• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Discord

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, umm, yeah... everso slightly! :mellow:

Can't believe anyone is seriously comparing Shoaib and Thommo... or are they?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because people think he did everything he could, and IMO he could have done much more, especially with the bat.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, umm, yeah... everso slightly! :mellow:

Can't believe anyone is seriously comparing Shoaib and Thommo... or are they?
Just throwing Thommos' name about to queer the pitch :ph34r: I find it odd that some people rave about Thomson but rarely rate Shoaib to the extent he should be rated. In that context, I feel Shoaib is underrated.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
People tend to go bannanas about Thommo, simply because he was probably the fastest bowler ever, the same with Shoaib to an extent.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
People tend to go bannanas about Thommo, simply because he was probably the fastest bowler ever, the same with Shoaib to an extent.
Yeah, but the thing is Shoaib has a superior record to Thomson's. Better average, better strike rate, more matches played despite missing so many.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I haven't ever heard of Thommo being called a great bowler though, merely that he was fast.

And for the record, Akram isn't overrated and Shoaib isn't underrated. Akram is rightly placed as the best or the second best left arm seamer (along with Davidson) and Akhtar is rightly placed as a very fast bowler who can be lethal on his day but could have accomplished a lot more.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Can't really how you can talk about such well known players, especially Akram, as underrated or overrated. With players who only played a little or weren't big names, yes, by all means. But Akram has earned his reputation and his record speaks for itself. No-one can someone like him judged like this. Was Bradman overrated? Was he underrated? Was Sobers overrated? I don't think so.

Flem274*

123/5
I've always wondered if had Akhtar been slightly slower (145kph-155kph) would he have had the same success? He looks to have mid range accuracy and gets wickets mainly with extreme speed or the yorker.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Can't really how you can talk about such well known players, especially Akram, as underrated or overrated. With players who only played a little or weren't big names, yes, by all means. But Akram has earned his reputation and his record speaks for itself. No-one can someone like him judged like this. Was Bradman overrated? Was he underrated? Was Sobers overrated? I don't think so.
Absolutely spot on.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I've always wondered if had Akhtar been slightly slower (145kph-155kph) would he have had the same success? He looks to have mid range accuracy and gets wickets mainly with extreme speed or the yorker.
maybe not, but then that is is his skill and his speed is what makes him special. Would Warne have had as many wickets if he turned it slightly less?????