• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest west indian fast bowler of all time?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd always been under the impression that Adcock wasn't nasty at all - very much the quiet man to Heine's raging storm. Was this not the case?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
As for my greatest Windians...

1. Marshall
2. Ambrose
3. Holding
4. Garner
5. Roberts

Pretty standard really - Garner more consistent statistically than Whispering Death, but to me Holding had slightly more capacity for that breathtaking devastation that one always likes to watch (and never wants to face). Honourable mentions also to Hall, Walsh, Bishop, Griffith, Croft and Martindale.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd always been under the impression that Adcock wasn't nasty at all - very much the quiet man to Heine's raging storm. Was this not the case?
Yeah, same. Adcock was said to be the faster of the two (so we can presume that he appeared to be :ph34r:) but Heine, while not quite Gilchrist-esque, "put the heat into the combination" (Barrington IIRR said that).

archie mac

International Coach
Much like those awful and unsporting men such as Lindwall and Statham. :)
Yes, but I think they had a fast bolwers agreement that they would not bowl bouncers at tailend batsman, although this did not seem to worry Lindwall when he knocked out Tyson:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, but I think they had a fast bolwers agreement that they would not bowl bouncers at tailend batsman, although this did not seem to worry Lindwall when he knocked out Tyson:)
Not as mean, but still bowled bouncers to batsman not wearing helmets:)
Think this is what confused your namesake - certainly confused me. :confused:

Bowling Bouncers at tailenders and bowling them at batsmen is a completely different matter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry, still confused... Adcock did bowl them at tailenders or he didn't? :confused:

I mean, everyone bowled them at batsmen, didn't they?

archie mac

International Coach
Sorry, still confused... Adcock did bowl them at tailenders or he didn't? :confused:

I mean, everyone bowled them at batsmen, didn't they?
No, he did not (as far as I know). After Bodyline it was considered strickly 'bad form' to bowl bouncers and there were none bowled in the 1938 Test series:)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
No, he did not (as far as I know). After Bodyline it was considered strickly 'bad form' to bowl bouncers and there were none bowled in the 1938 Test series:)
I remember reading a quote from Davo from when he was a young quick trying to make his mark, after he bowled a bouncer to a tailender and copped an absolute bollocking from Lindwall: "You've just disgraced fast bowlers everywhere. You've admitted a no.10 can bat better than you can bowl!"

I don't think Davo ever bowled a bouncer to a tailender again. Mind you, he became good enough that he probably never needed to. :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I remember reading a quote from Davo from when he was a young quick trying to make his mark, after he bowled a bouncer to a tailender and copped an absolute bollocking from Lindwall: "You've just disgraced fast bowlers everywhere. You've admitted a no.10 can bat better than you can bowl!"

I don't think Davo ever bowled a bouncer to a tailender again. Mind you, he became good enough that he probably never needed to. :)
I remember reading that too. IIRC it was actually a number 8 batsman. I'm not trying to nitpick - it just highlights how different attitudes were back then.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't have the quote in front of me so you could well be right. :)

But yep, attitudes certainly have changed.

funnygirl

State Regular
Andy Roberts ,that variety and deceptive bouncer ,most gifted but underachieved.

Michael Holding , what a sight !!