• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Coach for Kenya

Who would be the Ideal person to take Kenyan cricket forward after Roger Harper?

• Dav Whatmore

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Duncan Fletcher

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Adrian Birrel

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Sandip Patel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And it's the same bloody example everyone always picks-out, and it's not IMO even the most notable part of Duncan Fletcher's career.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Hahahahahaha. Winning the Ashes ISN'T the biggest part of Duncan Fletcher's coaching career? That's utterly ridiculous!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's the most pleasurable part, yes, but it's not his most notable achievement. The 4 consecutive series victories in 2000 and 2000\01 were those.

I'd not imagine at 7 years old you would fully have appreciated them, but I may be wrong.

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's the most pleasurable part, yes, but it's not his most notable achievement. The 4 consecutive series victories in 2000 and 2000\01 were those.

I'd not imagine at 7 years old you would fully have appreciated them, but I may be wrong.

Take that back Richard 8-)

Surely some people may see the most pleasurable part, as his most notable achievment?

Anyway on topic, I'm not sure on who will take over the Kenya job really. Whoever does it's going to take alot of work. it would be great to see another team progress in the ODI / 20twenty format like we have seen with Bangladesh, who have come on leaps and bounds.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Take that back Richard 8-)

Surely some people may see the most pleasurable part, as his most notable achievment?
The way to measure a coach is not purely by, as Gideon Haigh once said, "the banal ledger of wins and losses". It's about what he brings to the team. Now, for me, the 2005 Ashes victory could and very possibly would have been achieved had Duncan Fletcher been taken ill in April and been unable to be involved at any point in the summer. However, I don't believe the same is true of the multiple achievements of 2000 and 2000\01. Most of the high-calibre players (Atherton, Hussain, Stewart, Thorpe, Cork, Caddick, Gough - to an extent even White) had been around for years - it's just that, for any massive multitude of reasons, they'd produced the goods often enough or at the same time for the team to get the results. Most of the newer players (Vaughan, Giles, to an extent White in that he'd had a very long absence) were people Duncan Fletcher had both spotted the ability in and helped to maximise it where previously it had not been.

The Ashes 2005 victory had to do with an impossibly large number of things - no list could ever come close to being exhaustive - but Duncan Fletcher's influence would not be that high on one of mine. That's not to say I wish someone else had been in charge - even now, I still think we'd probably be better-off with him at the helm.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I would guess that Whatmore has applied for the Windies job. The WICB are drawing up a list of applicants now. I really hope he has anyway.

Btw, Roger Harper has left Kenya to coach St Lucia's professional 20-20 team for the next few years.,