• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan to open

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Duncan Fletcher has just said in an interview that he might try an opening partnership of Trescothick and Vaughan with Knight dropping to 3. This is an interisting idea although I don't think this is the time to try it as Knight and Trescothick are in superb form and just took 119 off the Sri Lankan attack. Why break a partnership that works? Also both openers make good use of the 1st 15 over field restrictions, whilst Vaughan has rarely even opened for Yorkshire in Domestic OD Cricket. Therefore I've never seen Vaughan try clearing the infield like he will have to. Personally I would bat him at 3 as Nasser is not a natural number 3 in ODIs (or a natural batsman in ODIs for that matter), and also I wouldn't want to break a partnership which has worked, and worked well, for the last year.

What do you think?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
I think that's the most sense that you've ever posted, Rik :)
Considering quite a few people have said that about quite a few of my posts recently I must be doing something right :rolleyes:

Wazztodd

Cricket Spectator
I like the idea of Vaughan at 3. I'm sure Englishmen would know better than I why he's not considered an OD player, but the rare form the guy is showing and his range of shots make me believe he can succeed in this form of the game also. Geoff Marsh was always considered too "slow" for ODI's, yet when in form, he won us many games, playing "normal" cricket shots, picking up 1's and 2's. Vaughan would be one of the first guys picked in my world side at the moment, let alone the English one.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think England should be messing around with Owais Shah now that Vaughan can play & I also realised why they continue to play Irani despite his dreadful form, its because Hollioake hasn't been picked in the World Cup squad but I guess now that Flintoff has returned, Irani might miss out if England progress to the finals of the VB Series.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Y would u want to break such a good opening partnership. Many countries are stuggling with there opening combination but England seem to have 2 great batters both in good form. Vaughen sould come in at 3 or 4. An openers job is quite sepecalist and if he hasn't proved it at County level then he shouldn't be doing it for his country.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wazztodd said:
I like the idea of Vaughan at 3. I'm sure Englishmen would know better than I why he's not considered an OD player
He is.. he's just got a dicky knee at the minute and we don't want to risk something long term happening for the sake of a Tri-Series.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
He is.. he's just got a dicky knee at the minute and we don't want to risk something long term happening for the sake of a Tri-Series.
Well to be fair he isn't a OD player, there is no proof that he will be a world class ODI batsman, his Domestic OD record is poor. But he has been a lot more attacking in Test Cricket lately and he might have turned himself into a OD player. Let's see.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Vaughan's 50 against NZ at Eden Park during the 4th ODI I think it was, was one of the finest innings of strokeplay I have seen in a long time.

I have no doubts that Vaughan could be a very good #4.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim said:
Vaughan's 50 against NZ at Eden Park during the 4th ODI I think it was, was one of the finest innings of strokeplay I have seen in a long time.

I have no doubts that Vaughan could be a very good #4.
He's played a few good innings yes, but he's not scored consistantly and that is why his average is only 19.66

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
He's played a few good innings yes, but he's not scored consistantly and that is why his average is only 19.66
That was long before he emerged as the player he is at present, before his incredible run.

I reckon that that 19.66 average can be totally ignored :D

I'd like to see Vaughan at 3 in the ODI side with Hussain at 5/6 to inject experience into the middle order.

Wazztodd

Cricket Spectator
I reckon that that 19.66 average can be totally ignored
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I'd heard he could play a bit, but I'd not seen him until this ashes series, and he's got to be one of the first guys picked. (If fit of course NP :) )

To me, a good player will succeed in either form of the game. Hitting them as well as Vaughan has been, he'll score runs, plenty of them, and at a decent rate. Might have to hide him in the field, somewhere near Harmison perhaps?
But that's a secondary consideration IMO. Larry Gomes couldn't field either, and wasn't considered a "power" batsman, but was a terrific ODI player.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
That was long before he emerged as the player he is at present, before his incredible run.

I reckon that that 19.66 average can be totally ignored :D

I'd like to see Vaughan at 3 in the ODI side with Hussain at 5/6 to inject experience into the middle order.
I can't really ignore it though. He's doing great in Tests but he's still proven nothing in OD Cricket. Sometimes people can flatter to decieve.

Bazza

International 12th Man
What is wrong with:

Vaughan
Hussain
Collingwood
Stewart
Flintoff
Blackwell
White

?

That is a mixture of youth and experience, and a mixture of nurdlers, stroke players and out-and-out hitters. That is a strong lineup to me, and also very flexible (eg Flintoff/Blackwell can be promoted if we keep wickets intact). I am crying out for this to happen, but instead we get:

Irani
Hussain
Shah
Collingwood
Blackwell
Stewart

What is that about??? *shakes head in despair*

Wazztodd

Cricket Spectator
What is wrong with:
Vaughan
Hussain
Collingwood
Stewart
Flintoff
Blackwell
White
Looks reasonabe to me. Hopefully (As a non-Englishperson) the selectors take no notice and continue to pick the current lineup!
I like Stewart further up the order particularly. It's rediculous to see a player like him come out with two overs to play, expected to smack 10 runs of 4 balls. Though he is capable of this, he'd be much better used in a strokeplayer's role, able to nudge the singles through the middle overs, and build a substantial innings.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Vaughan
Stewart
Flintoff
White

have all had injury doubts around them over the new year, that might be why the squad isnt settled.

I cant believe that the best One day opening partnership England have had is just going to waste. Vaughan in the middle order I think!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Wazztodd Might have to hide him in the field, somewhere near Harmison perhaps?
But that's a secondary consideration IMO. Larry Gomes couldn't field either, and wasn't considered a "power" batsman, but was a terrific ODI player. [/B]
Vaughan's rated a superb fielder by Fletcher. The problem is although he can take superb catches he can drop easy ones and misfield simple stops, which is down to concentration. He concentrates well enough whilst batting so I don't know why he doesn't in the field.

Wazztodd

Cricket Spectator
although he can take superb catches he can drop easy ones and misfield simple stops
I guess these are the things that have stuck in my mind. Fielding issues can always be addressed, you've gotta have that guy batting for you though. Tremendous player.