• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fast Bowler Weapons

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
IIRC Lindwall modeled his action on Larwood (I read it somewhere but can't remember where).

However, his action is slightly different (especially Lindawall's tendency to drop the bowling arm a little but) because Larwood's action took enormous upper body strength. It was strength that Lindwall did not have - at least not to a similar degree, thus he was unable to completely replicate Larwood's action.
Yes thats right. In fact if you see Larwood running in (and you have seen Lindwal's footage before) you cant miss the similarity. The run in is uncannily similar, smooth, silent with left shoulder leading.

As they come to the bowling crease the action is still classical and when the leftarm goes up the body is still side on though Larwood's appears slightly more so.

Larwood about to deliver

Lindwall's eyes are not that clearly seen from behind his leadingarm above the left shoulder.

But the difference is slight.
It looks even less here

Lindwall getting into delivery stride

But then this is taken a fraction of a second earlier. But they are both beautifully balanced and the head very stil, in relation to the body,l even as the body is surging forward with great momentum. Its easy to feel the coiling up of the body before the final swing of the bowling arm. It is classical and it is beautiful.

Its the follow through that reveals what JBH001 is talking about. Clearly a lot of the upper body has gone into Larwood's action . Unfortunately I dont have access to a Lindwall follow through picture at present. Here is one of him delivering the ball though.

Larwood follow through​

Lindwall in delivery stride​

Its fascinating how Larwood's action became the model for Lindwall and then Lindwall's for Lillee. Three great bowlers separated by half a century.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WoW, I do love a good chain. :)

Surely Trueman has to be in there somewhere too though?

speirz

State Vice-Captain
That is a perfectly legal action though and mind ya it has to do a lot with the anatomy !!
I'd argue that Malinga's action is in fact the best action to be considered a fast bowling "weapon". Personally i'd prefer to face someone with a conventional action which you have some chance of reading, as opposed to an unconventional style like Malinga or Tait where you have no idea where and when the ball is going to leave his hand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has anyone actually ever genuinely bowled off the wrong foot? I've always presumed it was almost impossible if you bowl to any decent standard, and that the term was only ever used as a cliché.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Has anyone actually ever genuinely bowled off the wrong foot? I've always presumed it was almost impossible if you bowl to any decent standard, and that the term was only ever used as a cliché.
I made an under-eleven regional team bowling off the wrong foot.

The_Bunny

State Regular
I have tried it in the nets, very awkward and you cant generate any pace at all.