• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards 2007 - Ponting, Jayawardene vie for Captain of the Year

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc-media/content/story/308703.html

ICC awards 2007 to be presented in SA on September 10th .

Ponting and Jayawardene vie for Captain of the year. See the link . Discuss.

ICC Awards 2007

Long List of Nominees - Individual Awards (each category to be reduced to a shortlist on or around 4 September)

Test Player
Mohammad Asif (Pak), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Stuart Clark (Aus), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Zaheer Khan (Ind), Anil Kumble (Ind), Brian Lara (WI), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Makhaya Ntini (SA), Monty Panesar (Eng), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Shaun Pollock (SA), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Kumar Sangakkara (SL) Ryan Sidebottom (Eng), Shane Warne (Aus), Mohammad Yousuf (Pak).

ODI Player
Shane Bond (NZ), Mark Boucher (SA) Nathan Bracken (Aus), Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Stuart Clark (Aus), Michael Clarke (Aus), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Jacques Kallis (SA), Brett Lee (Aus), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Jacob Oram (NZ), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Shaun Pollock (SA), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Yuvraj Singh (Ind), Mohammed Yousuf (Pak).

Emerging Player
Ravinder Bopara (Eng), Shakib Al Hasan (Bang), Mitchell Johnson (Aus), Mushfiqur Rahim (Bang), Shaun Tait (Aus), Ross Taylor (NZ), Chris Tremlett (Eng).

Cricketer of the Year
Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI), Matthew Hayden (Aus), Michael Hussey (Aus), Mahela Jayawardena (SL), Jacques Kallis (SA), Glenn McGrath (Aus), Muttiah Muralidaran (SL), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Shaun Pollock (SA), Ricky Ponting (Aus), Kumar Sangakkara (SL), Mohammed Yousuf (Pak).

Captain of the Year
Mahela Jayawardene (SL), Ricky Ponting (Aus).

Associate ODI Player of the Year
Ashish Bagai (Can), Andre Botha (Ire), John Davison (Can), Trent Johnston (Ire), Dwayne Leverock (Ber), Kyle McCallan (Ire), Tanmay Mishra (Ken), Eoin Morgan (Ire), Ashif Mulla (Can), Niall O'Brien (Ire), Thomas Odoyo (Ken), Peter Ongondo (Ken), Irving Romaine (Ber), Abdool Samad (Can), Ryan Ten Doeschate (Neth), Steve Tikolo (Ken), Hiren Varaiya (Ken), Ryan Watson (Sco).

Umpire of the Year
Mark Benson, Steve Bucknor, Daryl Harper, Simon Taufel.

Women's Cricketer of the Year
Caitriona Beggs (Ire), Holly Colvin (Eng), Rumeli Dhar (Ind), Maria Fahey (NZ), Jhulan Goswami (Ind), Ashlyn Kilowan (SA), Johmari Logtenberg (SA), Urooj Mumtaz Khan (Pak), Shelley Nitschke (Aus), Rebecca Rolls (NZ), Sajida Shah (Pak), Lisa Sthalekar (Aus), Claire Taylor (Eng).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe that they have nominated Leverock the Dancing Fat Policeman from Bermuda for associate player of the year.:laugh:

To me it's either Ryan Ten Doschate or Niall O'Brien who should be getting the award.

pasag

RTDAS
Tait quite easily the emerging player after the WC, for mine. Would probably need some exact timelines to comment on the other, closer categories.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Styris being left out for ODI is a bit tough had a brilliant WC. I'd also liked to see Niall get the associate award, I feel a lot of the best work in the WC and since then has been done by him, Botha too.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Test Player - Kumar Sangakkara - there haven't been many Tests this year, but Sanga has lit it up in the opportunities hes been given.

ODI Player - Shaun Pollock - most definitely the most useful ODI player this year, even though he didn't reach my lofty expectations of him for the World Cup.

Emerging Player - Shaun Tait - has the most potential by far out of the candidates on the list

Player of the Year - Ricky Ponting - so far ahead of all the other batsmen in the world its ridiculous

Best Captain - Ricky Ponting - yeah, so he leads Australia to wins. all the time

Associate - Ryan ten Doeschate - I have a feeling they'll pick someone from the Irish team though

Umpire - should be either Benson or Taufel

Don't know enough about the women's game to comment on that.

pasag

RTDAS
Test Player
Most players haven't played a heap of Tests in the period so it's hard the choose here. I'll go Stuart Clark followed by Murali and Ponting. Murali has an amazing record for the timeframe, but 3 out of 5 Tests are against Bangladesh. I'd still seriously consider him being the Test player of the year as well as Sangas. Clark's so gun though, quietly outperformed both Warne and McGrath in the Ashes and should have been Man of the Series there.

ODI Player
Hayden easily here, had a brilliant patch in the period with 5 tons, all against good sides and most importantly his performance in the WC.

Emerging Player
Tait, 23 wickets at just over 20 at the World Cup, enough said.

Cricketer of the Year
Ponting. Best player in the world in both forms.

Captain of the Year
Meh.

Associate ODI Player of the Year
RTD. Will be a big party thrown by the RTDAS when he wins this.

Nearly all Australians but they've been far and away the best and most successful side in both forms over the past year, so you'd expect that.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Think Ponting will get Captain of the year, but I think Mahela deserves it a little more.
Wait this is the same Ponting that captained Australia to a whitewash over England to regain the Ashes and a third straight World Cup win in the same year right? If they don't give it to him this year, they might as well disqualify Australian captains from getting the award, ever.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
- ODI Player could be Hayden
- Cricketer of the Year could be Ponting. Why not Chanderpaul though ?
- Captain of the Year could be Mahela. Ponting suffers from the burden of having the world's best team :sleep:
- Test player of the Year is the toughest one of the major awards.
- Umpire of the Year : NONE
- Emerging Player of the year : Was there any really deserving candidate ? Okay Tait.:sleep:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wait this is the same Ponting that captained Australia to a whitewash over England to regain the Ashes and a third straight World Cup win in the same year right? If they don't give it to him this year, they might as well disqualify Australian captains from getting the award, ever.
It's not a team of the year award.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Test Player of the Year

Murali should get it, but they won't give it to him...so it will probably be Warne again or Ponting.

ODI Player of the Year

Hayden or Ponting

Cricketer of the Year

again Murali or Ponting -suspect Ponting will get the Nod

Captain of the Year

Mahela (likely to get it as compensation for Murali being spurned again)

Emerging Player of the Year

Ross Taylor

Associate Player of the Year

Niall O'Brien

Umpire of the Year

Mark Benson

Womens Player of the Year

Rebecca Rolls (NZ) or Claire Taylor (England)

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Why wouldn't they give it to Murali? If not the overall cricketer of the year, I think he deserves Test player of the year at least. I don't think the ICC would deliberately snub Murali from an award he deserved, though perhaps I'm being hopelessly naive...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Why wouldn't they give it to Murali? If not the overall cricketer of the year, I think he deserves Test player of the year at least. I don't think the ICC would deliberately snub Murali from an award he deserved, though perhaps I'm being hopelessly naive...
Going by past events and awards of this nature...