• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards 2007 - Ponting, Jayawardene vie for Captain of the Year

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why sorry?
RTD had a much better World Cup, he is by far the better player, managed to score a century, played two less games and only scored 14 less runs. He also performed and score runs against a Test class opponent (South Africa)

pasag

RTDAS
Short list, my selections in bold.

Emerging Player of the Year nominees:
Ravi Bopara (Eng)
Saqibul Hasan (Ban)
Shaun Tait (Aus)
Ross Taylor (NZ)

ODI Player of the Year nominees:
Matthew Hayden (Aus)
Jacques Kallis (SA)
Glenn McGrath (Aus)
Ricky Ponting (Aus)

Test Player of the Year nominees:
Muttiah Muralitharan (SL)
Kevin Pietersen (Eng)
Ricky Ponting (Aus)
Mohammad Yousuf (Pkn)

Cricketer of the Year nominees:
Shivnarine Chanderpaul (WI)
Kevin Pietersen (Eng)
Ricky Ponting (Aus)
Mohammad Yousuf (Pkn)

Associate ODI Player of the Year nominees:
Ashish Bagai (Can)
Ryan ten Doeschate (Ned)
Thomas Odoyo (Ken)
Steve Tikolo (Ken)

Women's Cricketer of the Year nominees:
Jhulan Goswami (Ind)
Lisa Sthalekar (Aus)
Claire Taylor (Eng)

Umpire of the Year nominees:
Mark Benson
Steve Bucknor
Simon Taufel

Captain of the Year nominees:
Mahela Jayawardena (SL)
Ricky Ponting(Aus)

Teams nominated for Spirit of Cricket Award:
Australia
Ireland
New Zealand - not after the Murali run out.
Sri Lanka - I didn't think the whole resting Murali and Vaas thing was in the spirit as has been discussed to no end, but the way Jayawardene handled the WC final debacle more than cancels that out. Still, Ireland will get it obv.
Got 5/7 including all the major ones correct.

R_D

International Debutant
Exactly, or even Ponting as Player of the Year, not exactly sure what the criteria is for that award though.
I'm assuming its overall performance in both test and ODI's. That was my thinking behind picking Ponting for cricketer of the year.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm assuming its overall performance in both test and ODI's. That was my thinking behind picking Ponting for cricketer of the year.
Yeah, that's right - Punter wasn't quite the top Test player or the top ODI player, but put the two together and he was the outstanding player overall.

Like most, I thought RTD would get emerging player of the year but aside from that it's hard to argue with any of those awards. Yes Australia were heavily "recognised" but in a year where they've won the Champions Trophy, romped to a 5-0 Ashes whitewash and then produced arguably the most dominant start-to-finish World Cup ever, I daresay they earned it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yes Australia were heavily "recognised" but in a year where they've won the Champions Trophy, romped to a 5-0 Ashes whitewash and then produced arguably the most dominant start-to-finish World Cup ever, I daresay they earned it.
Exactly. Pretty far-fetched to complain about bias here. Australia won a lot of awards because they've been easily the best team in world cricket for the last year. There's not one of the awards given which wasn't deserved.

sideshowtim

Banned
Exactly. Pretty far-fetched to complain about bias here. Australia won a lot of awards because they've been easily the best team in world cricket for the last year. There's not one of the awards given which wasn't deserved.
Shhh, you're making too much sense.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think all the blokes on that list fully deserve the awards (except Odoyo, i think RTD should have won in that category hands down),
I disagree considering the year Odoyo has had for the Kenya team opening the bowling and as a middle order batsman esp in th WCL(remember the ireland match where his innings almost singlehandedly dragged Kenya from the brink of defeat to an unlikely victory) and in the Recent 'A' Team tours where he was probably the only player to come away without egg on his face and that he recently became the only associate player to do the ODI 1000 run 100 wkt double then he definetely deserved it
http://content-www.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/310113.html

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Ponting - Test Player, Ponting - Captain , Ponting Cricketer of the Year.
Tait Emerging Player of the year, Hayden ODI player of the Year, Taufel Umpire of the Year..... That should explain a lot more.....
Not sure what you're on about mate, this year's awards have been the most fair as far as I can see. Only debatable ones are Tait, Odoyo and Yousuf.

howardj

International Coach
Ponting's grown on me over the last 12 months or so. Granted, from afar, he's probably not the warmest guy in the world. However, I just admire him for what he is - a ferocious competitor, who has done his best to add a bit of polish to himself since he became a senior member of the side.

pasag

RTDAS
Ponting's grown on me over the last 12 months or so. Granted, from afar, he's probably not the warmest guy in the world. However, I just admire him for what he is - a ferocious competitor, who has done his best to add a bit of polish to himself since he became a senior member of the side.
Yeah, love him.

sideshowtim

Banned
He's certainly matured a lot, especially since his younger days, indeed it's remarkable that he's come from a hot-headed kid with a drinking problem to the "World's Best Player"...Speaks volumes for him I think. He always had the potential, it's rare that one fulfills it to the extent we've seen him do though. He is maturing all the time, his on field behaviour is continually improving, as his his batting.

We're very lucky to have Punter, I think a lot of Aussie fans take him for granted.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Like most, I thought RTD would get emerging player of the year but aside from that it's hard to argue with any of those awards. Yes Australia were heavily "recognised" but in a year where they've won the Champions Trophy, romped to a 5-0 Ashes whitewash and then produced arguably the most dominant start-to-finish World Cup ever, I daresay they earned it.
All that needs to be said really.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really a big Ponting fan TBH, I don't mind watching him bat and I give him a lot of respect for the change he has undergone since his younger days and the traditional Australian attitude that he posesses. Just something about him though that I don't really like, probably the whinging, and as such I find it quite funny when he comes out with egg on his face. Respect and admire the player immensely though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Not really a big Ponting fan TBH, I don't mind watching him bat and I give him a lot of respect for the change he has undergone since his younger days and the traditional Australian attitude that he posesses. Just something about him though that I don't really like, probably the whinging, and as such I find it quite funny when he comes out with egg on his face. Respect and admire the player immensely though.
Very much like my views too.

I love his batting. He is a delight to watch as well as a fantastic rungetter. What more can one ask and yet he gives more. He is also one of the finest outfielders in the world.

Yet, as a person, he puts me off again and again.