• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akhtar and Asif in the news again

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Has it really? I mean, sure, there have always been factions and there has always been who-you-know-not-how-good-you-are in selection (Yawer once told me that it's common for those in high PCB places to get "we want no more Mohammads in the team now") but has it really been as chaotic as it often has with Shoaib and Afridi around?

I just cannot imagine this.
These guys are somrthing else really but thre have been major personality issues in Pakistan cricket for a very long time.

These guys have thrown the last pretense of discipline into the gutter.

Beleg

International Regular
my prediction is that inzi and akhtar (and yousuf) will all be back into the team by the beginning of the next year.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Has it really? I mean, sure, there have always been factions and there has always been who-you-know-not-how-good-you-are in selection (Yawer once told me that it's common for those in high PCB places to get "we want no more Mohammads in the team now") but has it really been as chaotic as it often has with Shoaib and Afridi around?

I just cannot imagine this.
It could have been that chaotic in the past had it not been for Imran. Simply put, Imran's overwhelming power/personality kept things from spiraling out of control. If you wanted to play for Pakistan, you had better not upset Imran. And though he had his biases, for the most part Imran was interested in picking players that were going to perform and not hurt the team. He demanded discipline and commitment. IMO, it is a shame that Shoaib didn't play in Imran's era. Shoaib could have realized his full potential under Imran. He would not have pulled his stunts in Imran's team. Either Shoaib would've behaved himself, or Imran would've thrown him out of the team. I don't think Pakistan cricket will ever have someone with the same influence/power that Imran did. They will have to learn to function together as a team…to behave and represent the country in a respectful manner. Sadly, Imran is no longer around to control the asylum.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And it is such a pity. And its not like Imran didn't have players who could have been trouble makers or had ego issues. AFAIK Zaheer Abbas, Javed Miandad had major differences with Imran and then there was Sarfira Nawaz.

Fusion

Global Moderator
And it is such a pity. And its not like Imran didn't have players who could have been trouble makers or had ego issues. AFAIK Zaheer Abbas, Javed Miandad had major differences with Imran and then there was Sarfira Nawaz.
Exactly. He had his shares of strong personalities to deal with. Even so, he was able to unite the team to perform as one. He did that partly by leading by example, and partly through fear. He had so much power that no one could get out of hand (some tried and lost). I just don't see anyone in the future that can have the same effect as Imran. That's not to say someone as talented as him won't come around. It's just that times have changed. When Imran was emerging, he was transforming a nation's self-image. He transformed Pakistan into winners. Hell, he made them ***y. The entire nation was in awe of him and his accomplishments. That same aura can not be captured again. People have been there and done that already. Hence, Pakistan need to learn to function without an overwhelming force/leader like Imran.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It could have been that chaotic in the past had it not been for Imran. Simply put, Imran's overwhelming power/personality kept things from spiraling out of control. If you wanted to play for Pakistan, you had better not upset Imran. And though he had his biases, for the most part Imran was interested in picking players that were going to perform and not hurt the team. He demanded discipline and commitment. IMO, it is a shame that Shoaib didn't play in Imran's era. Shoaib could have realized his full potential under Imran. He would not have pulled his stunts in Imran's team. Either Shoaib would've behaved himself, or Imran would've thrown him out of the team. I don't think Pakistan cricket will ever have someone with the same influence/power that Imran did. They will have to learn to function together as a team…to behave and represent the country in a respectful manner. Sadly, Imran is no longer around to control the asylum.
What about in the early 1970s? That's the time that interests me most. Imran only appeared for real in 1976\77.

I mean, Pakistan were described as a "bore-draw" team in the 1960s, so there must have been some element of sobriety somewhere.

Something I've often also wondered is: why is Imran, who had such (positive) power as captain, never tried to recapture that as PCB chairman? Given how often he's criticised the PCB, why has he never tried to do something about it?

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
What about in the early 1970s? That's the time that interests me most. Imran only appeared for real in 1976\77.

I mean, Pakistan were described as a "bore-draw" team in the 1960s, so there must have been some element of sobriety somewhere.
Well I didn't follow Pakistan cricket in the '60's or '70's because I didn't arrive in this world (triumphantly I might add) till 1977 . From what I've read/heard, the team back then was indeed less controversial. The likes of Hanif, Fazal, Majid Khan etc were more….docile than Shoaib/Afridi.

haroon510

International 12th Man
my prediction is that inzi and akhtar (and yousuf) will all be back into the team by the beginning of the next year.
it would be really a good move if we see both inzi and yousuf playing in the team but not shoaib... the weakness of pakistan cricket team is when they don't play as a team... they don't unite... if pakistan team play united the team is pretty strong to beat.

pup11

International Coach
Look ego problems are a part of every big team, but as long as these feeling can be kept out of the cricketing field there won't be any problem, Shane Warne never liked Steve Waugh or Gilchrist much but when he was on-field with these guys he hardly showed any signs of that.
Every international cricketer is a professional and when you are out there on the field you should also behave like one, sadly Pakistan has never been able to do that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Look ego problems are a part of every big team, but as long as these feeling can be kept out of the cricketing field there won't be any problem, Shane Warne never liked Steve Waugh or Gilchrist much but when he was on-field with these guys he hardly showed any signs of that.
Every international cricketer is a professional and when you are out there on the field you should also behave like one, sadly Pakistan has never been able to do that.
I think the blame has to be shared by the administrators.

Playing favourites is almost as big a sport in Pakistan as the game itself. This allows the players to get away with almost anything. The impunity with which Pakistani cricketers seem to conduct themselves is partly because most of them have Godfathers who take care after the event.

Many of these godfathers are former cricketers who continue their politics, mutual dislikes, regional fovouritism well into their retirements. The establishment is over-run by politicians and military men who like to have these former cricketers around since they themselves know next to nothing about the game itself. Thay are in it purely for the power associated with it.

India isn't much better but somewhat better for which the relative independence of BCCI could be the reason.

haroon510

International 12th Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_f8Exwcfg
i just can't stop laughing hearing this... a banch of drama queen homoes lol
this proves that indian media is full of crap, an accurate and would do anything to get any pakistani cricketer in trouble...they will do anything to give pakistan bad name by using thier own heros.

R_D

International Debutant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_f8Exwcfg
i just can't stop laughing hearing this... a banch of drama queen homoes lol
this proves that indian media is full of crap, an accurate and would do anything to get any pakistani cricketer in trouble...they will do anything to give pakistan bad name by using thier own heros.
Lets just not go there... this will most likely turn into a political thread if we start talking about media and what they do.
I agree with you that India's media is totally crap and same can be said about media in most other countries.