• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should International Batsmen Walk?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm of the opinion that batsman should walk, but I don't hold it against them if they don't. One reason I really respect Adam Gilchrist and Mark Boucher TBH.

pup11

International Coach
If a batsman nicks a ball and the umpire doesn't give him out but the batsman honestly walks off then thats fine because a right decision is made, but when a batsman doesn't nick the ball but the umpire gives him out then the batsman can't do anything about that even when he knows that the wrong decision has been made, so as a player one should just let the umpires make the decisions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If a batsman nicks a ball and the umpire doesn't give him out but the batsman honestly walks off then thats fine because a right decision is made, but when a batsman doesn't nick the ball but the umpire gives him out then the batsman can't do anything about that even when he knows that the wrong decision has been made, so as a player one should just let the umpires make the decisions.
So two wrongs make a right?

No.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
IMO if you nick it and walk fair play to you. If you dont walk its ok because thats part of the game some desicions go against you. Personally i wouldnt walk. Need all the time in the middle as possible :P

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, I used to be a fan of walking when you know you are out, but judging by what Brian Lara (and to an extent, Adam Gilchrist) have gone through, I think it is best to follow the Jonty Rhodes method... Walk when the umpire gives you out without showing any disgust, otherwise just carry on. Seems the best method, to me. I think Lara and Gilly (def. Lara) would have benefitted by a couple of runs up in their average had they not walked. It hasn't stopped them from getting their share of bad decisions either, so it is basically pointless, AFAIC.

pup11

International Coach
My theory is simple that umpire is out their to do a job and gets paid for it (so he isn't doing any social service), so its upto him to make a decision whether its right or not that doesn't matter the players should just accept it and move on with it, obviously if the umpire is making far too many bad decisions then he would be chucked out of the elite panel.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
One thing I say is, is that if you don't walk, then you shouldn't complain about get rubbish desicions from the umpire.

Perm

One thing I say is, is that if you don't walk, then you shouldn't complain about get rubbish desicions from the umpire.
Even worse than that is when batsman walk when it suits them, but come a pressure situation they do a complete 360 and won't walk. Worst thing IMO. The situation shouldn't dictate whether or not you walk.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, I used to be a fan of walking when you know you are out, but judging by what Brian Lara (and to an extent, Adam Gilchrist) have gone through, I think it is best to follow the Jonty Rhodes method... Walk when the umpire gives you out without showing any disgust, otherwise just carry on. Seems the best method, to me. I think Lara and Gilly (def. Lara) would have benefitted by a couple of runs up in their average had they not walked. It hasn't stopped them from getting their share of bad decisions either, so it is basically pointless, AFAIC.
Rhodes was a walker - he once said "the Lord doesn't like cheating" (Rhodes is a strong Christian).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Should International Batsmen Walk?

No they should take the Underground.

Sorry for the corny one liner. But everytime I see that thread topic this is what I say to myself. :)

Johnners

They can do what they like imo, unless of course the decision goes against Australia :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Rhodes was a walker - he once said "the Lord doesn't like cheating" (Rhodes is a strong Christian).
have seen him stay in a couple of times when he nicked them, tbh... not sure when, but I seem to remember that. Also, didn't he claim Sachin caught when he had clearly put the ball on the ground? I guess by cheating he meant, not doing other stuff. Not walking is not cheating in my opinion, as long as you don't complain about bad decisions.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Walk when you think its obvious, otherwise stand your ground and look at the fielders appealing as if they are idiots. ofc, I am talking about backyard cricket :happy:

andyc

Walk when you think its obvious, otherwise stand your ground and look at the fielders appealing as if they are idiots. ofc, I am talking about backyard cricket :happy:
Agree with this. It can take a long time to get a bat, you don't give it up easily.