• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fast Bowler Weapons

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed - the similarities are no coincidence.

And on top of that, Lindwall used to practice his Larwood impersonations on the same street that one WJ O'Reilly would walk home along of an afternoon. O'Reilly never let on that he noticed, but did write years later about the athletic young lad with the long run up.

Though given young Ray wasn't practicing leggies, I'm actually surprised Tiger didn't go over and deck him.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon Fred Trueman would give Lillee a run for his money on "attitude".

And old Ernie Jones might just back himself against both.

sps

Cricket Spectator
It really annoys me seeing fast bowlers use the tactic of bowl as fast as you can and hope for the best. Usually if they are the 140kph to 150kph types like Ian Butler they get the smashing they deserve but if they have extreme pace like Shoiab and Tait then at times they get away with it which is infuriating. I regard the bowlers with some accuracy much higher than these annoyances. Bowling is meant to be accurate!!!!

This rant was proudly brought to you by a bitter medium pacer
i agree i find accuracy harder to deal with than pace

pup11

International Coach
I think one of the most lethal deliveries in international cricket is probably the reverse swinging toecrusher that Waqar used to ball,he introduced the art of reverse swing into international cricket along with Akram and left batsman all around the world with sore and broken toes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It may have been Sarfraz Nawaz, however - and he may have learnt it from Asif Masood.

Wasim and Waqar were those who turned it from a mysterious Pakistani "art" into a weapon that all knew and loved to covet, however. :p

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I think one of the most lethal deliveries in international cricket is probably the reverse swinging toecrusher that Waqar used to ball,he introduced the art of reverse swing into international cricket along with Akram and left batsman all around the world with sore and broken toes.
Yeah, I always remember that ball that Waqar bowled to Brian Lara. That was as close to unplayable as it gets, and to leave a player like Lara lying on the floor takes some doing.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
It may have been Sarfraz Nawaz, however - and he may have learnt it from Asif Masood.

Wasim and Waqar were those who turned it from a mysterious Pakistani "art" into a weapon that all knew and loved to covet, however. :p
Agreed, Waqar and Wasim, and earlier Imran, helped turn it into a dangerous weapon but Sarfaraz Nawaz is credited to have introduced it into international cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agreed, Waqar and Wasim, and earlier Imran, helped turn it into a dangerous weapon but Sarfaraz Nawaz is credited to have introduced it into international cricket.
What's always interested me, as I say, is - was Sarfraz really the person that discovered it? Or is he just the only person lacking enough in humility not to say "I learnt it from Asif Masood" (or whoever)?

The fact, though, that no-one has ever come out and said "actually I showed Sarfraz..." though, means that as things stand, it has to be credited to him.

funnygirl

State Regular
I like Malinga's yorker .My favourite modern day fast bowlers are Shane bond and Malinga(weird action though).

Beleg

International Regular
richard,

go to youtube and search for any of the shoaib akhtar montages. now watch how many of the them lost their stumps/wickets simply because they were too late - the ball did diddly squat in the air or of the pitch.

JBH001

International Regular
Agreed, I reckon Lindwall is a strong contender for best run-up and action as well - I love watching the old footage of him bowling. Larwood too - uncannily similar to Lindwall, though a little higher and more powerful and not quite as smooth.

I've never seen footage, but from what I've read Ted McDonald would also be a contender for best/smoothest run-up. Neville, what do you remember of him...? :)
IIRC Lindwall modeled his action on Larwood (I read it somewhere but can't remember where).

However, his action is slightly different (especially Lindawall's tendency to drop the bowling arm a little but) because Larwood's action took enormous upper body strength. It was strength that Lindwall did not have - at least not to a similar degree, thus he was unable to completely replicate Larwood's action.