• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest west indian fast bowler of all time?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Marshall just, over Ambrose. I do think though that people tend to overrate Marshall a bit because he was such an unlikely candidate to be a great fast bowler due to his lack of height. He didn't really accomplish anymore as a fast bowler than Ambrose though.

Bouncer

State Regular
Marshall !

what i gathared from reading the Bio's of 70's and 80's cricketers and listening to stories about WI'ian pace battery, one person that stand outs is Andy Roberts, almost everyone who faced him from 76--81 rated him as the most difficult fast bowler they have faced.

It is sad that since he didnt take 300+ wickets he doesnt get recongnition he deservs. But to me the best Best WI'ian fast bowler after Marshall, and Marshall beats him bcoz of his # of wickets.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Not many I would think on this forum. By all accounts he was a great bowler, but Walsh should get kudos for taking 500 plus wickets and actually IMPROVING his average in his later years.

JBMAC

State Captain
How many people here have actually seen Andy Roberts bowl ?
Have had that privilege....Hence my greatest would be as follows

1. Roy Gilchrist
2. Andy Roberts
3. Malcolm Marshall
4. Wes Hall
5. Charlie Griffiths

With Hall being the fastest but lacking consistency

Days of Grace

International Captain
Based on my test ratings:

1. Marshall 905
2. Ambrose 879
3. Garner 777
4. Walsh 773
5. Holding 690
6. Roberts 623
7. Croft 587
8. Bishop 570
9. Hall 564
10. Griffith 437

Based on my observations:

1. Marshall
2. Ambrose
3. Garner
4. Holding
5. Walsh
6. Roberts
7. Hall

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Have had that privilege....Hence my greatest would be as follows

1. Roy Gilchrist
2. Andy Roberts
3. Malcolm Marshall
4. Wes Hall
5. Charlie Griffiths

With Hall being the fastest but lacking consistency
I have seen all of these barring Gilchrist. I am impressed that you rate him that high.

pup11

International Coach
There have been so many great fast bowlers in the history of West Indian cricket but the greatest of them all IMO is Malcom Marshall, he had the ability to make the ball virtually talk, his consistent line and length and pace made him extremely difficult to play.

archie mac

International Coach
Marshall was great, but I would go with Ambrose but only just, and yes I did watch Roberts, and he was scary with a mean streak, ask Botham and Hooksey and a lot of other batsman who he cleaned up!