• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New signings

Anna

International Vice-Captain
What do people think of the three new signings McLean, Bryant and Laraman? Hopefully, if all goes well, there will be fierce competition for places and Somerset will be promoted (fingers crossed)!!!!
I hope Bully'll get a regular place in the team after his performance with the ball last season (58 wkts, more than any other Sabre), although he'll have to play well with competition from Johnno, Steffan, Frankie, McLean, Laraman and Caddick (if ha doesn't keep his form going for England). That's seven players fighting for four places..................now that will be interesting!! :wow:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well Nixon Maclean played for the Natal dolphins in South Africa with quite a bit of success. Bryant is from Northerns i think..
These are both quality players, im not sure about Laraman though. I think he might be a "Cant bat cant bowl" allrounder from what I have heard. , but I havent seen him yet.

The only problem with guys coming from SA on EU passports (Koenig, Pietersen, Smith, Bryant) is it is making the game over there weaker, I hate it! :(

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
The only problem with guys coming from SA on EU passports (Koenig, Pietersen, Smith, Bryant) is it is making the game over there weaker, I hate it! :(
Not after they qualify to play for England it doesn't :)

If we can keep it together this season then we really ought to go straight back up.

A big question for 2002 though, is what will the wicket be like?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Lol neil 2 mistakes there!

I think you misquoted me. I was annoyed that the game in SA is getting weaker because of the SA/EU rule.

And the big question for 2003 is the pitch!

I didnt realize the groundsman was gone, what a blow, best wicket in the country. Maybe a slightly less friendly pitch will help guys like McLean and Johnson. Or maybe it will stay the same, Hopefully it will!

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Somerset 2003

In answer to Anna's Q's about our signings, I really rate Bryant from what I have heard and he has just topped an average of 40 for Eastern Province. McLean will definitely strengthen the bowling and get wickets though it will be a whole different ball-game bowling at Taunton to in SA on hard wickets. Laraman is a gamble but judging by how totally gutted Essex were at his release, he is well thought of. He hasn't been given the chance yet so who knows but certainly one with potential.

I expect Bulbeck to be the deserved back-up to Johnson and McLean with Laraman, Francis and Jones tucking somewhere in behind. I would love to see Cad**** play more for Somerset but it depends how much of a witch hunt goes on after the Ashes tour. I expect him to play a few more games for Somerset at the very least as long as England don't wrap him in cotton wool.

As for the Taunton pitch in 2003, its anyones guess. Phil Frost has declared he won't be the groundsman in 2003 but hasn't left formally and Somerset haven't announced any replacement so all a bit odd.

Keep an eye on www.somersettalk.co.uk as I keep Somerset fans updated with all that goes on around the world concerning Somerset players in SA, Australia etc.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Haha, Somerset are slowly building a bowling attack consisting of Hampshire rejects. First Simon Francis, now Nixon McLean.

Good luck (you're gonna need it!)!! :P

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hampshire Rejects

Given that Francis was never meant to play much 1stXi cricket in 2002 and ended up playing most of the season, I think he did well. Had a nightmare while he found his feet but got wickets and matured quickly. As for McLean, its all about getting players in their prime. McLean is reaching his now and not when Hampshire signed him though he still did well for them. Just pray he doesn't make the Test team in the summer now...........

www.somersettalk.co.uk

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I think Francis did pretty well considering the circumstances- at one point, Somerset only had around 4 front-line bowlers who weren't injured.
His crowning moment of the season was definately that run-out of James Golding in the C&G semi-final.

By the way, anyone know why C.a.d.d.i.c.k is *******? Or is it just one of the staff having a laugh?!?!?! :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Anna said:
I think Francis did pretty well considering the circumstances- at one point, Somerset only had around 4 front-line bowlers who weren't injured.
His crowning moment of the season was definately that run-out of James Golding in the C&G semi-final.

By the way, anyone know why C.a.d.d.i.c.k is *******? Or is it just one of the staff having a laugh?!?!?! :rolleyes: :lol: :rolleyes: :lol:
It's because we can't write d i c k :lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Lol neil 2 mistakes there!

I think you misquoted me. I was annoyed that the game in SA is getting weaker because of the SA/EU rule.
You were South African a bit ago.. I thought... :P