• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket for the Olympics?

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I'mm all for it, thought do you think the players would take it seriously?
Probably just another excuse to play 20/20 cricket, more money for the ICC and IOC.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I've got no problem with Twenty20 being at the Olympics, as long as it was promoted to the rest of the world as "Twenty20" and not as "cricket". ;)

Seriously though, I've always been of the opinion that the main criteria for an Olympic sport should be one for which winning an Olympic gold medal is the highest honour possible. This isn't the case for cricket (or even Twenty20, for that matter).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think its a good idea and a great way of promoting Cricket to other countries .(outside the top 20 countries I mean)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've got no problem with Twenty20 being at the Olympics, as long as it was promoted to the rest of the world as "Twenty20" and not as "cricket". ;)

Seriously though, I've always been of the opinion that the main criteria for an Olympic sport should be one for which winning an Olympic gold medal is the highest honour possible. This isn't the case for cricket (or even Twenty20, for that matter).
Absolutely on both counts.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Agree. That's why they shouldn't have footy in it either.

stumpski

International Captain
Didn't they play 50-overs matches at the Commonwealth Games a few years ago? They counted as full ODIs as well IIRC. An experiment that doesn't seem to have been repeated.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't see a downside in having a 20/20 competition in the Olympics. It would be televised to countries who normally don't get cricket, and I don't see what bad could come from that.

Craig

World Traveller
Didn't they play 50-overs matches at the Commonwealth Games a few years ago? They counted as full ODIs as well IIRC. An experiment that doesn't seem to have been repeated.
Actually I don't think they were. I spoke to a guy from KL about 4 years ago and he said since the Commonwealth Games in '98 the grounds had been bulldozed.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No thanks, just another chance for Australia to humiliate everyone else. Although the idea of thrashing America sure is tempting..........

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually I don't think they were. I spoke to a guy from KL about 4 years ago and he said since the Commonwealth Games in '98 the grounds had been bulldozed.
Nah, they weren't. An understrength South Africa beat a full-strength Australia, tho, so it was a treasured moment nonetheless. :p

James

Cricket Web Owner
As the ICC have said, Twenty20 is the future of international cricket so it's something that is going to have to accepted. A poll on Cricket Web a few months back that gained over 4,000 votes polled as follows:

What is your favourite form of the game?

Test cricket
26%
ODI cricket
39%
Twenty20 cricket
33%
Domestic cricket
2%

I'm all for it, especially as it's likely to get further countries interested in the sports, and the public interest in the concept is massive judging by things like crowd numbers

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, they weren't. An understrength South Africa beat a full-strength Australia, tho, so it was a treasured moment nonetheless. :p
Ended up not getting List A status as well, due the large amount of understrength sides.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As the ICC have said, Twenty20 is the future of international cricket so it's something that is going to have to accepted. A poll on Cricket Web a few months back that gained over 4,000 votes polled as follows:

What is your favourite form of the game?

Test cricket
26%
ODI cricket
39%
Twenty20 cricket
33%
Domestic cricket
2%

I'm all for it, especially as it's likely to get further countries interested in the sports, and the public interest in the concept is massive judging by things like crowd numbers
Yeah I think I posted something on that (was in TF IIRR as it was pretty irrelevant like) saying it was rather alarming.

TBH, though, it's well-known that Tests are the favoured form by most of those who really matter. I've barely seen so much as a single forum poster who's said something>Tests. And far more than not tend to say ODIs>T20Is too, it's mostly just English optimists that feel otherwise, something that may well change as we start to lose T20Is regularly and, possibly, the sheen gets rubbed-off at domestic level by overuse.

It'd also be interesting, if possible, to see the breakdown of the location of the votes. If not, we could just have a breakdown of location of CW visitors which would enable a rough guess.

jcoops

Cricket Spectator
There are advantages and disavantages to this idea.

The advantages
The Olympics is world-wide so it could result in more countrys getting into the game, Also having this idea could produce more talented players, and of course i love watching any old cricket.

Disadvantages
How long have u got? Most of the players that do go into the olympics will not be profesionals.As a lot of players have to work all year round, And as cricket is really only popular to about 12 countries there might actually not many countries entering the competiton.Venues.Countries that host into the olympics might not actaully like the sport so they might not have any venues.

biased indian

International Coach
There are advantages and disavantages to this idea.

The advantages
The Olympics is world-wide so it could result in more countrys getting into the game, Also having this idea could produce more talented players, and of course i love watching any old cricket.

Disadvantages
How long have u got? Most of the players that do go into the olympics will not be profesionals.As a lot of players have to work all year round, And as cricket is really only popular to about 12 countries there might actually not many countries entering the competiton.Venues.Countries that host into the olympics might not actaully like the sport so they might not have any venues.
hockey has been in olympics for ages and its still the 6-7 country who always play the medal round....

cricket is better of not in olympics.....