• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Donna Symmonds

iamdavid

International Debutant
Must admit she's the first television commentator I've actually found irritating.
She just seems very jumpy and overly keen to make an impression, often commenting and questioning things when it really isnt neccesary.
And as has already been said she calls it like radio, eg. Prior going for the big shot and not getting onto it there ball lands backward of point and they run two...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Agreed.

I think we may be guilty of raising the bar of tolerance a bit when someone not fitting our stereotypical image makes a breakthrough.
I don't.. I think shes genuinely diabolical now, and it reeks of tokenism.. Which is a shame, because I bet there are hundreds of women cricketers and pundits who could do a better job

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I don't.. I think shes genuinely diabolical now, and it reeks of tokenism.. Which is a shame, because I bet there are hundreds of women cricketers and pundits who could do a better job
Oh yes. It would be a surprise if there weren't. What I meant was that their are male commentators also who are very bad and maybe, just maybe :), we are a bit more tolerant of them.

By the way, I ,may be wrong but I havent seen a thread here for Siddhu and Bhogle two of the most obnoxious characters to enter a commentators box. We suffered Siddhu for so long and Bhogle has acquired legendary status :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh yes. It would be a surprise if there weren't. What I meant was that their are male commentators also who are very bad and maybe, just maybe :), we are a bit more tolerant of them.

By the way, I ,may be wrong but I havent seen a thread here for Siddhu and Bhogle two of the most obnoxious characters to enter a commentators box. We suffered Siddhu for so long and Bhogle has acquired legendary status :)
They may be obnoxious, but from a playing perspective, you can tell they've got a modicum of knowledge gained from their experiences.. I can't find that with Symonds.. It's like someone has stuck her in front of a My First Cricket Set for a few hours and then told her to get on with it.. Maybe shes been told to dumb down for the target audience?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
They may be obnoxious, but from a playing perspective, you can tell they've got a modicum of knowledge gained from their experiences.. I can't find that with Symonds.. It's like someone has stuck her in front of a My First Cricket Set for a few hours and then told her to get on with it.. Maybe shes been told to dumb down for the target audience?
:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Like Harsha TBH. Admittedly I've not heard excessive amounts of him so haven't come accross any obnoxiousness. Sidhu is do-without-able though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Like Harsha TBH. Admittedly I've not heard excessive amounts of him so haven't come accross any obnoxiousness. Sidhu is do-without-able though.
Harsha is getting worse with every passing day. You must listen to him one of these days. :)

neville cardus

International Debutant
The worst foremost female commentator has been getting a lot of publicity this week, since the twenty20 started

Saw this scathing article yesterday, which promoted me to think: should she be in the commentary box?
She did a reasonable job as a radio broadcaster in the Caribbean -- or so I was told when I posted the following about her on another forum, in a thread devoted to Kass Naidoo's mediocrity:

"Naidoo ain't half bad when compared to the implausibly irritating and excitable Caribbean lady to whom we hapless SuperSport viewers are being subjected. Her shrill yelp, partial cricketing acumen, generally incoherent babbling and observation of nowt but the most bleedingly obvious all add up to make Naidoo a relative Blowers. I'd almost be tempted to undergo the joys of Peter and Zolani on Radio 2000, but, alas, it looks as if only South Africa's games are being covered there."

FBU

International Debutant
Her voice is so irritating and what she has to say even worse.

Another irritant is Bogle. Some voices make you want to kill. Langer with his nasal whine, Giles with his drone. Willis who only knows how to bring excitement to a game by shouting. Mark 'oh hellooo' Nicholas. :@

Commentators like Healy and Holding that actually know what a batsman or bowler are trying to do and why are far more interesting to listen to.

Nothing wrong with her! She adds a different perspective to the commentary. I'd be happy to hear her more often! Seems to me like some of you are just looking for ways to denigrate her!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing wrong with her! She adds a different perspective to the commentary. I'd be happy to hear her more often! Seems to me like some of you are just looking for ways to denigrate her!
Agreed. There's nothing wrong with her at all.

Its just her commentary......