• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid resigns as India captain

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow, really didn't see this coming at all. Huge news. I never rated him as a tactician but yes, the criticism was at times harsh, and the way he dealt with the players, the media etc made him a good candidate for the job.

I don't really have much of an idea as to who would take over. Dhoni is young, a seemingly permanent member in the test and sides, has a bit of experience at international level now and is currently leading the Twenty20 team, so he'd have to be favourite, but I don't know how good an idea that is, really. Yuvraj springs to mind as well, although he can't make the test team at the moment which rules him out.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
they may go for 2 captains, but how about care taker Ganguly :) maybe he can captain the side in australia where a young captain may be exposed.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't say I expected it, I'm really shocked. I thought he did a damn fine job as skipper, Test series victory in England, Sri Lanka and the West Indies, aswell as winning a Test in South Africa. Obviously a disappointing result in the Champions Trophy and World Cup, and he hasn't been as productive with the bat as usual while in the captaincy role, averaging just 44.51. I thought he handled the captaincy quite well, did a good enough job on the field and performed excellently with the media and in relation to players. India will miss him as a leader, that's for sure.

Who should be his replacement? Yuvraj in ODI cricket with Dhoni as vice-captain I reckon, not sure whether Dhoni will be able to handle wicket-keeping for 50 overs and captaining the side aswell. In Test cricket I'm not so sure, Ganguly or Tendulkar could take up the position in a temporary role. Let's hope we don't see the return of Virender Sehwag because of his captaincy ability.

pup11

International Coach
This really came from nowhere, i think Dravid knew the next few months were really gonna be tough with series against Australia and Pakistan, so probably he didn't wanted to take too much and he also said that captaincy was putting pressure on his batting so that could be the on of the many reasons i guess.
I never rated him too highly as a captain but he wasn't too bad either, but now the big question is who would be the next captain Dhoni, Ganguly or Tendulkar??

This really came from nowhere, i think Dravid knew the next few months were really gonna be tough with series against Australia and Pakistan, so probably he didn't wanted to take too much and he also said that captaincy was putting pressure on his batting so that could be the on of the many reasons i guess.
I never rated him too highly as a captain but he wasn't too bad either, but now the big question is who would be the next captain Dhoni, Ganguly or Tendulkar??
Ganguly seems to be the best option right now as Tendulkar also doesn't like to captain the side & Dhoni is still inexperienced & nothing more than an ordinary WK-batsman in tests.Dhoni should be the captain in ODIs though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Never rated much of him as a tactician really. Seemed to take the left field decisions when they weren't really called for and didn't seem to take them when one felt the situation called for some out of the box stuff.

But as has been mentioned in this thread, he has conducted himself excellently as captain. The controversies, by and large, have remained indoors, apart from the spells when Chappell played it in the media and the way he handled players was quite good. I thought his media management skills were quite excellent too. I felt after the period of Sourav, we needed a calmer head of the side and that is what he was, even though it did get spoilt a little bit because of the Chappell and the way the seniors reacted to him.

Always a great team man and I think he himself must have felt that India needed him more as a batsman than as a captain in these coming series... Just get a bad feeling about the side now being clogged up with ex-captains and super-seniors. Will the new captain ever get the guts to tell them that they performed badly? Will he ever be able to drop him? Such things are treated with way too much emotion and jingoism in India...

Will be interesting to see who is the new captain... I don't think going back to Sachin or Sourav would be a great idea and almost no other batsman seems to have a permanent place in the side.... Interesting times...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll echo the "didn't see this coming" sentiment expressed by near enough everyone so far in this thread.

Agree with hbh about Dravid being a good captain for his time - almost an Indian version of Inzamam in being nothing remotely remarkable as a tactician but a great calm hand on the tiller.

I seriously, seriously hope Dhoni doesn't get the ODI or, God forbid, the Test captaincy. Still not totally sure about him as a Test batsman and as Perm said, captaining and keeping wicket for 50 overs then having to bat is very far from ideal.

Not sure about Yuvraj's captaincy credentials at all. Tendulkar FTW I suppose - if Lara can become a decent captain at the third attempt in his twilight years, no reason Tendulkar shouldn't do the same (though I think he's only had 1 previous stint?).

Ganguly as captain again would certainly be ITSTL.