Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICC Awards 2007 - Ponting, Jayawardene vie for Captain of the Year

ICC Awards 2007 - Ponting, Jayawardene vie for Captain of the Year

http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc-media...ry/308703.html

ICC awards 2007 to be presented in SA on September 10th .

Ponting and Jayawardene vie for Captain of the year. See the link . Discuss.

ICC Awards 2007

Long List of Nominees - Individual Awards (each category to be reduced to a shortlist on or around 4 September)

Test Player
    Mohammad Asif (Pak), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Stuart Clark (Aus), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Zaheer Khan (Ind), Anil Kumble (Ind), Brian Lara (WI), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Makhaya Ntini (SA), Monty Panesar (Eng), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Shaun Pollock (SA), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Kumar Sangakkara (SL) Ryan Sidebottom (Eng), Shane Warne (Aus), Mohammad Yousuf (Pak).

ODI Player
    Shane Bond (NZ), Mark Boucher (SA) Nathan Bracken (Aus), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Stuart Clark (Aus), Michael Clarke (Aus), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Jacques Kallis (SA), Brett Lee (Aus), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Jacob Oram (NZ), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Shaun Pollock (SA), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Yuvraj Singh (Ind), Mohammed Yousuf (Pak).

Emerging Player
    Ravinder Bopara (Eng), Shakib Al Hasan (Bang), Mitchell Johnson (Aus), Mushfiqur Rahim (Bang), Shaun Tait (Aus), Ross Taylor (NZ), Chris Tremlett (Eng).

Cricketer of the Year
    Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Jacques Kallis (SA), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Shaun Pollock (SA), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Kumar Sangakkara (SL), Mohammed Yousuf (Pak).

Captain of the Year
    Mahela Jayawardene (SL), Ricky Ponting (Aus).

Associate ODI Player of the Year
    Ashish Bagai (Can), Andre Botha (Ire), John Davison (Can), Trent Johnston (Ire), Dwayne Leverock (Ber), Kyle McCallan (Ire), Tanmay Mishra (Ken), Eoin Morgan (Ire), Ashif Mulla (Can), Niall O'Brien (Ire), Thomas Odoyo (Ken), Peter Ongondo (Ken), Irving Romaine (Ber), Abdool Samad (Can), Ryan Ten Doeschate (Neth), Steve Tikolo (Ken), Hiren Varaiya (Ken), Ryan Watson (Sco).

Umpire of the Year
    Mark Benson, Steve Bucknor, Daryl Harper, Simon Taufel.

Women's Cricketer of the Year
    Caitriona Beggs (Ire), Holly Colvin (Eng), Rumeli Dhar (Ind), Maria Fahey (NZ), Jhulan Goswami (Ind), Ashlyn Kilowan (SA), Johmari Logtenberg (SA), Urooj Mumtaz Khan (Pak), Shelley Nitschke (Aus), Rebecca Rolls (NZ), Sajida Shah (Pak), Lisa Sthalekar (Aus), Claire Taylor (Eng).

Can someone correct the Typo in the title please.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Ross Taylor for emerging player of the year

Can't believe that they have nominated Leverock the Dancing Fat Policeman from Bermuda for associate player of the year.

To me it's either Ryan Ten Doschate or Niall O'Brien who should be getting the award.

Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    Ross Taylor for emerging player of the year
    Bopara and Mushfiqur Rahim are strong contenders, although I would still go with Taylor by a whisker over Bopara.

Mark Benson Umpire of the year for me.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Can someone correct the Typo in the title please.
    Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    What period are these supposed to cover ?

Tait quite easily the emerging player after the WC, for mine. Would probably need some exact timelines to comment on the other, closer categories.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    What period are these supposed to cover ?
    "The selectors used their knowledge, skill and judgment to assess players' performances during the voting period of 9 August 2006 - 8 August 2007."
    Time: "Despite its gentlemanly manner, the sport generates tremendous passion in Britain and its former colonies."

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Styris being left out for ODI is a bit tough had a brilliant WC. I'd also liked to see Niall get the associate award, I feel a lot of the best work in the WC and since then has been done by him, Botha too.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Test Player - Kumar Sangakkara - there haven't been many Tests this year, but Sanga has lit it up in the opportunities hes been given.

ODI Player - Shaun Pollock - most definitely the most useful ODI player this year, even though he didn't reach my lofty expectations of him for the World Cup.

Emerging Player - Shaun Tait - has the most potential by far out of the candidates on the list

Player of the Year - Ricky Ponting - so far ahead of all the other batsmen in the world its ridiculous

Best Captain - Ricky Ponting - yeah, so he leads Australia to wins. all the time

Associate - Ryan ten Doeschate - I have a feeling they'll pick someone from the Irish team though

Umpire - should be either Benson or Taufel

Don't know enough about the women's game to comment on that.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Test Player
    Most players haven't played a heap of Tests in the period so it's hard the choose here. I'll go Stuart Clark followed by Murali and Ponting. Murali has an amazing record for the timeframe, but 3 out of 5 Tests are against Bangladesh. I'd still seriously consider him being the Test player of the year as well as Sangas. Clark's so gun though, quietly outperformed both Warne and McGrath in the Ashes and should have been Man of the Series there.

ODI Player
    Hayden easily here, had a brilliant patch in the period with 5 tons, all against good sides and most importantly his performance in the WC.

Emerging Player
    Tait, 23 wickets at just over 20 at the World Cup, enough said.

Cricketer of the Year
    Ponting. Best player in the world in both forms.

Captain of the Year
    Meh.

Associate ODI Player of the Year
    RTD. Will be a big party thrown by the RTDAS when he wins this.

Nearly all Australians but they've been far and away the best and most successful side in both forms over the past year, so you'd expect that.
    Last edited by pasag; 29-08-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Think Ponting will get Captain of the year, but I think Mahela deserves it a little more.

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Think Ponting will get Captain of the year, but I think Mahela deserves it a little more.
    Wait this is the same Ponting that captained Australia to a whitewash over England to regain the Ashes and a third straight World Cup win in the same year right? If they don't give it to him this year, they might as well disqualify Australian captains from getting the award, ever.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information