• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst dropped catch in the history of the game

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
... not easy or simple, but catchable beyond doubt.

I have little doubt, TBH, that had that catch been taken those who claim Lara > Tendulkar would have no leg to stand on.
being overly simplistic there, Richard.... I always felt that Lara was a slightly better test batsman than Sachin even before that test. It was a just a matter of when Lara would come back to his best again....

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
being overly simplistic there, Richard.... I always felt that Lara was a slightly better test batsman than Sachin even before that test. It was a just a matter of when Lara would come back to his best again....
I think what Richard was getting at was that Lara's 153* is used a quite often to prove that Lara>Tendulkar, as Lara plays more match-winning innings than Tendulkar.

BTW, that is not my opinion, but that point is brought up on a regular basis in the Lara-Tendulkar arguments.

bond21

Banned
how would everyone like to know about a dropped catch that basically affected every single international team in the world? Possible? Sure is.

ODI in Australia. Aus vs NZ.

Hayden is on 0, is about to be dropped from the team for being out of form.

Vettori drops Hayden on 0 - Hayden goes on to make 100.

since then Hayden has basically been dominating every single bowling attack in international cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think what Richard was getting at was that Lara's 153* is used a quite often to prove that Lara>Tendulkar, as Lara plays more match-winning innings than Tendulkar.

BTW, that is not my opinion, but that point is brought up on a regular basis in the Lara-Tendulkar arguments.
I don't think one innings is ever gonna be enough to state why one player is better than the other.

And even if it was in a losing cause, it would still have been better than Sachin's effort at Chennai anyway. As one who saw both fully, I can say that with every confidence.

Perm

I don't think one innings is ever gonna be enough to state why one player is better than the other.

And even if it was in a losing cause, it would still have been better than Sachin's effort at Chennai anyway. As one who saw both fully, I can say that with every confidence.
I'm not of that opinion, but I've seen people use that argument plenty of times, that pretty much say Lara's 153* trumps every Sachin innings.

Perm

how would everyone like to know about a dropped catch that basically affected every single international team in the world? Possible? Sure is.

ODI in Australia. Aus vs NZ.

Hayden is on 0, is about to be dropped from the team for being out of form.

Vettori drops Hayden on 0 - Hayden goes on to make 100.

since then Hayden has basically been dominating every single bowling attack in international cricket.
I think I remember that one, was it a forward diving effort at mid-off? He really should have taken it, wasn't that difficult.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seeing what's happened since that catch annoys me more than it even did at the time. I remember it only too well.

I can only hope that with all the withdrawls in New Zealand, Hayden might have been gifted one final chance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Maybe.

In any case, I'm not saying you rate said batsmen purely on those 2 innings. But lots of people do, and not because Lara's was better, simply because it ended in victory, and I honestly do believe that had Healy taken that catch then no-one would have the grounds to argue the nonsense "Lara is a matchwinner, Tendulkar isn't" thing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Maybe.

In any case, I'm not saying you rate said batsmen purely on those 2 innings. But lots of people do, and not because Lara's was better, simply because it ended in victory, and I honestly do believe that had Healy taken that catch then no-one would have the grounds to argue the nonsense "Lara is a matchwinner, Tendulkar isn't" thing.
yeah, but a lot of guys who think that a) Lara is much better than Sachin or b) Sachin is much better than Lara are idiots anyways. ;)

And to Perm, I do think Lara's 153* was a better knock than any that Sachin played and it is NOT because Windies won that match... I just think it was the best innings I have seen against a very difficult bowling attack under difficult conditions and immense pressure. Laxman's knock comes very very close but....

Perm

And to Perm, I do think Lara's 153* was a better knock than any that Sachin played and it is NOT because Windies won that match... I just think it was the best innings I have seen against a very difficult bowling attack under difficult conditions and immense pressure. Laxman's knock comes very very close but....
I'm saying that a lot of people, obviously not yourself, rate Lara's 153* as better than anything Sachin has ever produced.