Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Australia survive without Warne and McGrath???

Can Australia survive without Warne and McGrath???

I always thought that Australia was one team that has excellent reserves, even the second best team in the World might struggle against an Aus A team.Batsmen like Bevan/Law/Slater can't find a place in Australian Test team, while bowlers like Bracken, McGill and Flemming can't get a place in the test side.In my opinion had those bowler would have played for any other team, they might have been their front line bowler.
    I was amazed to read a statement by an English supporter (Proud-English) claiming that Australian bowling attack without McGrath and Warne is totally crap! I find it very hard to accept, does anyone think that Australians cannot survive without those two class bowlers??

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Well when you consider the role changes that had to occur (Gillespie to leader of the attack, Brett Lee to a more responsible position, MacGill to lead spinner from not being int he side at all) it's no surprise that they struggled, regardless of the talent.

Like every other team, the incumbent players have to adjust and the new players have to settle too so there's a period of uncertainty. But the current bowlers have the talent to step up. Its just a matter of how settled the attack is.

An example is the 1995 tour of the West Indies; the Aussies lost Craig McDermott (the leader of the attack) and Damien Fleming (who'd just come off a successful series against England) before the Test series. So it required others to step up. They did, just like the players today would have to. Paul Reiffel lead the attack, Glenn McGrath had a career-defining series and Warnie was pretty solid too.

Great sides can recover from losses of their great players and this one would probably be no different, given a little time.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    if the batting stands up better and gillespie was fit i am sure we would do just fine
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Debutant
    It would take some time as you would expcet but there are so many top class players ou there Australia we would still be very strong.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    We're just enjoying it whilst we can..

Of course Australia will be fine with a second string, it just takes time for them to settle in, like with anything.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    People forget that Australia have not got a young Bowler at all

Rik
    Originally posted by chris.hinton
    People forget that Australia have not got a young Bowler at all
    Bracken...Noffke...?
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rik
    Bracken...Noffke...?
    ok but they are near the wrong side of 25

Rik
    The problem Australia have is that Warne and McGrath are out of this world bowlers and Brett Lee and Bichel, Williams and MacGil will never be as good as them. They are just not as relentlessly accurate. Australia will be ok but unless they come up with another bowler like either then they will be much closer to the opposition and be forced to scrap more often like in the 5th Test.

Australia can survive without Warne and McGrath. However, if the question is whether they will be as dominant, it is extremely doubtful atleast in the short run. None of the current support bowlers are nearly as good as those two. So, while the attack will still be good, it will be blunted to a great extent and the better teams like SA and even NZ and England will take advantage and win a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    IMO teams have the opportunity to take adavntage of Australia when they are injury weakened but most of the times, will not do so. This is due to the mental aspect and the history of Aussie dominance that will continue to stir fear into opposition until Australia lose a couple of consecutive Test series'.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    IMO teams have the opportunity to take adavntage of Australia when they are injury weakened but most of the times, will not do so. This is due to the mental aspect and the history of Aussie dominance that will continue to stir fear into opposition until Australia lose a couple of consecutive Test series'.
    The history of Aussie dominance will have relevance only if Australia continues to dominate. If their bowling which has won them so many series is perceived to be weaker, I don't think other teams will hold back because of some kind of fear or psychological block or something.

The very recent example of a battered and bruised England crushing a Warne-less, McGrath-less Australia is a clear indicator atleast of the fact that Australia won't have it so easy if those 2 aren't around. If England can do that to a depleted Aussie side, on current form SA or even NZ is capable of going even further. I am not saying that Aussies will always lose if these 2 aren't there, but they certainly are going to win lesser number of tests and series till they find suitable replacements.

All this talk of youngsters already lining up to fill their shoes is for now, just that, talk. A reasonably experienced Gillespie isn't nearly good enough for that yet, forget untested newcomers.

Banned
    i think teams lift when they play understrength aussie team because the standards slip a little

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Paul Rofe, Nathan Bracken, Mitchell Johnson, Ashley Noffke, the list goes on and on. Rofe should break into the squad soon, and Johnson has got some searing pace.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Rik
    Originally posted by masterblaster
    Paul Rofe, Nathan Bracken, Mitchell Johnson, Ashley Noffke, the list goes on and on. Rofe should break into the squad soon, and Johnson has got some searing pace.
    Yes but none of them are a McGrath. They are all decent bowlers but none a great one, none are players capable of striking fear into their oponents just by name! As for Johnson's searing pace...just look at Brett Lee to see how pace is nothing unless it's complimented with swing, or a decent line and length.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information