• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards 2007 - Ponting, Jayawardene vie for Captain of the Year

sideshowtim

Banned
Emerging Player of the Year won by Tait
Associate Player of the Year won by Thomas Odoyo
Women Cricketer of the Year won by Jhulan Goswami
Umpire of the Year won by Simon Taufel

ODI team of the year:

Matthew Hayden
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Kevin Pietersen
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Jacques Kallis
Mark Boucher (WK)
Chaminda Vaas
Shane Bond
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Test team:

Matthew Hayden
Michael Vaughan
Mohammad Yousuf
Kevin Pietersen
Michael Hussey
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Stuart Clark
Muttiah Muralitharan
Makhaya Ntini
Mohammad Asif
12th man: Zaheer Khan

I assume Ponting and Jayawardene got the last spot....they're just wating for the Captain of the year to announce it

Spirit of cricket won by Sri Lanka

jammay123

State 12th Man
when does odi and test player awards come out and how in gods name is ponting not in the test team much better than vaughn

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, I think this explains a lot. :ph34r:
Ponting - Test Player, Ponting - Captain , Ponting Cricketer of the Year.
Tait Emerging Player of the year, Hayden ODI player of the Year, Taufel Umpire of the Year..... That should explain a lot more.....

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Associate Player of the Year won by Thomas Odoyo
Women Cricketer of the Year won by Jhulan Goswami
Disappointing. I thought ten Doeschate would be the associate player of the year (has the fact he's a Saffer counted against him?) and my missus wasn't even nominated in the Women Cricketer of the Year. I'll have to let her down gently. Tact will be required.... I don't have much tact.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Tait Emerging Player of the year, Hayden ODI player of the Year, Taufel Umpire of the Year..... That should explain a lot more.....
Oh, so there is bias? That is what you seem to be implying. Name a player that you think should of got one of these awards instead the one that got it. I'd bet the Aussie would have a stronger claim to it.

Perm

Geez you're hopeless Jason. Taufel is the best umpire in the world, Hayden had the best run in ODI's, Tait had a very good World Cup, Ponting didn't even win Test player but his exploits as Test captain have been very notable (Champions Trophy, Ashes, World Cup). Get over yourself man, Australia are dominating so it's more likely their players will get recognised.

Perm

Disappointing. I thought ten Doeschate would be the associate player of the year (has the fact he's a Saffer counted against him?) and my missus wasn't even nominated in the Women Cricketer of the Year. I'll have to let her down gently. Tact will be required.... I don't have much tact.
Yeah, what the hell? RTD should've been a certainty.

HeathDavisSpeed

Geez you're hopeless Jason. Taufel is the best umpire in the world, Hayden had the best run in ODI's, Tait had a very good World Cup, Ponting didn't even win Test player but his exploits as Test captain have been very notable (Champions Trophy, Ashes, World Cup). Get over yourself man, Australia are dominating so it's more likely their players will get recognised.
Yeah. I'd say the only one of those open for debate would be Tait as emerging player. The others were pretty much dead certs.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Yeah, what the hell? RTD should've been a certainty.
Statistically, not much between them for the period under consideration.
Ten Doeschate had the best batting average of all the Associate players nominated (52.67 compared to Odoyo, who was second with 48.56).

Odoyo the best bowling average with 26 wickets at 20.88, Ten Doeschate was 4th with 22 wickets at 24.14.

The main difference is that Odoyo's efforts contributed to more wins than Ten Doeschate.

A good decision I think, though I'm surprised no Irishmen made the final shortlist.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Statistically, not much between them for the period under consideration.
Ten Doeschate had the best batting average of all the Associate players nominated (52.67 compared to Odoyo, who was second with 48.56).

Odoyo the best bowling average with 26 wickets at 20.88, Ten Doeschate was 4th with 22 wickets at 24.14.

The main difference is that Odoyo's efforts contributed to more wins than Ten Doeschate.

A good decision I think, though I'm surprised no Irishmen made the final shortlist.
Top post. :) Are your stats solely for ODIs?

pup11

International Coach
And the winners are..
ICC PLAYER OF THE YEAR- R.Ponting
TEST PLAYER- M.Yousuf
ODI PLAYER- M.Hayden
CAPTAIN OF THE YEAR- R.Ponting
EMERGING PLAYER- S.Tait
UMPIRE OF THE YEAR- S.Taufel
ASSOCIATE PLAYER- T.Odoyo
I think all the blokes on that list fully deserve the awards (except Odoyo, i think RTD should have won in that category hands down), i can't understand why there is so much fuss about Tait winning the emerging player award his closest rival was Taylor but he had a horrible World cup which pretty much ruled him out and on the other hand Tait took 23 World cup wickets which is really a big deal especially for a man playing his first World cup.

Johnners

Cry me a river
8-) 8-) 8-)

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Pretty good selections but as a Lankan i want to grumble Why murali missed out on test player,

Anyway also biased but i would have thought Charmara Silva was a pretty good emerging player more than say Bopara or Saqib

Perm

Yeah. I'd say the only one of those open for debate would be Tait as emerging player. The others were pretty much dead certs.
Exactly, or even Ponting as Player of the Year, not exactly sure what the criteria is for that award though.