• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Cricket and its future?

PY

International Coach
Just wondered whether people who know more about cricket than me and the way its run around the world, how does everyone think England can improve its prospects(compared to the Aussies)? i know that we performed alright in that last test and we are one of the top test sides but if we're all honest about it we were not good in those first four games. Is it to do with management or the way that our domestic game is organised?what do you think can be done about it?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Tricky question! Ill have a go at it though..

English cricket is by no means in a weak position. The pilgramage to Australia nearly always ends in defeat, followed by huge amounts of doomsaying. But English cricket is not dead, by no means.

Popularity in England from what I have seen looks to be on the increase. Hussain and Fletcher have been good role models.

The Poms have shown they can win on the subcontinent against Pak and SL. They always compete at home (Except Australia). They will always beat mediocre sides like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Overall they are quite a long way up the chasing pack that are chasing Australia who set the bar in professional cricket. English cricket needs to unearth a star. A decent spinner, and a world class pace bowler could see them beat the Aussies.

County Cricket is mediocre, and gimmicks like the 20-20 cup will not solve anything. What is needed is fewer matches, that are more important. 2 Divisions is a good step forward anyway.

I went to a Leg Spin coaching session at Lords last year, nearly all the spinners were Asian! English cricket needs to look into the Asian areas of the community, because there is certainly some talent around there especially.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
English cricket needs to look into the asian areas of the community, because there is certainly some talent around there especially.
Very good point. If England want a world class spinner who can take on Australia then the Asian community is more than likely where they'll have to look.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are several major problems with English cricket:

1) Too many matches played. The average CC cricketer plays over double the amount of cricket an average Pura Cup cricketer in Australia will play, hence there are quite a few wear-and-tear injuries after a period of time. Darren Gough is a case-in-point. I mean, 15 matches in a CC season is bad enough but then three one-day competitions??

2) Standard of pitches. Currently, especially with the Dukes brand balls they use, it's far too easy to swing the ball so players don't develop the ability to bowl well if the ball ISN'T swinging. Mathew Hoggard in the Test series is a case-in-point. After that initial spell in Brisbane where the ball was moving in the air, he wasn't getting much swing at all and without that swing, he's much less effective.

3) Players more willing to play for their county than their country. If you want the country to do well, it MUST take priority over the county interests almost every time. It's a problem in the soccer team too. Give the players a few games to get some form and that's it.

4) More central contracts. The Aussie system contracts 25 players every year, whereas England has 11 contracted players. Give more players central contracts to put that countys on notice that those players can be yanked out to play for England at any point and to give the players selected who aren't in the playing XI the incentive to perform, knowing that they're only one or two decent performances away from a spot in the Test or one-day side.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i think the acadamy system must be centralised over there f it is not already.

counties should be able to have 3 or 4 international players and 2 or 3 players under 23 to increase the level of competition and give younger guys a go against the better players.

maybe a salary cap to attempt to make theteams mroe even

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
We need to get the A-Team going again or get an Academy side to play touring teams, show the players in those teams that they are being thought of in the Test and ODI teams, dumping the A team wasn't a great idea. Look at what Australia just did...picking Lehmann in the A team to show that he was ready to play again, that would never be done in England...and it should...

chris.hinton

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Tricky question! Ill have a go at it though..

English cricket is by no means in a weak position. The pilgramage to Australia nearly always ends in defeat, followed by huge amounts of doomsaying. But English cricket is not dead, by no means.

Popularity in England from what I have seen looks to be on the increase. Hussain and Fletcher have been good role models.

The Poms have shown they can win on the subcontinent against Pak and SL. They always compete at home (Except Australia). They will always beat mediocre sides like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.

Overall they are quite a long way up the chasing pack that are chasing Australia who set the bar in professional cricket. English cricket needs to unearth a star. A decent spinner, and a world class pace bowler could see them beat the Aussies.

County Cricket is mediocre, and gimmicks like the 20-20 cup will not solve anything. What is needed is fewer matches, that are more important. 2 Divisions is a good step forward anyway.

I went to a Leg Spin coaching session at Lords last year, nearly all the spinners were Asian! English cricket needs to look into the Asian areas of the community, because there is certainly some talent around there especially.

There are only 2 asian Spinners who are any good at the moment. Asians are talented players but 95% lack the mental strangth required for test level look at Afzaal and Habib

chris.hinton

International Captain
Anna said:
Very good point. If England want a world class spinner who can take on Australia then the Asian community is more than likely where they'll have to look.
Rubbish! They may be a Good Asian Spinner but you dont look there for the sake of it...

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Well Chris, they have to look somewhere. Although these coaching sessions Langeveldt talked about will hopefully produce some excellent spinners within the near future.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt, you need to have read Chris' last X posts on how one 17 year old leggie will solve England's problems overnight... ;)

Asians are talented players but 95% lack the mental strangth required for test level look at Afzaal and Habib
Er... stupid statement alert :)

And 95% of non-Asians don't?

Apology time I reckon here.

PY

International Coach
not wanting a row over a race or things like that because this is about sport but how many of those Asian cricketers look upto people in the English side and view them as role models? i doubt that many of them do. they'll view their idols as Anil Kumble,Saqlain Mushtaq and Inzamam all-runout and the suchlike....! i know a couple of Asian lads and they have no interest at all in playing for England!maybe we should just try to look at all the people that have the potential at under 18 and under 21 level and never seem to be able to fulfil their potential at full international level. because that seems to be the problem.does no-one believe that we should maybe have only one division and concentrate our quality so they are always challenged playing against decent players. and maybe having a proper academy/under 23 league where people of that age get regular appearances against people of similar ability? dont no whether such thing exists?

Bazza

International 12th Man
The only suggestion I really agree with so far is the idea of having an A side. This is priceless for giving potential England players of the future experience of overseas conditions for example.

I think young players should go to the academy for say 2-3 winters, then from there they could spend a couple of winters touring in the A team, and look to press for a regular place in the full side by say 25 (assuming they haven't already been fast-tracked due to outstanding potential or injuries or whatever).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
There are only 2 asian Spinners who are any good at the moment. Asians are talented players but 95% lack the mental strangth required for test level look at Afzaal and Habib
Bit of a sweeping statement there Chris - have a look at the current England captain...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Afzaal has hardly been tried enough to make such a statement.
Actually I thought it was more Technique than Temprement with Afzaal, and batting against the Australians and then in New Zealand are big tests of technique...