• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Piyush Chawla

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Just wondering what forum members make of his bowling ?
Also , how does he compare with Adil Rashid....England's great leg spinning hope ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
From the little that I've seen (thanks so much for your excellent coverage Fox Sports 8-) ) , his bowling style is very reminiscent of that of Mushtaq Ahmed.

Heavy use of the googly (perhaps a little too much) - that's always been a delivery favoured by subcontinental wristies though rather than Aussie ones).
He flights the ball very well and I think he puts a lot of thought into his bowling.......needs a bit of work on judicious use of the weapons in his repetoire but at 18, the sky's the limit...

I haven't seen Rashid but the word from Level 2 certified Neil Pickup of Exeter is that he's better than Chawla :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will be astonished if Chawla doesn't turn-out better than Rashid TBH, based on nothing but probability derived from historical traits. English wristspinners, even those with promise (there have actually been 1 or 2 believe it or not) have tended to fail to do anything much, India have had several top-notch spinners complete the journey.

Virtually none are orthodox these days though, and Chawla's no exception - the Googly seems to be his stock-ball from what I've seen, the Leg-Break the variation.

Still hope Chawla has it in him to join the list of Guptes, Bedis, Chandras and Kumbles though. Wouldn't have him playing ODIs now, however - plain madness IMO. Playing lots of OD cricket is rarely if ever good for a young spinner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But surely not for a finger spinner, Richard old chap ?
Fingerspinners should rarely ever play ODIs, they need to be something a bit special (a la Dharmasena, Saqlain\Harbhajan or Vettori) to get good enough to do a job.

Chawla's not a fingerspinner, though, and while not yet a massive MacGill\Fleetwood-Smith\Murali-esque sidespinner of the ball, is certainly already more of a sidespinner than Kumble has typically been.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
geez ? Economics at Oxford now ???
Nah, Pickup's a teacher, not a financier.
How about you Richard ? are you studying the same ??
I've not been studying for over 3 years, neither is our esteemed ginger among us any more. He has betrayed his life's principles and taken a job in a private-school (in Oxford, as aforementioned).

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Fingerspinners should rarely ever play ODIs, they need to be something a bit special (a la Dharmasena, Saqlain\Harbhajan or Vettori) to get good enough to do a job.

Chawla's not a fingerspinner, though, and while not yet a massive MacGill\Fleetwood-Smith\Murali-esque sidespinner of the ball, is certainly already more of a sidespinner than Kumble has typically been.

So how do you rate Ramesh Powar vis a vis Harbhajan then ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Nah, Pickup's a teacher, not a financier.

I've not been studying for over 3 years, neither is our esteemed ginger among us any more. He has betrayed his life's principles and taken a job in a private-school (in Oxford, as aforementioned).

ah I see....hence the joke about Pickup playing croquet with his private school buddies then.....:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So how do you rate Ramesh Powar vis a vis Harbhajan then ?
Harbhajan > Powar, and I'll be surprised if it doesn't stay that way.

Powar's not yet been fully worked-out it seems, but I reckon he will should he keep bowling as he has to date in his career.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
So Richard, I've always wanted to know, if you don't mind me asking, if you're not studying... what are you doing?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Harbhajan > Powar, and I'll be surprised if it doesn't stay that way.

Powar's not yet been fully worked-out it seems, but I reckon he will should he keep bowling as he has to date in his career.

Be interested to hear why you think Harby's the better bowler ??

iamdavid

International Debutant
Looks a pretty clever bowler for an 18 year old, although with his very side on action and the seam position often not ideal on his legbreaks he dosent look capable of prodigious turn. Not short on confidence either.

I've always had a bit of a theory that bowlers like him (ie slower, loopier wrist spinners) are less likely to succeed bowling in India than quicker, skiddier ones.
Due to the lack of pace in the pitches the slower spinners dont tend to get the same venom and bite from the pitch as they would in places like England or Australia, the ball tends to sit up and asked to be hit alot more. Whereas tweakers who are quicker through the air compensate for the lack of pace in the pitches, and because the pitches are so dry and dusty they still manage deviation which they would not get in alot of other conditions (ie Australia, South Africa, etc).
Look at the records of slower spinners in India - Warne, Murali, Mushtaq Ahmed, Vettori - all have very unflattering numbers.
Whereas quicker spinners like Kumble, Harbhajan, Boje, Afridi all seem to have done very well in India.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, not the Harbhajan of recent times anyway.
Be interested to hear why you think Harby's the better bowler ??
Because to date for most of his career Harbhajan has done far more of note - both kept batsmen in check and dismissed them, in both forms of the game. Also, he has more in his repetoire than Powar.

Harbhajan has indeed been off-the-boil of late, but I still very much believe he has it in him to recover, it'd be foolish not to.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
From the Limited overs ive seen Rashid bowl, id say he turns his Leggy miles more and has the more potential. But like Richard said, he'll probably waste it like every English leg spinner before and i wouldnt be surprised if Chawla turns out to do better.