• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marcus Trescothick took a hat tick

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marcus Trescothick took a hat trick

I was reading a cricket book last night and came across this story about Trescothick taking a hat-trick. was it a genuine fluke or what? Also if he can bowl why doesnt ever bowl for England at all.
Well heres the story anyway

Marcus Trescothick, a batsman, surprised all when he grabbed a hat-trick for Somerset against the Young Australians at Taunton in 1995. The occasional medium pacer, who, prior to this match, had never taken a wicket in his first class career, disposed of Adam Gilchirst, Jo Angel and Peter McIntyre in successive balls to finish the innings as the leading bowler with figures of 4/36.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a joke mate. He's a useful bowler, I don't know why he doesn't bowl any more, maybe to stop him injuring himself or sommit?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but McGrath made a 50 as well ;)

well looking at those wickets Gilly is the only one who can bat at all

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its a lot harder to get a hat trick than it is to score a 50. most bowlers got entire careers without getting a hat trick while most bowlers do get half centuries.
Jo Angel did bat at number 3 in a test for Australia once. Admittedly it was as a night watch man and he did get a duck.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
broncoman said:
its a lot harder to get a hat trick than it is to score a 50. most bowlers got entire careers without getting a hat trick while most bowlers do get half centuries.
Jo Angel did bat at number 3 in a test for Australia once. Admittedly it was as a night watch man and he did get a duck.
Yeah, Tresco is just a natural games player really, and I think he should bowl instead of Butcher in Tests really. He swings it and he's pretty accurate. Just a little slow, but then so is Butcher...

Rich2001

International Captain
Doesn't take long to get to 50 if your slogging at every ball... 10 4's and your nearly there.....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
Doesn't take long to get to 50 if your slogging at every ball... 10 4's and your nearly there.....
Rich your taking the gloss off my 2 unbeaten 40 odds this season...grrrr....:!(

Rich2001

International Captain
age_master said:
lol, McGrath Slog??

anyway yeah Tresco bowls quite well - much better than butcher
I didn't mention McGrath's name, Iam just saying you will more than likly see a number 11 come out and hit the ball as hard and as far as possible, rather than play textbook shots.

As for McGrath he isn't as bad batsman as you think in England in 2001 he supported Gilly for an unbeaten 34 odd while Gilly pummeled the bolwers to all parts.

And he has always said he wants an international 50... with Bangladesh coming up who knows :lol: :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
I didn't mention McGrath's name, Iam just saying you will more than likly see a number 11 come out and hit the ball as hard and as far as possible, rather than play textbook shots.

As for McGrath he isn't as bad batsman as you think in England in 2001 he supported Gilly for an unbeaten 34 odd while Gilly pummeled the bolwers to all parts.

And he has always said he wants an international 50... with Bangladesh coming up who knows :lol: :lol:
Nah Rich, McGrath can defend but has a problem with attacking shots. And in 2001 he only scored 1 when he was batting with Gilly. I know...I was there :D

Rich2001

International Captain
age_master said:
lol, McGrath Slog??

anyway yeah Tresco bowls quite well - much better than butcher
I agree, Tresco is a handy bowler and has taken key wickets, I always said him and Vaughan were under used, well I got my wish with Vaughan :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
I agree, Tresco is a handy bowler and has taken key wickets, I always said him and Vaughan were under used, well I got my wish with Vaughan :)
Well all I can remember was he got swept around in Pakistan and then never bowled again...shall we write to the ECB? :lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
Well all I can remember was he got swept around in Pakistan and then never bowled again...shall we write to the ECB? :lol:
That was after he opened the bowling after lunch. :P

His ODI bowling is 2 wickets @ 22.50 and not too expensively either. I really don't know why he doesn't get bowled much.:alien8:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
That was after he opened the bowling after lunch. :P

His ODI bowling is 2 wickets @ 22.50 and not too expensively either. I really don't know why he doesn't get bowled much.:alien8:
No he got swept in Pakistan in a ODI, never bowled in ODIs again although he took a wicke in a Test (was it in Sri Lanka?) then they totally forgot.