• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India ODI Team 1998 vs India ODI Team 2002

masterblaster

International Captain
Which one was better? India were ranked 3rd in ODI and Test Cricket in 1998, which has been one of their most successful years. But 2002 has been the most successful (barring India's tour to New Zealand), which side was better in quality and depth?

India 1998
---------------

Ganguly
Tendulkar
Sidhu
Dravid
Jadeja
Azharuddin
Kambli
Kanitkar
Robin Singh
Nayan Mongia
Ajit Agarkar
Sunil Joshi
Anil Kumble
Javagal Srinath
Venkatesh Prasad
Debashish Mohanty
Rahul Sanghvi

OR

India 2002
---------------

Sehwag
Ganguly
Dravid
Laxman
Dinesh Mongia
Tendulkar
Yuvraj
Kaif
Bangar
Patel
Agarkar
Kumble
Harbhajan
Srinath
Zaheer
Nehra
Yohannan
Kartik

Andre

International Regular
The 1998 team is definetly more balanced, but personally I prefer the current side.

The current side has many more gifted players than the other side, despite the fact that they only really have Bangar in the all-rounder status.

I'd much prefer Harbhajan to Sanghvi, Kaif to Jadeja, Sehwag to Sidhu etc. Sure it would be nice to have some of those older guys doing well, and the balance of a bowling all-rounder such as Joshi, but man for man the current squad is stronger.

Also, the pace battery of the 2002 side is much stronger than that of 1998.

Hence, my reasoning for choosing the 2002 side as the stronger one :).

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
That 1998 team looks far more solid in the middle order. Not sure about the bowling department. Prasad wouldn't make a big impression

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Gotchya said:
That 1998 team looks far more solid in the middle order. Not sure about the bowling department. Prasad wouldn't make a big impression
Prasad was pretty good around 1997-98 in ODIs.He was averaging around 26 with the ball with a strike rate of around 36.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I was equating Prasad's overall value to that of Zaheer Khan. How about a rearing Zaheer versus Prasad

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Gotchya said:
I was equating Prasad's overall value to that of Zaheer Khan. How about a rearing Zaheer versus Prasad
I would pick Zaheer. I was just stating Prasad's value around 1998 and not in comparative terms.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
1998 vs 2002:

Ganguly('98) > Ganguly('02)
Tendulkar('98) > Tendulkar('02)
Kumble('98) > Kumble('02)
Azhar > Laxman/Mongia
N. Mongia > P. Patel
Jadeja > Kaif
R. Singh > Bangar
Agarkar('98) > Agarkar('02)

Dravid('98) < Dravid('02)
Sidhu < Sehwag
Kambli < Yuvraj
Prasad < Zaheer
Sanghvi << Harb
Joshi < Karthik

Srinath = Srinath
Mohanty = Nehra

Yohannan & Kanitkar didn't make much of an impact. Overall, the '98 team looks better IMO.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
What about the overall flare of the team ? has that increased or not ? fielding ? on these counts I think the 2002 team edges in front, but the 98 team was producing results more then the present ones.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Don't count this team out. It had only one bad series in NZ. Also how many series did the 98 team win outside India. This team won in WI 2-1 and in ENG and in SRL. Did the 98 team win any series outside India?