• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Room For Symonds in Aus test side?

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always been pretty critical of Symonds as a test player. He definitely shouldn't have been picked over Katich in Sri Lanka but I think he's needed now. I'll back him to have a good series and become a permanent member of the test team.

As Kyle said, he's done it all for Queensland and he's shown glimpses against South Africa and England.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will you eat your computer if Symonds becomes a success at test level?

Because, I've seen him play some wonderful first class innings for Qld in difficult conditions. All he needs is the belief which he now should have after his maiden century.

I'll eat my computer if he isn't.
No, that's not my style. It's all well and good punishing domestic bowlers, but he's facing international quality bowlers now. They'll be able to work him over continously, he doesn't have the technique or temperament to suceed. His maiden Test century eh. How many times was he dropped? About 3 IIRC, that's hardly likely to inspire a great deal of confidence in himself.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed. Quite stupid really. How anybody can claim Symonds>Hodge is beyong me.
I genuinely think Hodge is a better batsman but I doubt he'll be selected over Symonds. Roy was picked ahead of him against England and other than a couple of innings' Hodge hasn't done too much since. The selectors picked Symonds because he could get through a lot of overs as well. Without McGrath and Warne that's even more of a reason to select him.

If he plays at The Gabba he'll do well and won't be dropped immediately after. I'm going to back him to have a decent test career from here on regardless of whether Hodge is a better batsman.

pasag

RTDAS
I genuinely think Hodge is a better batsman but I doubt he'll be selected over Symonds. Roy was picked ahead of him against England and other than a couple of innings' Hodge hasn't done too much since. The selectors picked Symonds because he could get through a lot of overs as well. Without McGrath and Warne that's even more of a reason to select him.

If he plays at The Gabba he'll do well and won't be dropped immediately after. I'm going to back him to have a decent test career from here on regardless of whether Hodge is a better batsman.
Yeah, I really hope Symonds has a good Test career, I don't think there is anything cricket related that would make me happier.

Perm

I doubt he'll be selected over Symonds either, which is a shame as I think he's much more likely to have a successful career in Test cricket. I just don't understand the Australian selectors thinking, I could understand if they wanted to have Watson in the side as an all-rounder, but Symonds barely qualifies. His batting technique and temperament isn't good enough and his bowling is largely rubbish.

How can you say he'll definitely do well if selected to play the 1st Test against Sri Lanka? To date he has shown very little to suggest he's good enough to handle it at the highest level. You can point to his maiden century, but he still had to be dropped three times against a demoralised bowling attack before he could score those runs.

pasag

RTDAS
Even though he would be keeping better players out of the side?
Missed the point, I hope he has a good Test career in that he makes plenty of runs to deserve his place and becomes highly regarded in the format on an international scale.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I doubt he'll be selected over Symonds either, which is a shame as I think he's much more likely to have a successful career in Test cricket. I just don't understand the Australian selectors thinking, I could understand if they wanted to have Watson in the side as an all-rounder, but Symonds barely qualifies. His batting technique and temperament isn't good enough and his bowling is largely rubbish.

How can you say he'll definitely do well if selected to play the 1st Test against Sri Lanka? To date he has shown very little to suggest he's good enough to handle it at the highest level. You can point to his maiden century, but he still had to be dropped three times against a demoralised bowling attack before he could score those runs.
Dwta. It could well be bias but I think he's a good enough batsman. He's beginning to understand his own game which is the most important characteristic of a successful batsman for mine.

Mister Wright

No, that's not my style. It's all well and good punishing domestic bowlers, but he's facing international quality bowlers now. They'll be able to work him over continously, he doesn't have the technique or temperament to suceed. His maiden Test century eh. How many times was he dropped? About 3 IIRC, that's hardly likely to inspire a great deal of confidence in himself.
Don't know. I was on a plane to England at the time, so didn't see the innings.

Perm

Missed the point, I hope he has a good Test career in that he makes plenty of runs to deserve his place and becomes highly regarded in the format on an international scale.
Fair enough. I can't see it happening, and I hope Symonds fails so we can see more of Hodge and Watson at Test level.

Perm

Dwta. It could well be bias but I think he's a good enough batsman. He's beginning to understand his own game which is the most important characteristic of a successful batsman for mine.
What evidence do you have to suggest that? The way he's tried to play since becoming a regular in the Test side have shown that he isn't good enough. He doesn't know how to play successfully at Test level. His onslaught at the MCG a couple of years ago was ODI style batting, you won't be successful doing that in Test cricket unless you are a top quality batsman like Adam Gilchrist.

Perm

Don't know. I was on a plane to England at the time, so didn't see the innings.
I just went back and checked the scorecard, Symonds was dropped twice and given not out twice for big LBW shouts that HawkEye said were out.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd rather Lee be used in test cricket as an impact player. With just Clark, Lee, Johnson and MacGill I can't see this happening. Symonds will allow Ponting to rotate his bowlers more effectively.

Perm

I'd rather Lee be used in test cricket as an impact player. With just Clark, Lee, Johnson and MacGill I can't see this happening. Symonds will allow Ponting to rotate his bowlers more effectively.
Symonds will also prove to be a walking wicket and give away runs without little wicket-taking threat.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Symonds will also prove to be a walking wicket and give away runs without little wicket-taking threat.
You're asking for an avatar challenge.

Symonds to play every test in the Australian summer if fit, averaging over 30 with the bat and conceeding less than four runs an over?

Perm

You're asking for an avatar challenge.

Symonds to play every test in the Australian summer if fit, averaging over 30 with the bat and conceeding less than four runs an over?
I don't do avatar challenges mate. In any case, I dont think that averaging over 30 with the bat is successful, especially if his bowling is going to be aimed at restricting runs rather than taking wickets.