Thread: New signings

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar

New signings

What do people think of the three new signings McLean, Bryant and Laraman? Hopefully, if all goes well, there will be fierce competition for places and Somerset will be promoted (fingers crossed)!!!!
    I hope Bully'll get a regular place in the team after his performance with the ball last season (58 wkts, more than any other Sabre), although he'll have to play well with competition from Johnno, Steffan, Frankie, McLean, Laraman and Caddick (if ha doesn't keep his form going for England). That's seven players fighting for four places..................now that will be interesting!! :wow:

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

Pinball Champion!
    Well Nixon Maclean played for the Natal dolphins in South Africa with quite a bit of success. Bryant is from Northerns i think..
    These are both quality players, im not sure about Laraman though. I think he might be a "Cant bat cant bowl" allrounder from what I have heard. , but I havent seen him yet.

The only problem with guys coming from SA on EU passports (Koenig, Pietersen, Smith, Bryant) is it is making the game over there weaker, I hate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    The only problem with guys coming from SA on EU passports (Koenig, Pietersen, Smith, Bryant) is it is making the game over there weaker, I hate it!
    Not after they qualify to play for England it doesn't

If we can keep it together this season then we really ought to go straight back up.

A big question for 2002 though, is what will the wicket be like?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Lol neil 2 mistakes there!

I think you misquoted me. I was annoyed that the game in SA is getting weaker because of the SA/EU rule.

And the big question for 2003 is the pitch!

I didnt realize the groundsman was gone, what a blow, best wicket in the country. Maybe a slightly less friendly pitch will help guys like McLean and Johnson. Or maybe it will stay the same, Hopefully it will!

Cricket Web Staff Member

Somerset 2003

In answer to Anna's Q's about our signings, I really rate Bryant from what I have heard and he has just topped an average of 40 for Eastern Province. McLean will definitely strengthen the bowling and get wickets though it will be a whole different ball-game bowling at Taunton to in SA on hard wickets. Laraman is a gamble but judging by how totally gutted Essex were at his release, he is well thought of. He hasn't been given the chance yet so who knows but certainly one with potential.

I expect Bulbeck to be the deserved back-up to Johnson and McLean with Laraman, Francis and Jones tucking somewhere in behind. I would love to see Cad**** play more for Somerset but it depends how much of a witch hunt goes on after the Ashes tour. I expect him to play a few more games for Somerset at the very least as long as England don't wrap him in cotton wool.

As for the Taunton pitch in 2003, its anyones guess. Phil Frost has declared he won't be the groundsman in 2003 but hasn't left formally and Somerset haven't announced any replacement so all a bit odd.

Keep an eye on www.somersettalk.co.uk as I keep Somerset fans updated with all that goes on around the world concerning Somerset players in SA, Australia etc.

Haha, Somerset are slowly building a bowling attack consisting of Hampshire rejects. First Simon Francis, now Nixon McLean.

Good luck (you're gonna need it!)!! :P
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Cricket Web Staff Member

Hampshire Rejects

Given that Francis was never meant to play much 1stXi cricket in 2002 and ended up playing most of the season, I think he did well. Had a nightmare while he found his feet but got wickets and matured quickly. As for McLean, its all about getting players in their prime. McLean is reaching his now and not when Hampshire signed him though he still did well for them. Just pray he doesn't make the Test team in the summer now...........

www.somersettalk.co.uk

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    I think Francis did pretty well considering the circumstances- at one point, Somerset only had around 4 front-line bowlers who weren't injured.
    His crowning moment of the season was definately that run-out of James Golding in the C&G semi-final.

By the way, anyone know why C.a.d.d.i.c.k is *******? Or is it just one of the staff having a laugh?!?!?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rik
    Originally posted by Anna
    I think Francis did pretty well considering the circumstances- at one point, Somerset only had around 4 front-line bowlers who weren't injured.
    His crowning moment of the season was definately that run-out of James Golding in the C&G semi-final.

By the way, anyone know why C.a.d.d.i.c.k is *******? Or is it just one of the staff having a laugh?!?!?! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    It's because we can't write d i c k
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Lol neil 2 mistakes there!

I think you misquoted me. I was annoyed that the game in SA is getting weaker because of the SA/EU rule.
    You were South African a bit ago.. I thought... :P

lol good point neil.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Pinball Champion!
    No I live in SA but Im a student in England at the moment, just got back to England after Christmas

That would explain it then

Thread Information