• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Xuhaib

International Coach
Most of the test series South Africa plays outside home are 2- test series especially when they play in the sub-continent.
Really can't remember when was the last time South Africa played in anything but a 2-test series in the sub-continent.
Anyways is South Africa happy with the situation and security arrangements in Pakistan.
These things can happen anywhere now, I dont remember Aussies complaining during Ashes 05 when the bombs popped off in london.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyways is South Africa happy with the situation and security arrangements in Pakistan.
They were not happy about playing in Peshawar and Rawalpindi, hence why the venues were switched and they are still concerned about Karachi.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
These things can happen anywhere now, I dont remember Aussies complaining during Ashes 05 when the bombs popped off in london.
Weren't the London bombings some time after the 2005 Ashes? I know there was a foiled plot to leak toxic gas into the Australian changing room at Lords, but that didn't come to light until the tour was long finished.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Weren't the London bombings some time after the 2005 Ashes? I know there was a foiled plot to leak toxic gas into the Australian changing room at Lords, but that didn't come to light until the tour was long finished.
07/07/2005, he time when the Natwest series was taking place.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Finally, some real cricket for Pakistan. Although I do think it may be one ODI too many, especially ahead of a longer tour to India. Feeling that Pakistan should win the Test series fairly comfortably. Should be good preparation though for what should be a stiff challenge in the Test series in India.

Beleg

International Regular
The only thing our present batting line-up will be able to win is a slogging competition.

jammay123

State 12th Man
Finally, some real cricket for Pakistan. Although I do think it may be one ODI too many, especially ahead of a longer tour to India. Feeling that Pakistan should win the Test series fairly comfortably. Should be good preparation though for what should be a stiff challenge in the Test series in India.
thats what people said about the 7 match odi series between ENG and IND and i believe it was a the best odi series of the year. dont knock the amount of games unless the series is dire after the first two or three games. but i am concerned about only two tests. i feel tests between major nations should be a minimum of atleast three or four matches considering test cricket is the highest level of cricket and tours should be centered around test cricket. also i feel that SA will really struggle to bowl out pakistan at all considering they have no spinner of note and ntini will have to carry the attack because pollock is past it but ntini himself is in bad form .

shortpitched713

International Captain
thats what people said about the 7 match odi series between ENG and IND and i believe it was a the best odi series of the year. dont knock the amount of games unless the series is dire after the first two or three games. but i am concerned about only two tests. i feel tests between major nations should be a minimum of atleast three or four matches considering test cricket is the highest level of cricket and tours should be centered around test cricket. also i feel that SA will really struggle to bowl out pakistan at all considering they have no spinner of note and ntini will have to carry the attack because pollock is past it but ntini himself is in bad form .
Nah, theres nothing wring with the number of ODIs per say, as 5 ODIs is pretty standard nowadays. I just feel that it will be a bit rough on the players to have such a short break between this series and the one in India. Hopefully Pakistan will have wrapped up the series by the last match though. :unsure:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My SA XI would be...

Smith
De Villiers
Amla
Kallis
Gibbs
Prince
Boucher
Pollock
Nel
Ntini
Harris/Steyn (really dependant on the pitch)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
07/07/2005, he time when the Natwest series was taking place.
That's actually not true - IIRR it was Gillespie who said they'd consider going home if any more bombs went off (not that this was ever especially likely, but of course there was another potential foil just weeks later).

However, to do so would have been pretty futile - Britain is no less safe than Australia. Equally, of course, most of Pakistan is no less safe (in fact quite possibly far more so) than Britain or Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They were not happy about playing in Peshawar and Rawalpindi, hence why the venues were switched and they are still concerned about Karachi.
Why Rawalpindi? :unsure:

Peshawar for obvious reasons and Karachi because it's a hub for many things, but I've never heard of any big dangers in Rawalpindi.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most urban places in this country (mercifully my city was recently named in the top 10 safest in the country - and still fights at 1AM on any night, never mind a Friday and Saturday, are an occurrance by the dozen) are places where you always need to watch your step after dark, some enormously so.

Now, of course I don't know a hell of a lot about Pakistan, and Peshawar, well, I've read that you need armed guards to travel around in relative security.

Places like Multan, Faisalabad, etc. though - all the journalism I've read on them suggests to me they're far, far safer places than pretty much any city in the UK. Especially Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, etc.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Places like Multan, Faisalabad, etc. though - all the journalism I've read on them suggests to me they're far, far safer places than pretty much any city in the UK. Especially Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, etc.
Well, I'm sure there are safe places in Pakistan as well as UK. I lived in Lahore and never had any problems yet there are several people who thought Lahore was as violent as Karachi. Neither one of us has obviously lived in the other's land so its hard to tell, and I certainly don't go by any journalism as there is always a certain level of bias involved. Only real comparison I can make is through my cousin who grew up in the out skirts of Lahore and has been living in Glasgow for over 20 years and prefers the latter.

P.S: You might have a point about Multan and Faisalabad. Don't hear too much about those people killing each other.

Bouncer

State Regular
:laugh: It's a year out! Nice one Bouncer. :p

:-O :-O
:unsure:

Hey i am not ruling out the possiblity of "White flight" from this tour....and may be the tour will get rescueduled for 08..

but seriously,:-O on my typos

thanks for pointing it out nightprowler10:D

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
My SA XI would be...

Smith
De Villiers
Amla
Kallis
Gibbs
Prince
Boucher
Pollock
Nel
Ntini
Harris/Steyn (really dependant on the pitch)
Gibbs is apparently going to make a return to opening. Boeta was scheduled to open in this series but it hasn’t been doing it for South Africa A, he will now most likely be pushing for Amla’s slot at three…

My side
Smith
Gibbs
Kallis
Prince
AB
Boucher
Pollock
Morkel
Steyn
Harris
Ntini

Don’t really want the tail to be that long but Pollock can step up his batting and Morkel is a more than competent batsman. Harris plays regardless of the wickets, his needs to be developed (and trusted) whilst Steyn takes the new ball in test cricket, period.