• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg

masterblaster

International Captain
Well, I still dont rate him very highly, although his fielding I must say has been very good since i bagged him. I prefer to see Hauritz their instead of him in the squad (or even Funky Miller for that matter) as Australia have many better spinners than Hogg.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Gee, looks like the 'worst spinner in Australia' probably CAN bowl and field after all.

He's Australia's leading wicket-taker in the series at the moment...............Brett Lee and Shane Watson are one wicket behind him and have played more matches.

Also, Shane Watson is right up there in the aggregates with the ball (10 wickets in 7 matches before today's match) too.

Interesting.
Taking his wickets at over 30 a piece ain't great if you ask me.

Also Shane Watson's done ok but as Rich has said a lot of his wickets have come in the slog overs where most of the time all you have to do is bowl straight. He's improving but still I'm not sure if he'll still be here in a few year's time.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Chris, you ought to come and see our club's U13 side - we have 7 leg spinners...

On for a treble next year, then? ;)
Sheesh...do they all bowl in the same match? :lol:

Well I suppose you could argue that the attack lacks variety...:lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
Sheesh...do they all bowl in the same match? :lol:

Well I suppose you could argue that the attack lacks variety...:lol:
Noooo.. they don't all bowl in the same match. Our front line attack at that level actually consists of left arm pace, right arm pace, leg spin, off spin, in-swing and out-swing.

So there...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Our front line attack at that level actually consists of left arm pace, right arm pace, leg spin, off spin, in-swing and out-swing.
...then you :lol:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taking his wickets at over 30 a piece ain't great if you ask me.

Also Shane Watson's done ok but as Rich has said a lot of his wickets have come in the slog overs where most of the time all you have to do is bowl straight. He's improving but still I'm not sure if he'll still be here in a few year's time.
Oh please, don't tell this me that this is coming from one of the very people who defended James Anderson and derided people for not giving enough credit to him for his bowling performance.........say it isn't so............

Dude, give some credit will you? You quote his average of 30 for the 5 matches he played before last night but forget that with yesterday's figures factored in, his average dipped to 26, not to mention that his wickets have come at just over 19 in his last 4 games. But disregarding stats, he has bowled exceptionally well. I mean, considering the Sri Lankan's are up there with the very best players of spin (particularly wrist-spin) in the world, for Brad Hogg to beat these guys with his wrong-un says a lot for how he's bowling at the moment.

As for Shane Watson, to dismiss his wickets as 'only coming in the slog overs' is at best insulting to him and at worst completely wrong.

Cases in point (I'm only counting he matches in which he's taken wickets, as this is the variable in question):

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...BS/SCORECARDS/AUS_ENG_VBS_ODI2_15DEC2002.html

1/31: Nick Knight in the 25th over.

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...VBS/SCORECARDS/AUS_SL_VBS_ODI5_22DEC2002.html

3/27: K Sangakkara in the 37th over; R Kaluwitharana 41st over, P Gunaratne 43rd over.

- Sri Lanka had already lost the game by that point so they were hardly trying to slog in trying for a higher total or to beat Australia. They were actually batting quite slowly at that point.

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...VBS/SCORECARDS/AUS_SL_VBS_ODI6_09JAN2003.html

2/72: S Jayasuriya in the 34th over; A de Silva in the 38th over.

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...BS/SCORECARDS/AUS_ENG_VBS_ODI7_11JAN2003.html

2/36: Stewart in the 48th over; Hussain in the 50th over.

- This is the only time you could say with any conviction that he'd got wickets when the batsmen were looking to 'slog'. That said, he'd bowled very well until that point and bowled well to prevent England winning what should have been a canter for them. Everyone WHO ACTUALLY SAW THE GAME thought he bowled well and I didn't hear one commentator say the wickets were only due to the batsmen going for the slog. I know you can't see the games live but if you had, maybe your impression would be different.

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_...S/SCORECARDS/AUS_ENG_VBS_ODI11_19JAN2003.html

2/18: Stewart in the 23rd over; Blackwell in the 25th.

So give a little credit when it's due, eh? I mean, you complained when people didn't do the same for Anderson and when people seemed to be only looking for negatives, right?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Not even the harshest critic can deny that Hogg and Watson are big parts as to why Australia is in the sucessful position they are right now in this series. And this is disregarding Watson's batting in the series too, which has been exactly what's been asked of him.

