of excuse and damage control. Let me argue against
these views seriatim.

Frustration?

Speaking as a social scientist, let me emphasise that it is at moments of pressure and
stress that one reveals one's innermost feelings. Hate-speech erupts when someone is
drunk, angry or aroused by an alarming piece of news.

Take one famous occasion during the finals of the ODI series in Australia in 1996. In the course of
a cameo innings Sanath Jayasuriya hit Glenn McGrath for fours in typical,
slashing-Sanath style. As he reached the bowling crease after one such stroke, the
camera caught McGrath shouldering Sanath and saying something. The camera
technicians with audio turned low would have heard his words and any professional
lip-reader could have read the expression. The story in Lankan circles is that he called
Sanath a “black monkey.” McGrath's actions were not mere aberration. His words
expressed gut-feeling.

In the present context of disciplinary codes this may well be a Category 4 offence
leading to a life-ban. It is because no such codes were in place then that players have
continued to indulge in the verbal intimidation that occasionally takes a racist form.
Grapevine talk around the Sri Lankan cricket team suggests that they encountered some
racial vilification on the field in South Africa a few months back in late 2002. At a
meeting to a Sports History group in Adelaide a few years back, Roger Wills of the ABC
was moved to disclose the fact that the younger members of the West Indian team that
toured Australia last had been specifically targeted with “religious abuse” that was
designed to get under their skin. I was not able to get further details and must therefore
surmise that Sarwan and Ganga, rather than Samuels, were the victims and that Hindu beliefs were assaulted.

The ICC has within it's powers a simple
remedy that would obviate the need to have disciplinary tribunals: all they have to do is
to insert a clause in all contracts with the firms that tender for TV rights stipulating that
stump-audio has to be turned full-on. That would constrain the Haydens, Bouchers,
Halls and Kallises of today's world of cricket from exercising their foul-mouth
obscenities at the same time as they restrict racial vilification.

Racism in the Politics of Cricket

A journalist with wide experience and a heart in politics, Ted Corbett insists that cricket
is one of the last institutionalised bastions of racism in the world today, albeit a racism
that operates in insidious and subterranean ways -- through inbuilt assumptions as
much as taken-for-granted practices. Because of the “tyranny of distance” as well as its
continental scale, Australia is a central force in this order. Indeed, occupying the place
of supreme cricketing country today, Australians comfortably occupy the moral high
ground and confidently express their own values as universal values. So, to paraphrase
Terry Jenner on ABC radio, if Brett Lee can take “sledging” from opposing cricket fans,
well, why can't Murali? In short, Aussie-man should be universal man, the measure of all
things.

Do not get me wrong. This does not apply to all Australians. One has only to read the
letters to the Australian on the Lehmann affair to note that there is a sturdy strand of
liberal-radical opinion that uses the democratic traditions of Australia to good effect.

Listening to the ABC commentary on the Lehmann
issue during the following match at Adelaide on 17th January, Jim Maxwell, Terry Jenner
and Peter Walsh indulged in all manner of intellectual gymnastics in their attempt to varnish the story.

As a West Indian emailing me from afar perceptively observed, the recent insertion of
one bouncer per over into ODI bowling practice has now restrained Asian batsmen of
the Tendulkar, Jayasuriya, Inzimam type. At the critical level of media presentation, most
TV companies are Western and seem to be staffed by Western-trained personnel. Since
cameramen sometimes act as prosecutors of alleged misdemeanours (e. g. the Tendulkar
incident) and the Technical TV director is in a commanding position of discretion, there
is some scope for manipulation of what the public sees or what is brought to light. From
a response I received to an “open letter” on this subject in July 2002, the ICC does not
seem disposed to impose codes of behaviour on these companies. They would do well
to look at the Australian Broadcasting Authority and the regulations that it polices. One
presumes that there are similar codes in UK. Why then should TV cricket coverage not
be subject to regulations bearing on the balance of TV callers and the fairness of
presentation?

If racial vilification is to be policed, then, technicians and media personnel have to be
“counselled” as much as the players. If they think it okay, the network of support for
such beliefs and the shield of protection will continue.

Top_Cat

It appears that this remark was brought to the notice of the match referee, Clive Lloyd, by
the Sri Lankan management. One would expect all the ICC referees to have addressed
the issue as a serious infringement; but since Lloyd, a West Indian, falls within the
category “black whatever,” the situation was deeply ironic.
So, basically he's asking, "Clive Lloyd is black; why wasn't he just as offended by the comment as anyone else and why wasn't he as harsh on Lehmann as everyone else?". I must admit, this statement is a little ambiguous. Just what is he saying about Clive Lloyd? Is he saying that Clive Lloyd SHOULD have been more offended and SHOULD have acted in a harsher manner? I don't think it's in question that Lloyd knows his responsibilities as match referee VERY well so again, what is he saying? I would have preferred if he'd gone into this in much more detail and expanded upon what he is saying here.

