• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is It Aussie Kolpaks now

brockley

International Captain
Cricket: Elliott return on Glamorgan cards Aug 25 2007

by Phil Blanche, Western Mail

MATTHEW ELLIOTT looks set to rejoin Glamorgan next season as their first Kolpak signing, it emerged last night.

And, after Glamorgan slumped to an inept county championship defeat to Derbyshire by 42 runs yesterday – losing their last nine wickets for 41 – it would seem that the South Australian cannot come quickly enough.

Though Glamorgan have stringently rejected the Kolpak route, they are prepared to relent because counties are allowed only one overseas player from 2008.

And if, as expected, Australia sign a trade agreement with the European Union later this year, that will open the way for Elliott to become a Kolpak recruit.

Elliott, who turns 36 next month, played three championship games at the beginning of this season as a temporary replacement for Jimmy Maher, scoring 251 in five innings at an average of 50.20.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

The elegant left-hander would give some much-needed solidity to the top order, which could be further strengthened with the signing of opener Matthew Wood, who has been linked with the club after being released by Yorkshire.

New cricket manager Matthew Maynard, who takes up the reins on September 24, has been given a budget to recruit four players for next season: an overseas, a Kolpak and two domestic signings.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
And if, as expected, Australia sign a trade agreement with the European Union later this year.
Haha how long till we see county sides with no players that can play for England. If this happens it could be the first a many Australians moving over for a season or two until they can crack their State first XI sides i.e doing a Jaques

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus wept. :-O

I realise there are more important issues in heaven & earth than cricket, but this is awful news for the development of English players. I remember reading once that sport might conceivably be treated as a special case with regards to European employment laws, let's hope it soon is.

brockley

International Captain
Its getting more and more like english premier league everyday.
Yes i think the jaques comment is spot on young aussie cricketers will use county cricket as kolpaks as a step up to aussie domestic cricket,also the avenue will be used for aging players like andy bichel,michael kasprowicz and so on and so on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jesus wept. :-O

I realise there are more important issues in heaven & earth than cricket, but this is awful news for the development of English players. I remember reading once that sport might conceivably be treated as a special case with regards to European employment laws, let's hope it soon is.
Exactly. There are more important issues in general employment - these do not relate to sports. Sport is a form of employment which bears little resemblence to any other and should be treated as a "specific" (that was the wording in the draft constitution) case.

jammay123

State 12th Man
i feel that the government should not allow these kolpak players are ruining the game. and i feel that the chance the goverment stop this is nil so why dont the ecb put out financial penaltys for those who employ kolpaks

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Well if that happens, i think we'll probably see more Australians than South Africans come over. The ECB need to do something, but what they can do is anyones guess.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
i feel that the government should not allow these kolpak players are ruining the game. and i feel that the chance the government stop this is nil so why don't the ECB put out financial penaltys for those who employ kolpaks
The Government cant do anything, as its an EU directive. Also the ECB need to be careful, as it will be illigal for them to directly punish the employment of Kolpak players. Any form of financial penalties need to be done indirectly, such as rewarding counties for producing England players. Which is what they do atm i believe.

The only way this can really be stopped is if all the counties agree to limit the amount of Kolpak players they employ. But this agreement would be unofficial and not binding legally. It would only take one county to not agree or to break the agreement and it makes the whole process pointless.

I actually think having some Kolpak players is a great idea. One of the main problems with county cricket is that there are just too many teams, so the talent is spread too thin (this is why the Australian State system is so much better at producing players who are step up to international cricket easier than the English System does imo). Kolpak players help to increase that level of talent in the English system. The problem is when too many Kolpaks come over. So you actually bring players who aren't that much better than the players they are replacing, and also start to limit the number of English players available to be picked for England.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The reason England have more teams than Australia is because the population, and cricket-playing population, is higher, by roughly 3 times.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
i feel that the government should not allow these kolpak players are ruining the game. and i feel that the chance the goverment stop this is nil so why dont the ecb put out financial penaltys for those who employ kolpaks
Don't think the ECB can do anything. Some of the rules they did have in place were completely ignored by Yorkshire when they signed Rudolph, and I think Yorkshire basically said 'you can't do anything against us because it's illegal' and the ECB obviously couldn't as they didn't do a thing.

brockley

International Captain
Wrote an email to steve james about it at online telegraph,he said he had heard the rumours.But said a european australia trade deal has been talked about for years.
Also will depend if john howard wins the election here or not,and how kevin rudd sees a trade deal.
All i know is glamorgan are banking on matt elliot being their kolpak player,if it doesn't go through glamorgan will have to sign a saffie or a zimbabwean instead.