Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricketers who wasted their talents

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Haven't head that one about Inzy before, but Waqar Younis is generally thought to be 2 years older than cricket's records show him to be; Hasan Raza's debuting at 14 is pretty well inconceivable; and there are any number of cases involving players further back (Mushtaq Mohammed for instance).

By-and-large, as far as I know, more Pakistanis (and Bangladeshis) than not don't tend to have exact birthdates registered, leaving them free to "choose" their ages when they need to.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Happening big-time IMO. Read a lot of stuff about it, and it's a smart (stupid) way to extend your playing career. More opportunities at U-19 level the very least of it. Afridi is no doubt at least three years older than he says, and I think about six/seven. Inzy is said to be 40+. Very interesting stuff.
    Happens a lot in subcontinent(India/Pak/BD) and not limited to Cricketers, not the fault of cricketers themselves though, it is fault of their parents. There is an age restriction in most governement/Semi-govt jobs in India and hence lot of parents reduce the the age by couple of years when they enroll their kids in school.

Almost every Indian I know has two Birthdays a real one and an official one.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It does, actually, Nick Knight and Graeme Hick were both superb ODI batsmen, fit to rank with most of the best ODI batsmen of the modern era. As was Neil Fairbrother, and as will Kevin Pietersen almost certainly be in a few years' time.
    So how are Nick Knight, Graeme Hick fit to rank with the best ODI batsmen(e.g. Tendulkar, Richards, Bevan etc) of modern era ?

If you are going to make this kind of claim, people will laugh.

I laugh far more in contempt at your lack of any real knowledge of English players than you could ever possibly laugh, frankly.
    There wasn't anyone in the modern era worth knowing as far as ODIs are concerned.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Wow that's some claim.
    It was not mine, even Boycott and someone else mentioned it in commentary. Tell me, how many times have you actually seen him struggle to get runs. He just threw away starts almost as regularly as Sachin scores 50s or more in ODIs... He is the very definition of wasted talent as far as I am concerned.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Happens a lot in subcontinent(India/Pak/BD) and not limited to Cricketers, not the fault of cricketers themselves though, it is fault of their parents. There is an age restriction in most governement/Semi-govt jobs in India and hence lot of parents reduce the the age by couple of years when they enroll their kids in school.

hehehe yeah so true.

mines the other way... in official one i'm a year older than i;m supposed to be

So how are Nick Knight, Graeme Hick fit to rank with the best ODI batsmen(e.g. Tendulkar, Richards, Bevan etc) of modern era ?

If you are going to make this kind of claim, people will laugh.
    Umm, I was not comparing them to Bevan and Tendulkar.

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Umm, I was not comparing them to Bevan and Tendulkar.
    It does, actually, Nick Knight and Graeme Hick were both superb ODI batsmen, fit to rank with most of the best ODI batsmen of the modern era
    Stems from there old boy.

The "most" part was pretty carefully inserted - ie, to exclude the very, very best like Bevan, Tendulkar, Ponting, Saeed Anwar, Ganguly, Lara.

Both are fit to rank alongside and above just about anyone else from the post-1990 period, however.

The "most" part was pretty carefully inserted - ie, to exclude the very, very best like Bevan, Tendulkar, Ponting, Saeed Anwar, Ganguly, Lara.

Both are fit to rank alongside and above just about anyone else from the post-1990 period, however.
    If these batsmen were not among the above they simply were not the best. You seem to have your own definition of the word 'best'. I know the 'most' part was carefully inserted, so that you could argue to death that you didn't include Tendulkar, Ponting etc in your list ofbest and infact have another list called 'Very best' for them.

The point is that Knight, Fairbrother etc were not among the best batsmen of the modern era and unlike you my best includes Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Saeed, sourav etc. You cant have 100 batsmen in your best list.

Anyways care to point the best batsmen of modern era in your list ?
    Last edited by Sanz; 11-09-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )

Spot On, Same in Pakistan.
    Twitter @3Bouncers
    One of my friends said "And itís not like we havenít defeated India enough. I think weíve beaten them on a couple of occasions, on a lot of occasions, in fact."

still scratching around in the same old hole
    It's not, though, really. People also talked of Jackson and McCabe being equal to or better than Bradman at their best.

Not saying Hooper wasn't good, BTW, but someone saying "he could be better than *insert name of brilliant player*" happens about as often as the sun rising.
    Agree with Richard on this one . So many people say complimentary comparisons that they are virtually worthless. They are usually throw away comments that people unfortunately tend to remember.

Im sure most International cricketers have been tagged the next (insert name) or could have been as good as (insert name) at some stage of their career.

Hell I remember Daffy being compared to Hadlee
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

still scratching around in the same old hole
    My thoughts on a few of the players named

Shoaib- Im not sure I could say his talents have been wasted. Talking to Pakistani guys years ago that played with him, noone expected him to still be around now. The high estimate was on a 5 yr career due to the stresses and strains on the body and injuries. In that regard he has surpassed many peoples expectations.

Caddick- Caddick is a tough one. He certainly had an uneven temprament (sp?) but that also fed his nasty side. Power-puff one day and then a nasty surly bastard the next with the devil in his eye. If he was more balanced then maybe he would have lost that nasty side and not had the capability of destroying line-ups on his day. Interesting situation

Chris Lewis- Not a wasted talent IMO. Was never that much of a cricketer. He was more of an athlete that played cricket than a born cricketer. Never had the depth of skill or abilty to compliment his physical gifts. Would have been close to impossible for him to have achieved much more.

Cork- An over achiever in many ways. Lacked the pace to really worry batsmen but his competetive spirit drove him on to understand his limitations and become a solid Test player

Michael Bevan- Possibly the best batsman I have watched. Cetainly a victim of Aus batting depth but if there is someone in the wings more capable of scoring Test runs then maybe his exclusion was justified.

Alex Tudor- Played against him and know many others that have as well. No quite sure what people expected him to achieve. A tall med-fast bowler that could bat a bit. Certainly nothing special.

Ramprakash- A nervous player that played in a time when English cricket didnt pay much attention to the charater and personality of its players. Almost doomed to fail in the environment he played. Also though he potentially likes being a big fish in a small pond and only fulfills his ability in a relaxed environment. That is hard to replicate in Tests

Hick- See Ramprakash with the addition that he was even more fragile

Afridi- IMO nothing close to a wasted talent. Any top player could have his mediocre average and high strike rate if they chose to play that way every game. The reason they dont is that there are better ways to approach batting. Also the fact that Afridi cannot apply himself in a more traditional role shows his limitations. Somebody whos profile far exceeds their worth

Mushtaq Ahmed- Great bowler, should probably done more. Internal issues surely played a part.

The hard part is that many of these guys have mental strength issues. Not to say they are soft but lack the hardened edge many of the succesful players have. In that regard its hard to see the talent is wasted as they lacked a key element for success in the first place.
    Last edited by Goughy; 12-09-2007 at 02:29 AM.

I think David Hussey is one player whose talent is getting wasted and its hardly his fault its the Aussie selectors who are hell bent to not select him.
    Inzi is one player who i think seriously wasted his talent, if only he could have stopped being lazy he could have gone down into the history books as one the greatest batsman in the history of the game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    David Hussey doesn't deserve to be picked. I mean, who would you have him replace?
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information