• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
what do you think scofileds average would be if he played for victoria rik, playing on a good spinning pitch 0-1 time per year i think he might wll average in teh 33-40 range
Well he was playing on a pitch which doesn't really suit spin. Also it's all well and good saying White would take stacks of Wickets at barely any cost...but where's the proof? Answer...there is none.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Andre said:
Who are you, the thought police? Quite frankly, what Marc and Rik generally say is not far from what's right.
Wow, first Rik and I are agreeing on something, and second we're talking sense!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
what do you think scofileds average would be if he played for victoria rik, playing on a good spinning pitch 0-1 time per year i think he might wll average in teh 33-40 range
Yeah Rik, remember he's not an Aussie so automatically is 25% worse.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Yeah Rik, remember he's not an Aussie so automatically is 25% worse.
Oh sorry, I forgot the magic rule ;)

I thought it was 50% though...:lol:

sasnoz

Banned
and who do you think u are winston smith or something
[animal farm was a better book]
and rik why cant u accept aussies have got better youth than the english

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
sasnoz said:
and who do you think u are winston smith or something
[animal farm was a better book]
and rik why cant u accept aussies have got better youth than the english
Well I can't accept it as there is no proof that the Aussies have better youth players than England. And didn't England U19s just beat Australia U19s? That's called Youth Cricket...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Actually Rik Old Trafford is quite a turning pitch. Luckily we will never have to suffer the likes of Schofield again (well not for some time anyway, the current obsession is to find an out and out fast bowler, regardless of which country the ball lands in).

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazzaroodoo said:
Actually Rik Old Trafford is quite a turning pitch. Luckily we will never have to suffer the likes of Schofield again (well not for some time anyway, the current obsession is to find an out and out fast bowler, regardless of which country the ball lands in).
It wasn't really a turning pitch till Murali was signed. Then Schofield didn't play too often as Murali was the number 1 spinner and Lancs didn't want to play 2 spinners. Schofield has talent, if you saw the ball he bowled to Gloustershire's Chris Taylor in a Natwest Semi a few years ago which turned from well outside leg to hit middle then you would agree. His action doesn't lend it's self to consistancy though, he's a surprise bowler but he could become useful in the future.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Well I can't accept it as there is no proof that the Aussies have better youth players than England. And didn't England U19s just beat Australia U19s? That's called Youth Cricket...
And most of ours were under 18s as we're looking to the next WC...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazzaroodoo said:
I don't want someone who could become useful.

I want someone who will become world class.
Yes but they only come around every so often. Quality spinners and such. Batsmen are more common.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Yes, but if we keep picking players in the hope they might, just might, become 'useful' we're never gonna challenge the likes of Australia.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
However, until a player is found who is of world-class and good enough to tackle the Aussies, the useful players will have to play. Remember, you need to play XI at a time and 'useful' is better than mediocre.

There have been a few useful players who will always be remembered. Gerry Gomez comes to mind and the useful Nasser Hussain has done pretty well for himself.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
sasnoz said:
honestly ur gonna have to wait to aussie slip there standards
Well the Aussie U19 Team did quite well but were ultimately defeated by England U19...that shows a bit of a slip in Standards.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sasnoz said:
honestly ur gonna have to wait to aussie slip there standards
Not really. Australia showed that it's possible to raise the level of your play, so why can't England? Why can't England raise their standards? It's very possible and will happen in the near future.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Not really. Australia showed that it's possible to raise the level of your play, so why can't England? Why can't England raise their standards? It's very possible and will happen in the near future.
Well the young West Indians arn't doing too badly are they? And to think the team was in decline a few months ago...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
There have been a few useful players who will always be remembered. Gerry Gomez comes to mind and the useful Nasser Hussain has done pretty well for himself.
I wouldn't describe Hussain as useful though. I would say he is a very good test match batsman, who averages 37. He has also been an inspirational captain who has helped England improve a great deal in three and a half years.