• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disappointed Pollock has been left out TBH, even with his lack of pace I feel his accuracy would make him a reasonably effective bowler on these flat tracks. I suppose with Steyn, nad to a lesser extent Morkel, the South African selectors are looking for a bowler to bowl 'wicket-taking deliveries' rather than be consistently on a line and length.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly can't believe there hasn't been more criticism, uproar etc about this. I mean this is a test series FFS, they leave their best bowler out of a test match cause he ain't fast enough.

I seriously hope Morkel and Steyn don't take any wickets so the SA selectors have egg on their face.

Perm

Pakistan Test team

Salman Butt
Mohammad Hafeez
Younis Khan
Mohammad Yousuf
Yasir Hameed
Shoaib Malik (c)
Kamran Akmal (wk)
Rao Iftikhar Anjum
Umar Gul
Danish Kaneria
Mohammad Asif

Butt picks himself because he is vice-captain, while Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf and Kamran Akmal are automatic choices in the batting line-up. I opted for Mohammad Hafeez to open instead of Taufeeq Umar, despite Umar's record against South Africa. Yasir Hameed is a better batsman than Faisal Iqbal and Misbah-ul-Haq , while Malik slots in at #6. The bowlers pick themselves, with the exception of Rao Iftikhar Anjum, who I picked over Abdur Rehman, beacuse there are other spinning options within the side.

Perm

Nice to see Boucher in the runs, unbeaten century yesterday. Patron's XI battling to avoid the follow on, Asim Kamal with a nice innings so far. Shame to see him not selected for Pakistan.

Perm

I've seen Butt bowl. He isn't the worst actually.
cricinfo has him listed as bowling off-break, much like virtually every other Pakistani batsman.

Geez, what's with you and liking to see batsman bowl? First Jehan Mubarak, now Salman Butt. I suppose you're a fan of Fleming the bowler aswell? :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
cricinfo has him listed as bowling off-break, much like virtually every other Pakistani batsman.

Geez, what's with you and liking to see batsman bowl? First Jehan Mubarak, now Salman Butt. I suppose you're a fan of Fleming the bowler aswell? :p
I don't recall mentioning Mubarak's bowling. I may have though, I suppose.

And I've seen Fleming bowl; absolute pies.

Perm

I don't recall mentioning Mubarak's bowling. I may have though, I suppose.

And I've seen Fleming bowl; absolute pies.
Was sure you commented on it when he bowled against Australia. Remember you saying something about Mahela Jayawardene or Chamara Silva during a Twenty20 against New Zealand a couple of years back.

Hey, ease off Fleming. He's got one more international wicket than you have :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was sure you commented on it when he bowled against Australia. Remember you saying something about Mahela Jayawardene or Chamara Silva during a Twenty20 against New Zealand a couple of years back.

Hey, ease off Fleming. He's got one more international wicket than you have :p
I commented on Silva bowling in the World Twenty20, asking why he didn't bowl more at international level. I don't think I mentioned Mubarak.

Jayawardene was quite a decent bowler at first class level as well.

Perm

I commented on Silva bowling in the World Twenty20, asking why he didn't bowl more at international level. I don't think I mentioned Mubarak.

Jayawardene was quite a decent bowler at first class level as well.
Ah okay, got my twirly-wirly part-timers mixed up.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I must say IMO big mistake dropping Pollock. His record in the subcontinent is good and don't SA realise they need someone to dry up the runs. Steyn (especially) and Ntini could go round the park on a bad day and without a world class spinner, who do you call on to contain if Pakistan get to say 200 for 2 on a flat pitch? Pace isn't everything you need accuracy too...

oz_fan

International Regular
Really disappointed that Pollock has been dropped. It's a slap in the face to drop the most experienced and best bowler in your side because the 'conditions don't suit'. He was named earlier this year as South Africa's best cricketer of the year and had been in great test form earlier in the year. Fair enough to give the younger players a go once the series was decided or if he failed in the first test.