The latter were satisfied with this remorse and did not wish to pursue the
matter further – a case of damage control no doubt.
This is just rubbish? Damage control? HOW?? Sri Lanka would have had nothing to lose and everything to gain (from a PR perspective) from pressuring Lloyd to inflict a heavy penalty for Lehmann. So why didn't THEY press further?

But in line with my previous writings I wish that the ICC would go further and take action against demeaning obscenities and masculinist vocabulary in general. Should our modern gladiators be allowed to freely disparage women by referring to their genitalia and using other words, such as “c… er” that we are not allowed to print? I will leave that issue in the air however and attend to the immediate aftermath of the Lehmann obscenity.
That word "c**t" is generally not considered masculinist terminology anymore as feminists around the world have attempted to reclaim it as a positive word (it's derivations are positive, apparently). So by labelling it as such, he's re-enforcing the original meaning and by banning it, the same would happen. Words are only afforded the meaning we give them and by using the original meaning in interpreting what Lehmann said, Roberts is perpeuating the derogatory meaning of the word and be default, perpetuating the use of the word as a term of derision. Maybe he should keep up with his social sciences if he wants to be taken seriously.........

Speaking as a social scientist, let me emphasise that it is at moments of pressure and
stress that one reveals one's innermost feelings. Hate-speech erupts when someone is
drunk, angry or aroused by an alarming piece of news.
Rubbish. When someone is under pressure or stress, people's DEFENSIVE feelings and thoughts come out, not their deeply-held ones. Drunk, maybe, but being under stress doesn't always do this. He's saying this like it's a fundamental assumption.

Look at his argument logically:

"If I am under stress, then my inner-most and honest feelings will be expressed."

By inference, the statement says that this is always the case, which is patently not the case because a defensive (but honest) reacton could also come out. A subconscious defensive reaction which was generated by one's upbringing could also be the one to come out, particularly if one's upbringing included racist parents. It's certainly possible that Lehmann was influenced by people he saw growing up in such a way that he would just say the first angry thing that came to mind without actually thinking about whether he actually means it, hence the defensive reaction.

The most contentious statement would be what is ultimately inferred:

"If I am under pressure, my most honest feelings will be expressed every time."

This is most certainly not the case as the nature of where those feelings are derived from is ambiguous. In this case, the the antecedent cannot affirm the consequent and in drawing up some truth tables, there will obviously be cases where the premiss will be true but the consequent will certainly be false.

This is where I really take issue with Robert's comment. He can't, with any certainty, say his statement is true in all conditions so I can only surmise that this is a reflection of his own self-righteous beliefs, without actually thinking about how true they may be, probably to sell more papers and make a name for himself rather than anything else.

Take one famous occasion during the finals of the ODI series in Australia in 1996. In the course of a cameo innings Sanath Jayasuriya hit Glenn McGrath for fours in typical, slashing-Sanath style. As he reached the bowling crease after one such stroke, the camera caught McGrath shouldering Sanath and saying something. The camera technicians with audio turned low would have heard his words and any professional lip-reader could have read the expression. The story in Lankan circles is that he called Sanath a “black monkey.” McGrath's actions were not mere aberration. His words expressed gut-feeling.
A perfect example. McGrath may have called Jayasuriya a 'black monkey' but did he actually put thought into this, decided he hated Jayasuriya for looking like a monkey and then decided to call him so? Or was it a defensive reaction in a time of stress with little thought about the racial aspects of it where he just shouted SOMETHING because he was angry? I don't know but I'm damn sure that Robert's doesn't either and in affirming a statement which suggests that he thinks he DOES know, he loses credibility because he can NEVER know what McGrath meant.

Censor the staments and punish those who say them, fine. No issue there. But don't pretend you know exactly what they meant or know exactly WHY someone might have said something, particularly if they were under stress at the time. Again, as someone who has my own black heritage, it's all too easy to think you know exactly what's going on in someone's head purely on the basis of something they said whilst under stress. The thing is, you can never know what type of reaction it was or how they may have been influenced in growing up etc.

Someone like Viv Richards has the most mature attitude of anyone I've ever read on this. Quite a few times in the 1975-76 series against Australia he said he was called black c**t and much, much worse and even though he said with certainty that guys like Jeff Thompson were abusive, he could never bring himself to say they were racists. He, in fact, recognised the complex nature of why someone like Thommo would say something like that in that it was probably purely to gee himself up and get under Viv's nose a bit too, more than outright racial abuse, the objective of which would be to assert racial superiority.

