• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst dropped catch in the history of the game

Days of Grace

International Captain
or ones that you have seen.

I'm talking about either:

1. the easiest dropped catch you've ever seen (Bond's yesterday off Jayasuriya inspired this article).

2. the catch that cost the most number of runs (e.g. dropping a batsman on 0, and he goes on to make 200).

My answers:

1. Bond yesterday. Dire stuff :laugh: And Pietersen the day before that :laugh: Me mum could have caught that after having 10 sherries FFS!!

2. Astle in the slips off Thorpe, Christchurch 2002. Thorpe went on to make 200+ and whilst Astle played the innings of his life, his drop off Thorpe when Thorpe was in single figures perhaps had a biggest influence on the result.

stumpski

International Captain
Didn't the Durham keeper drop Lara on 29 or something, on his way to 501? Must be the most expensive miss ever.

Reputedly he said "I bet he ges on to get a hundred now."

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't the Durham keeper drop Lara on 29 or something, on his way to 501? Must be the most expensive miss ever.

Reputedly he said "I bet he ges on to get a hundred now."
He was on debut for Durham as well IIRC

jammay123

State 12th Man
didnt hussain drop smith on nought after forgeting his name and then smith went on to make a double hundred

Bouncer

State Regular
Saeed anwar was dropped in Calcutta (shoaib akhter v Sachin game) in the final minutes of 2nd day.....a reulation slip catch dropped by Azhar.he went on to score 188*, carried his bat and when he was talking to media after the game he said, " when someone like(as good as) Azhar drops u , then it has to be ur day and u have to make it count"

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
All those poor suckers who dropped Yousuf last year. Most notably Flintoff dropped Yousuf when he was at 12* and went on to make 223.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Courtney Browne dropped a couple costly cathces. Can't remember details but I think the second one was on Australia's last tour of WI and he dropped Waugh IIRC.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Courtney Browne dropped Steve Waugh at an incredibly crucial moment. Many folks in the Caribbean think that he basically dropped the Frank Worrell Trophy.

More recently he dropped Inzi 1st ball against Pakistan. Inzi made a hundred and Pakistan won a tight victory to tie the series 1-1. That was the epitome of dropping a series win and it was the last test he ever played.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Days of Grace said:
1. the easiest dropped catch you've ever seen (Bond's yesterday off Jayasuriya inspired this article).
Ricky Hill last season in my local D Grade comp. It was a real stinker.