• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Management to File Complaint Against Aleem Dar

viktor

State Vice-Captain
That should not be a reason to make ridiculous statements. Dravid clearly implied the importance of that decision and that is as candid as one can be over a particuolar dismissal.
Reporter: Are you going to do anything about the umpiring in the 7th odi?
Dravid: Well, the captain's report will contain my observations about that aspect.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Reporter: Are you going to do anything about the umpiring in the 7th odi?
Dravid: Well, the captain's report will contain my observations about that aspect.
And that is different from what was said there.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
“It obviously was a huge decision. He is an in-form batsman and one good partnership would have taken us to 250.”

Clearly an assumption that if not for that dismissal India would have made 250.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So they are complaining bcuz it was their star batsman playing in prob his last Int in Eng in a deciding match of the series. IOW, how dare you give him out ?

Had it been a number 11 batsman with many years ahead of him and not in a decider, nobody would've heard a peep from them.

Umpiring should remain the same; regardless of the batsman, his legacy or the state of the match.
oh, come off it. Every team in the world will always only talk about the decisions based on the impact it has had on the game. A bad decision given to McGrath will not affect Ponting as much as a bad decision given against Hayden. That is how it works and that is how it will work.

And yes, umpires do tend to react differently when it is a big player at the crease. It is a fact, you cannot live in denial. The pressure is immense, from the crowd and even from the players when it is an appeal against Tendulkar, and it is not the same if it is against Sreesanth. If the test series went differently, Vaughan would have been asked (and would have replied to) questions about the Sreesanth LBW decision. Wrong decisions get noticed but only the wrong decisions which have the bigger impact get talked about so much. That is how it goes in any sport and in fact, in any walk of life....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
“It obviously was a huge decision. He is an in-form batsman and one good partnership would have taken us to 250.”

u want to disagree with what point there? That it was a huge decision or that one good partnership could have helped India reach 250?

tbh, I do think that it was an unnecessary statement there from Dravid and perhaps the only thing that has come closest to "whinging" in all these events. The complaint about umpiring, whatevver Shukla said, none of them came close to whining as this has done...

viktor

State Vice-Captain

But he doesn't say that is the only thing in the report. It is a part of the report.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hey I didn't bring this robbing house analogy.It is you who brought this analogy or robbing house and insurance claims etc in this discussion of cricket, not dont fret when I present you . If you are benefitting from a neeighbourhood robbery in any way then it is your responsibility to report it immidiately and not wait until you are robbed and offer to return it only after it has been found out that you have been knowingly benefitting from the neighbourhood robbery. If you dont return the money on your own and complain when you are the victim, then it is hypocrisy even if you accept during the investigation that you were benefitting from it .

Same way If you are going to benefitting from poor umpiring and know that you have knicked the ball and umpire has missed it, it is your responsibility to tell the umpire that you knicked the ball. If you dont report it either immidiately to the umpire or afterwards in the series report then it is akin to the situation above when you decide to complain against the decisions that go against you. It will indeed be hypocrisy.

I agree, You may not be able to reverse those decision that went in your favor, but you certainly can be honest in your report and comment about the umpiring standards in general and point out the occasions when the decisions were wrong even if it was in your favor. But if you choose to ignore the entire issue of poor umpiring altogether(because you benefitted from it) and report it only when you are on the wrong side of it then yes it is opportunistic and hypocritical.
Na, you're talking ideology. I'm talking practicality. If every team followed your oh-so-lofty standards, no team would be eligible to point out umpiring errors, and Rome would continue to burn.

What do you mean India didn't go out of their way to deliberately force decision ? Appealing after every ball in tight situation is indeed going out of the way, are you saying that India have not accepted and would not accept those decision for those stupid over appeals knowing fully well that 98% of those are not-outs ? They clearly go out of their way to get umpires to give outs when there are not and they happily accept it.
Its called leaving nothing to chance. Teams can be fined for over-appealing under ICC rules. Were India indicted for over-appealing?

And how is India a victim here, Did they lose the ODI series because of Umpiring ?
So batsmen being given out wrongly isn't being victimised?

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
There was no news conference, no one asked the question. so it must have been an information passed voluntarily by Rajiv Shukla, who has a history of doing that, hence It is a logical conclusion.
No, it is speculation you're involved in. I'm amazed you seem to think news conferences are the only outlets for information. All it takes is a few journalists catching the manager on his way somewhere and posing a few questions.

Rest of the team doesn't write the team report, Captain does. And captain doesn't feel confident in technology. The major issue through out the series has been the umpiring of Taufel and not others, so it is him whose competence is in question here.
The captain represents the team. If player x feels done by wrong umpiring, it is not he who fields a complaint in an individual capacity. The team, represented by the captain does so.