As he said, although you can comment on what someone says, you can never truly know what's in another's heart and deep down even after all that and getting to know Thommo, he said that he probablty wasn't a genuine racist at all.

The ICC has within it's powers a simple remedy that would obviate the need to have disciplinary tribunals: all they have to do is to insert a clause in all contracts with the firms that tender for TV rights stipulating that stump-audio has to be turned full-on. That would constrain the Haydens, Bouchers, Halls and Kallises of today's world of cricket from exercising their foul-mouth
obscenities at the same time as they restrict racial vilification.
Typical. Stop it from happening on the field and therefore you've eradicated the problem, right? If we don't hear it on TV, it doesn't happen..................suuuuuuuuuure. Yet another short-sighted solution which just hides the problem rather than helps to solve it. Good idea...............

A journalist with wide experience and a heart in politics, Ted Corbett insists that cricketis one of the last institutionalised bastions of racism in the world today, albeit a racism that operates in insidious and subterranean ways -- through inbuilt assumptions as much as taken-for-granted practices.
Againm he's making an asinine statement without any proof to back it up. Cricket the last of the institutionlised racisms in the world today??? You MUST be kidding me. All I have to do is point him in the direction of the AFL (Australian Football League) tribunals every year and there's at least ONE player in trouble for racial abuse. How many more don't get reported? I have plenty of cousins that play football almost professionally (a couple professionally) that would show his statement to be palpably false. Too easy to disprove and if Roberts seriously expects a statement like that to help his argument, he's on shaky debating ground.

But I bet if someone were to question him on it, he'd disavow any ownership of it saying "I didn't say that. Ted Corbett did.". The way the paragraph is written he doesn't actually suggest whether he agrees with it at all. He just quotes Corbett and leaves it at that. Very suspicious.

Top_Cat

As a West Indian emailing me from afar perceptively observed, the recent insertion of one bouncer per over into ODI bowling practice has now restrained Asian batsmen of the Tendulkar, Jayasuriya, Inzimam type.
Someone want to tell me where this has any relevence to the article at all? Again, Roberts is evasive in making a point. He just throws in this random comment which suggests that that rule was invoked specifically to target the Asian players, without actually coming out and saying it. If he believes that, he should say so. The West Indian players were very forthcoming with their opinions when the 'one-bouncer-per-over-per-batsman' rule was introduced years ago. They were open and honest about their perceptions of the motivations behind such a rule. Why is Roberts less so? I think it's because he's afraid of anyone who would question his opinion.

At the critical level of media presentation, most
TV companies are Western and seem to be staffed by Western-trained personnel. Since cameramen sometimes act as prosecutors of alleged misdemeanours (e. g. the Tendulkar incident) and the Technical TV director is in a commanding position of discretion, there is some scope for manipulation of what the public sees or what is brought to light. From a response I received to an “open letter” on this subject in July 2002, the ICC does not seem disposed to impose codes of behaviour on these companies. They would do well to look at the Australian broadcasting Authority and the regulations that it polices. One
presumes that there are similar codes in UK. Why then should TV cricket coverage not be subject to regulations bearing on the balance of TV callers and the fairness of presentation?
So now he's accusing Western media companies of hiding racism? Phew, big call! I sure hope he some proof or a statement like this could land him in some hot legal water, especiallyif he names a company. As it stands, he'll probably be okay because ONCE AGAIN, he evades and dodges. Again, he makes snide remarks without proof or specificity to prop his argument up so he has a way out if anyone questions him. Very sneaky.

He's certainly right that there is institutionalised racism in cricket. But it's no different to anywhere else and there are bigger fish to fry than Lehmann or McGrath etc.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
A perfect example. McGrath may have called Jayasuriya a 'black monkey' but did he actually put thought into this, decided he hated Jayasuriya for looking like a monkey and then decided to call him so? Or was it a defensive reaction in a time of stress with little thought about the racial aspects of it where he just shouted SOMETHING because he was angry? I don't know but I'm damn sure that Robert's doesn't either and in affirming a statement which suggests that he thinks he DOES know, he loses credibility because he can NEVER know what McGrath meant.
Who gives a rats whisker as to what McGrath actually meant.... if he uttered such a racial slur, that's enough for him to be punished.No one needs to look at what he meant, 'coz for that there is Websters dictionary that applies to all.

I remember a match in Sharjah in 1987 or so between India and NZ and Mohinder Amarnath was going great guns and Ian Smith was the wicket keeper who said something of racial nature from behind the stumps that so enraged Amarnath(who is a very calm person normally), the two almost came to exchanging blows.

Last edited: