• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A in Pakistan

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
****ing hate it when people complain of 'state bias.' Yeah, NSW have had lots of internationals, but mostly because they deserved it. Plus, NSW does have the highest population of the states, and so has more chance of producing a decent cricketer.
I'm pretty sure N.S.W. have as many sides as the other states have in the Pura Cup. And there are a few people from their current squad that are born outside of N.S.W. Katich, MacGill, Casson, Hauritz are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Matt79

Global Moderator
State bias is my biggest pet peeve with Australian cricket fans, by a huge margin. It's so damn annoying. I suppose I'm somewhat immune as I've lived in several states and don't have any particular attachment to New South Wales (where I live and was born), but it just seems so petty and stupid, especially when the claims are generally totally baseless.
So people shouldn't care about their first class team? Or want players from their state to do well? Or by extension, ask questions when players of the calibre of Hodge firstly take forever to be selected, and then are dropped at an apparent whim despite doing very well in the team? Yeah, Fleming and Reiffel got decent goes, and Elliott never really seized his few opportunities. And Warne was a fixture, but there have been a few players who have seemed unlucky to say the least.

I don't think anyone but Shippard takes it too seriously - guys like Lewis, Harwood and White have been given opportunities.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So people shouldn't care about their first class team? Or want players from their state to do well? Or by extension, ask questions when players of the calibre of Hodge firstly take forever to be selected, and then are dropped at an apparent whim despite doing very well in the team? Yeah, Fleming and Reiffel got decent goes, and Elliott never really seized his few opportunities. And Warne was a fixture, but there have been a few players who have seemed unlucky to say the least.

I don't think anyone but Shippard takes it too seriously - guys like Lewis, Harwood and White have been given opportunities.
Lots of players are unlucky not to get picked. They aren't unlucky because they come from State X instead of State Y though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm not going to disagree with you there, because personally I think you're probably right, but the fact is, as I understand it, that's not been the perception in some quarters in Victoria - and I'm talking beyond the normal Age/Herald Sun vs. Herald/Telegraph rivalry.

I'd love to know what Jack thinks of this, if he felt able to comment.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
social said:
Bollinger is another in that category - not pretty but is nippy and swings it
Yes, on his good days. But on his ordinary days, you're better off picking a good grade bowler to play Test cricket. And they're far too often.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Victoria have a lot of "unfashionable" cricketers who play for them. Guys like Lewis, Harwood, Jewell, Hussey, Arnberger, Moss all came through the back door, rather than being anointed the whole way through their junior career like a Hussey, Clarke, Henriques. Hence, they have to do more to prove their worth.

Elliott was probably the perfect example of a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hodge is a bit the same. He was in a way fairly fortunate to get his first game, but was very very stiff to be dropped once he was in.

There's a theory that goes around in Victorian cricket - don't get hit on the pads with a WA or QLD umpire, or a Victorian one. They'll all give you out. A few people in the heirarchy at Cricket Victoria feel that the Victorian people involved in the national set-up try too hard to be unbiased, or that those who are there have a chip on their shoulder from how they finished their career.

chaminda_00 said:
The fact that a useless bowler like Harwood
Ask a state player about Harwood - no-one likes facing him. As quick a bouncer going around, and executes well at the death. And he's never actually played for Australia, except in Twenty20.

The other thing that has to be taken into account is that there will always be natural bias. If you see a lot more of a player, like you probably will if you're from the same state as them, then you will see more of what they are capable of, and have more faith in their ability to succeed at the next level. I think a lot more of that happens, rather than people trying to push through guys from their own state in a concerted effort.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member

People can care about whatever they want. Personally I see the national team as more important than any first class team, and therefore I simply want to see the best players in it, but I have personal biases towards particular cricketers (and styles of cricketer) that I like, irrespective of how effective they are, which isn't so different. What bugs me is the constant whinging and bickering over selection and other issues, as though the selectors sit around thinking "**** Queensland, I'm going to pick Steve Bracks because he's from somewhere else, even though he can't play cricket". It's just absurd, and many people in the media, on this forum, and just about everywhere else cricket is discussed in Australia take it way too far.

pasag

RTDAS
People can care about whatever they want. Personally I see the national team as more important than any first class team, and therefore I simply want to see the best players in it, but I have personal biases towards particular cricketers (and styles of cricketer) that I like, irrespective of how effective they are, which isn't so different. What bugs me is the constant whinging and bickering over selection and other issues, as though the selectors sit around thinking "**** Queensland, I'm going to pick Steve Bracks because he's from somewhere else, even though he can't play cricket". It's just absurd, and many people in the media, on this forum, and just about everywhere else cricket is discussed in Australia take it way too far.
Agree but can't recall seeing it on the forum too much if at all, in the media certainly though.