It depends on the language one uses and when/how one uses. There is a fine line between filling a complaint and whinning. Rajiv Shukla's statements sounded like Whinning, Dravid's didn't. And it should be kept private because it has something to do with professionalism. Dar/Taufel are pretty competent individuals, infact more competent than anyone in their profession right now, and to bring out this sort of mistakes in public give the media a chance to do a character assasination, puts them under extreme pressure and what not.
Difference of percepton. I see no whining. The very job of the umpires involves makng decisions in the public eye. If pointing out their mistakes is character assasination, man do I get character-assasinated everytime my mentor berates me for my mistakes in my group projects. :( I don't see their character being questioned at all. Only their decision making.

The last line of this quote is just pure rubbish and clearly shows your general disrespectful attitude towards umpires. You wont find more dignified umpires than Taufel and Dar. If that is how you keep umpires on their toes then good luck with it, very soon you will be left with Ashoka DeSilva's of the world. You promote good umpiring by educating them with the help of technology, not by putting them under constant scrutiny.
Yeah, Taufel and Dar made it to the Elite panel without any scrutiny, did they? I suppose they were born with silver spoons and were unquestioningly placed among the elite without them being evaluated at every stage of their careers. I suppose the ICC has the provision of teams evaluating the umpires in the end-of-tour reports just for fun. Sheesh, you're beginning to sound like some government servants I encounter often here in India.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
We still have no confirmation of any official complaint by BCCI. Wonder if all this debate will turn out to be hot air.
Hot air or not, it is certainly providing a fascinating insight into the thought processes of certain members here.:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its a week and still no 'sign' of an official protest. Wonder how many weeks we will have to wait for India to do the needful.:dry:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No, it is speculation you're involved in. I'm amazed you seem to think news conferences are the only outlets for information. All it takes is a few journalists catching the manager on his way somewhere and posing a few questions.
Same speculation you are involved in the other thread where you posted "Vengsarkar must be happy", so please get off the high horse and dont pretend as if you make posts only after you have all the proof in the world.

May be the Jouranlists asked the question, but they dont answer it, it was the team management that answered it. There are way to approach that answer, the way it was answered, it appeared as if they were talking about 7th ODI and I was proved right when Dravid said in another interview to Hindu.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The captain represents the team. If player x feels done by wrong umpiring, it is not he who fields a complaint in an individual capacity. The team, represented by the captain does so.
Ofcourse, but it is the captain that has the final authority and discreation to decide what he wants to do and how he wants to do. He cant come and say, oh I wrote this report because Sachin or Sourav were not happy with the decision and even though I personally was not for filling the report etc etc. If a captain files the report, it is he who is held responsible for what is written in the report, regardless of what the team thought or asked.

Difference of percepton. I see no whining. The very job of the umpires involves makng decisions in the public eye. If pointing out their mistakes is character assasination, man do I get character-assasinated everytime my mentor berates me for my mistakes in my group projects. :( I don't see their character being questioned at all. Only their decision making.
May be you dont, but I do and that's my right. I am not saying that Team management is doing a character assassination of the umpires by filing such a report but they certainly are giving media and public another reason to do so by coming out and making such statements in public.

Yeah, Taufel and Dar made it to the Elite panel without any scrutiny, did they? I suppose they were born with silver spoons and were unquestioningly placed among the elite without them being evaluated at every stage of their careers. I suppose the ICC has the provision of teams evaluating the umpires in the end-of-tour reports just for fun. Sheesh, you're beginning to sound like some government servants I encounter often here in India.
There is nothing wrong with evaluation, but doing so in public is. Go file the report, who is stopping you, but for gods sake dont make your opinion public. Would you like If Dravid started commenting about Players performance in Public ? And that you mentioned smething about mentors, would you like it if your mentors started criticing your report in public(voluntarily or not) in front of the whole world ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Taufel and Dar didn't make it to the Elite Panel because of scrutiny and whinning in public, they were consistent in their umpiring and hence they made it to the elite panel. You seem to imply that I am against filling a report. For the last time, I will make it clear :-

a. I am totally for Captains/team management filling honest report about umpiring regardless of the outcome of the series,

b. I am totally for filling a report on Umpires performance. My only beef is dont make it a public issue. It doesn't matter if you are asked about it in the media, you are the captain/manager of an international team and you should know how to deal with it. If you cant then you should not take up such important positions.

For rest of your elite crap about government servants and insight about the thought process of others, I dont really give a damn. If you cant respect others' opinion without taking a swipe at their thought process then I think you should look at your own thought process first and your ability to debate.