• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards 2007 - Ponting, Jayawardene vie for Captain of the Year

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricketer of the Year

Mohammed Yousuf

Test Player of the Year

Mohammed Yousuf

ODI Player of the Year

Mathew Hayden

Captain of the Year

Mahela Jayawardene

Emerging Player

Bopara

Associate Player of the Year

Steve Tikolo

Umpire of the Year

Mark Benson

Spirit of Cricket

Sri Lanka and Ireland .

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Cricketer of the Year

Mohammed Yousuf

Test Player of the Year

Mohammed Yousuf

ODI Player of the Year

Mathew Hayden

Captain of the Year

Mahela Jayawardene

Emerging Player

Bopara

Associate Player of the Year

Steve Tikolo

Umpire of the Year

Mark Benson

Spirit of Cricket

Sri Lanka and Ireland .
as above.... swap Ponting for Cricketer of the year and Tait for Emerging player.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yousuf really broke Vivs record of runs in a calendar year and thoroughly deserving, but one suspects Ponting will get it regardless...
Bitter much? I agree that Yousuf was the test player, and he's a big chance to get it. Ponting was awesome as well, although not quite as good as Yousuf in that period, but the snide remarks are a bit pathetic really.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Bitter much? I agree that Yousuf was the test player, and he's a big chance to get it. Ponting was awesome as well, although not quite as good as Yousuf in that period, but the snide remarks are a bit pathetic really.
Why... Its generally well known (among non Australian Neutrals) that Australians are over recognised in any thing they do when it comes to ICC recognition ....I am not sure if Speed being ICC CEO has anything to do with it....

Perm

Why... Its generally well known (among non Australian Neutrals) that Australians are over recognised in any thing they do when it comes to ICC recognition ....I am not sure if Speed being ICC CEO has anything to do with it....
8-)

Johnners

8-) 8-) 8-) Of course the fact the Australia players receive so many awards has nothing to do with the fact that Australia has been far and away the dominant team during the time Speed has been CEO. But i guess that would make sense...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Couldn't believe Murali missed out on an overall cricketer of the year nomination until I saw that he'd only played 11 international matches (4 Tests, 7 ODIs) in the period under review. That must have counted against him - but his performances in those 11 matches were still staggeringly good.

I think Ponting's performances in both forms of the game might just give him the edge of Yousuf in the end for the overall award. Reckon MoYo deserves Test player of the year though.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Can't believe Big Shiv's not been nominated for Test player.

Okay, so he didn't do brilliantly against Pakistan...but his series in England was outstanding.

pup11

International Coach
Speed has got nothing to do with all these Australian players being nominated, there is a panel made up of stalwarts of the game headed by Gavaskar who definitly isn't the biggest Aussie fan on earth, but how can anyone question the performances of the likes of Ponting,Hayden for that matter the whole Australian team, they have just been head and shoulders above everyone else.

sideshowtim

Banned
Hahahaha.

If Ponting doesn't win captain of the year this time around it'll be ludicrous. He's been the captain of the second only whitewash in Ashes history....something that guys like Steve Waugh, with far superior sides under them, against weaker opposition...have failed to do. And to cap that off, he's just captained the #2 side in the world, coming off a 5 match losing streak to an undefeated World Cup. Surely that's gotta count for something.

haroon510

International 12th Man
shouldn't asif be in the list of emerging players?

Murali >>> test
KP/ mathew hayden >> odi

Test cricket
yousuf/ chanderpaul

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
When have the ICC awards over-recognised Australians?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, I think this explains a lot. :ph34r:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yousuf really broke Vivs record of runs in a calendar year and thoroughly deserving, but one suspects Ponting will get it regardless...
Most of those runs for Yousuf though, aren't in the period in question though. In that period they are fairly even. Sangakkara actually has a much better average in both for this period, although it covers less than 10 Tests for all three players. :mellow:

shortpitched713

International Captain
shouldn't asif be in the list of emerging players?
Didn't he win this award last year? I'm not sure if he did, but I'm pretty darn sure he was in the shortlist. Would think it would be hard to "emerge" as a cricketer twice, but such things are never particularly well defined.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Test player: Ponting
ODI: Ponting or Murali
Emerging player (from where are they emerging, btw?): Ross Taylor
Cricketer of the year: Ponting
Captain: Ponting or Jaya woiuld be fine by me - go with Ponting
Associate player: RTD
Umpire: Taufel
Women's criciketer: Colvin or Taylor

Last edited: