• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flem hits form - But what will be his future

Days of Grace

International Captain
Just noticed that Stephen Fleming has hit 243 off 264 balls for Notts against Derby in the County Championship. This follows another century just 10 days or so ago.

The man is in prime form. But there are rumors that he has been approached by the evil ICL. Will he play for NZ this summer? I hope so. He should be in the 20/20 side as it is.

Swervy

International Captain
Insults like those are unacceptable.
Actually, in this context, I dont think the word '****' is an insult...especially in Northern England, the word is used in a freindly way, for example to say hello to some one you might say 'ya reet ****' or 'ya reet ****er'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well given that an Englishman (me) and Kiwi (Perm) reported the post (and DoG is a Kiwi so Perm's best-positioned to know what was meant) and that a USAn (ss) responded, don't you think it might just possibly have been an unacceptible comment?

And does the Rolleyes not suggest to you that the "context" was precisely nothing friendly?

Swervy

International Captain
Well given that an Englishman (me) and Kiwi (Perm) reported the post (and DoG is a Kiwi so Perm's best-positioned to know what was meant) and that a USAn (ss) responded, don't you think it might just possibly have been an unacceptible comment?

And does the Rolleyes not suggest to you that the "context" was precisely nothing friendly?

I think it is a word that has been misconstrued in this case, it is actually about as offensive in meaning as the word 'mate' is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wrong. The Rolleyes says it is used in an insulting manner. Can't understand why you'd think otherwise.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Wrong. The Rolleyes says it is used in an insulting manner. Can't understand why you'd think otherwise.
Agree...quite an unnecessary comment.....but dunno if the guy really meant to be really insulting or is it just the way he speaks ( if u get what i mean).....the fact that he hasnt responded since shows that he was in the wrong!

Swervy

International Captain
so is it the word '****' that offends you (despite, quite obviously to me, that it has not been used in an insulting manner) or is it the 8-) .

Would you have found the sentence 'You're right, mate, he should have scored at least 500 8-) ' offensive?

Because that is pretty much what he said, he might have been guilty of using a slight hint of sarcasm, but certainly not being offensive, Lets put it this way, I really dont think he was calling you a part of the male anatomy.

If any action is taken against him, it would be as far as I can see, totally unjustified.

Swervy

International Captain
Agree...quite an unnecessary comment.....but dunno if the guy really meant to be really insulting or is it just the way he speaks ( if u get what i mean).....the fact that he hasnt responded since shows that he was in the wrong!
or maybe he just hasnt been on the site or looked at the thread????

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
so is it the word '****' that offends you (despite, quite obviously to me, that it has not been used in an insulting manner) or is it the 8-) .

Would you have found the sentence 'You're right, mate, he should have scored at least 500 8-) ' offensive?

Because that is pretty much what he said, he might have been guilty of using a slight hint of sarcasm, but certainly not being offensive, Lets put it this way, I really dont think he was calling you a part of the male anatomy.

If any action is taken against him, it would be as far as I can see, totally unjustified.
He wasn't calling me anything, the insult was directed at Liam (Pup Clarke) who happens to be someone I (and it seems others) think doesn't really deserve such a comment.

It's not obvious to you what he meant, meantime - you have mistaken it due to your own experiences. Same way some people don't realise the term "Paki" is an insult because their experience of it is not one where people use it derogatorily.

The Rolleyes says clearly that it's a putdown of some sort - it conveys the tone. You honestly haven't heard someone called "you ****" in an insulting manner before? If not - frankly - you need to visit more parts of the country, and more places around The World.

Almost everywhere, calling someone "you ****" is an insult. No two ways - see the fact that a Kiwi, a Yank and a Brit have all interpreted it that way. And calling people derogatory names is fairly basically prohibited by CW forum rules (yeah yeah - don't go bashing on about EXD and all that - that's been taken off-limits, as has Beevs' nonsense that caused me to start to use "EXD" ITFP). So therefore to do so you need to expect a Mod to say "don't do that", and it's certainly not unjustified.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You may not, but just because X may forgive Y for stabbing him doesn't mean he should be spared jail.

(YES, EXAGGERATION USED, BUT NO MORE THAN THAT!!!!! NO HYPERBOLE!!!!!!!)

Swervy

International Captain
He wasn't calling me anything, the insult was directed at Liam (Pup Clarke) who happens to be someone I (and it seems others) think doesn't really deserve such a comment.

It's not obvious to you what he meant, meantime - you have mistaken it due to your own experiences. Same way some people don't realise the term "Paki" is an insult because their experience of it is not one where people use it derogatorily.

The Rolleyes says clearly that it's a putdown of some sort - it conveys the tone. You honestly haven't heard someone called "you ****" in an insulting manner before? If not - frankly - you need to visit more parts of the country, and more places around The World.

Almost everywhere, calling someone "you ****" is an insult. No two ways - see the fact that a Kiwi, a Yank and a Brit have all interpreted it that way. And calling people derogatory names is fairly basically prohibited by CW forum rules (yeah yeah - don't go bashing on about EXD and all that - that's been taken off-limits, as has Beevs' nonsense that caused me to start to use "EXD" ITFP). So therefore to do so you need to expect a Mod to say "don't do that", and it's certainly not unjustified.

if he had said 'you ****' then yeah fair enough, but he didn't, and the lack of 'you' in that completely changes the meaning of what he said....and Richard, less of the patronising tone would be appreciated, of course I understand that the term 'you ****' is used as an insult all over the place..so no I dont need to visit other parts of the country thanks all the same!!!!

Think about this for a second...do you honestly think if it was such a bad thing to use that word in the way I can see how it has been used, that it would be used in a soap such as Coronation Street (I think Vera and Jack Duckworth used to say quite a bit)? Even my 80 year old grandad says it, and I have never ever heard him swear!!!

I really do think it is you who has misinterpated what he has said. From what I can gather, Days of Grace has been a pretty solid citizen on this site, and I would take a punt that he might be pretty surprised by the reaction to what he has said, a reaction in fact started by your usual sanctimonious fashion.

Swervy

International Captain
I didn't even notice it at first tbh, lets just move on and I bear no grudges. :)
don't worry, I am pretty damned certain he wasnt calling you a name or anything. Richard has completely blown this out of all proportion, as usual