Oh and check your facts next time. :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/JAN/125270_AAP_22JAN2003.html

Warne expected to announce retirement AAP - 22 January 2003

Shane Warne is set to announce his retirement from one-day cricket this afternoon.

Warne is expected to make the announcement when he arrives in Sydney as part of the Australian team for tomorrow's first final of the tri series against England at the SCG.

Warne will play in the cricket World Cup in southern Africa starting next month and then quit the one-day arena.

Warne is on the comeback trail after dislocating his shoulder last month but has said recently that would give up one-day cricket in order to further his Test career.

The 32-year-old has taken 288 wickets from 191 one-day internationals.

© 2003 AAP NewsWire

Interesting development. Maybe the plan all along was to make Brad Hogg as the one-day wrist spinner with Warnie to retire. Either way, 'the worst spinner in Australia' might be with us for a while yet!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/JAN/125270_AAP_22JAN2003.html

Warne expected to announce retirement AAP - 22 January 2003

Shane Warne is set to announce his retirement from one-day cricket this afternoon.

Warne is expected to make the announcement when he arrives in Sydney as part of the Australian team for tomorrow's first final of the tri series against England at the SCG.

Warne will play in the cricket World Cup in southern Africa starting next month and then quit the one-day arena.

Warne is on the comeback trail after dislocating his shoulder last month but has said recently that would give up one-day cricket in order to further his Test career.

The 32-year-old has taken 288 wickets from 191 one-day internationals.

© 2003 AAP NewsWire

Interesting development. Maybe the plan all along was to make Brad Hogg as the one-day wrist spinner with Warnie to retire. Either way, 'the worst spinner in Australia' might be with us for a while yet!
Chance for Warne to get 300 ODI Wickets? I'd still pick Hauritz, he's been unfairly treated IMO.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Oh and check your facts next time. :)
I was commenting on the series before the Aus-Sri game. I didn't see the result of the match until I looked it up on teletext a few hours later. Look at the players Watson got out, they are players who allways give a chance...I'd guess it was good fielding that got them out when that chance came rather than amazing bowling.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yes rick but you really do need to give him some more credit.

In his last 15 mathes he has made somthing like 250 runs an Avg 69 (all be it with alot of not outs) and taken his wickets at about 24.

there good figures no matter what you say. he is talented and for you just to disragared his figures and talent and say you dont think he will be in the team in a few years is not giving him credit.

You would be rightly annoyed If I said Anderson isent that good I dont think he will be in the team in a few years.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Yes rick but you really do need to give him some more credit.

In his last 15 mathes he has made somthing like 250 runs an Avg 69 (all be it with alot of not outs) and taken his wickets at about 24.

there good figures no matter what you say. he is talented and for you just to disragared his figures and talent and say you dont think he will be in the team in a few years is not giving him credit.

You would be rightly annoyed If I said Anderson isent that good I dont think he will be in the team in a few years.
Anderson is doing ok, but the most wickets Anderson has taken in a match is 2, Watson's is 3...the better players take bigger hauls like 4 or 5 every so often...

Ok both are talented but they need to take bigger hauls. And Watson's average of 35 with the bat contains only one 50...and that was against Kenya...

Oh and it's Rik ;) as in the last 3 letters of Erik from Erik the Viking :rolleyes:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well its pritty hard for Watson to take a five or considering how many good bowlers there are in the team.

Despite the fact he has only made one fifty he has not had many opertunitys to make them maybe 3 times were he has had a genuine opertunity to make a good score so I cant balame him for that.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Well its pritty hard for Watson to take a five or considering how many good bowlers there are in the team.

Despite the fact he has only made one fifty he has not had many opertunitys to make them maybe 3 times were he has had a genuine opertunity to make a good score so I cant balame him for that.
So I suppose Anderson should be taking more because of the lack of support he has?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Anderson will take more I can tell he is good enough.

I would not be supprised at all to see Anderson pick up a few 5 wicket halls soon.

Any way I think its fair to say Anderson is a better bowler than Watson. Watsons main talent is his batting.