Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should International Batsmen Walk?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    However, there's no reason at all not to walk if you nick one if you feel that is right. And I do, personally. So did many in bygone days. Sadly, less at the current time.
    Just a bit of rose tinted glasses there, Rich?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I never said everyone walked did I? UIMM it's always been tradition in Australia to try and get away with everything you can, and only a relatively small number have broken that mould.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Captain umop 3p!sdn's Avatar
    If I play with proper umpires then I won't walk, but I just think it's not nice to put you team mates under uneccessary pressure when they are umpiring.

I think its a personal preference and decision whether an individual wants to walk or not, in international cricket somedays some decision go your way somedays they go against you so its a part and parcel of the game, there is an umpire to make the decisions and whatever decision he makes should be accepted by the players.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    If you're given, then yeah you probably should.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I'm of the opinion that batsman should walk, but I don't hold it against them if they don't. One reason I really respect Adam Gilchrist and Mark Boucher TBH.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

If a batsman nicks a ball and the umpire doesn't give him out but the batsman honestly walks off then thats fine because a right decision is made, but when a batsman doesn't nick the ball but the umpire gives him out then the batsman can't do anything about that even when he knows that the wrong decision has been made, so as a player one should just let the umpires make the decisions.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    If you're given, then yeah you probably should.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    If a batsman nicks a ball and the umpire doesn't give him out but the batsman honestly walks off then thats fine because a right decision is made, but when a batsman doesn't nick the ball but the umpire gives him out then the batsman can't do anything about that even when he knows that the wrong decision has been made, so as a player one should just let the umpires make the decisions.
    So two wrongs make a right?

No.

IMO if you nick it and walk fair play to you. If you dont walk its ok because thats part of the game some desicions go against you. Personally i wouldnt walk. Need all the time in the middle as possible :P
    RIP BOB WOOLMER

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Well, I used to be a fan of walking when you know you are out, but judging by what Brian Lara (and to an extent, Adam Gilchrist) have gone through, I think it is best to follow the Jonty Rhodes method... Walk when the umpire gives you out without showing any disgust, otherwise just carry on. Seems the best method, to me. I think Lara and Gilly (def. Lara) would have benefitted by a couple of runs up in their average had they not walked. It hasn't stopped them from getting their share of bad decisions either, so it is basically pointless, AFAIC.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

My theory is simple that umpire is out their to do a job and gets paid for it (so he isn't doing any social service), so its upto him to make a decision whether its right or not that doesn't matter the players should just accept it and move on with it, obviously if the umpire is making far too many bad decisions then he would be chucked out of the elite panel.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    One thing I say is, is that if you don't walk, then you shouldn't complain about get rubbish desicions from the umpire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    One thing I say is, is that if you don't walk, then you shouldn't complain about get rubbish desicions from the umpire.
    Even worse than that is when batsman walk when it suits them, but come a pressure situation they do a complete 360 and won't walk. Worst thing IMO. The situation shouldn't dictate whether or not you walk.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Well, I used to be a fan of walking when you know you are out, but judging by what Brian Lara (and to an extent, Adam Gilchrist) have gone through, I think it is best to follow the Jonty Rhodes method... Walk when the umpire gives you out without showing any disgust, otherwise just carry on. Seems the best method, to me. I think Lara and Gilly (def. Lara) would have benefitted by a couple of runs up in their average had they not walked. It hasn't stopped them from getting their share of bad decisions either, so it is basically pointless, AFAIC.
    Rhodes was a walker - he once said "the Lord doesn't like cheating" (Rhodes is a strong Christian).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information