• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where Should Sachin Tendulkar Bat In ODI's?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie_beater said:
No it doesn't.....that's just 6 matches that he played as number 3, out of a total of 254 in his whole career.It doesn't prove anything.
But when he opens in ODIs his average is 48...take away the 6 matches he played at 3 and 50 odd he played at 4 and you have the 2nd best average of anyone who has played more than 100 ODIs. Also that average of 48 is from 195 or so games, you can't argue with that.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
However much we discuss it, I think the Indian think tank will have Ganguly opening with Sehwag and Sachin coming in at 4 to start with and maybe to 3 if Mongia or whoever fails in that position(which looks very likely). Unless Ganguly or Sehwag fails miserably, I don't see them letting him open.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
But when he opens in ODIs his average is 48...take away the 6 matches he played at 3 and 50 odd he played at 4 and you have the 2nd best average of anyone who has played more than 100 ODIs. Also that average of 48 is from 195 or so games, you can't argue with that.
Ofcourse he is at his imperious best when he opens...no questions about that.But the Indian team's logic of saving him for later has paid some dividends lately and that cannot be ignored.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
However much we discuss it, I think the Indian think tank will have Ganguly opening with Sehwag and Sachin coming in at 4 to start with and maybe to 3 if Mongia or whoever fails in that position(which looks very likely). Unless Ganguly or Sehwag fails miserably, I don't see them letting him open.
Ganguly has failed quite miserably lately. But your right, they won't move as Ganguly is the Captain and is as subborn about opening as Nasser is about batting at 3 or 4. Anyone who bats above someone who's in much better form in the Test Side when you can't score a run, wouldn't even think twice about demanding to open.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Ganguly has failed quite miserably lately. But your right, they won't move as Ganguly is the Captain and is as subborn about opening as Nasser is about batting at 3 or 4. Anyone who bats above someone who's in much better form in the Test Side when you can't score a run, wouldn't even think twice about demanding to open.
By failing miserably, I meant failing miserably in the WC which is yet to take place.

masterblaster

International Captain
Let the great man bat where he wants to bat, clearly at 4 he wasnt enjoying his game. He is naturally aggressive and dominating and he isnt like a Michael Bevan type cricketer, where Rahul Dravid is, or can be.

Let Sachin Open!

Ganguly, Wright, If you Read Cricketweb!
Let Sachin Open!!!!!

:!( :P :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I made the exact same point earlie. Sachin is a legend and has reached a peak of greatness whereby he must be allowed to choose where he wants to bat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie_beater said:
No it doesn't.....that's just 6 matches that he played as number 3, out of a total of 254 in his whole career.It doesn't prove anything.
The fact he's only batted at 3 6 times in 254 games speaks volumes to me.

Andre

International Regular
I agree and say he should open. More importantly, he should do what he wants. I'd have Ganguly at 3 or 6 for mine, with Sehwag opening.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
The fact he's only batted at 3 6 times in 254 games speaks volumes to me.
My point is that he can be tried at number three again as nothing of his past record suggests clearly that he will fail there.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I made the exact same point earlie. Sachin is a legend and has reached a peak of greatness whereby he must be allowed to choose where he wants to bat.
Hang on here...isn't there the saying that a player is never bigger than the team he is in? He should bat where he is told, although why they bother with Mongia and Laxman at 3 is beyond me! Let Sachin open or bat at 3. You put your best player at 3, not some mediocre batsman.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
Hang on here...isn't there the saying that a player is never bigger than the team he is in?
I didn't say he is greater than the team he is in. I'm just saying that the least India could do to reward Sachin for a fine career is let him bat where he feels most comfortable.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I didn't say he is greater than the team he is in. I'm just saying that the least India could do to reward Sachin for a fine career is let him bat where he feels most comfortable.
Well, that still seems a bit "player bigger than team" to me. It was the discovery of Sehwag as an opener and the need for a quality player in the middle order that prompted India to move Sachin down the order. But considering that Sachin and Ganguly have allways scored well whilst opening and Sehwag is happier opening...India have a dilemma.

Mr Mxyzptlk

But Sehwag publicly stated a few months ago that he would be willing to move down the order if it will help India.

IMO, Ganguly/Tendulkar is one of the best opening partnerships in the history of ODI cricket.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But Sehwag publicly stated a few months ago that he would be willing to move down the order if it will help India.

IMO, Ganguly/Tendulkar is one of the best opening partnerships in the history of ODI cricket.
I ment happier as in the way his scores have picked up ever since he started opening...rather than a personal preference.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Well, we know they don't since AA is still around the squad!
That's completely your fault!! If you and Neil hadn't formed the AA appreciation society....:lol: :lol: :lol: