• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Australia survive without Warne and McGrath???

Eclipse

International Debutant
Tim I would say the reson the batsman were swinging accros the line to Watson was because of his previous over witch were mostly yorkers so they probably expected more of the same.

Also since when has Hussain been abel to actualy hit stright sixes mid wicket is more or less his slog area.

Credit to Watson he did not bowl any bad balls that could be hit easaly but some of them did give the batsman the opertunity to get under the ball but they were not good enough to do so.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Rik said:
Well the spinner problem is because of our climate which usually produces seaming wickets. It's not a hot dry country so we can't produce spinning wickets really and also if a pitch has any wear or grass on it at the beginning it is usually ruled as an unsuitable pitch. English conditions are made for fast-medium seamers who can swing it like Hoggard, that's why we have so many swing bowlers in the Championship with good FC career stats.
Most of that is a problem, but a Turner can do it on anything regards of the conditions

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
Most of that is a problem, but a Turner can do it on anything regards of the conditions
Look at the orthodox finger spinners around the world (excluding Harbajan and Murali) like Hauritz, Vettori, Giles...they don't turn it much. The only way Harbajan and Murali turn it so much is that they use their wrists and flick the ball, they are not orthodox. If Saqlain did not have his doosra then he would not be as effective either. The problem for finger spinners is that the finger cannot impart as much force as the wrist, they cannot put as much spin on the ball, therefor they do not turn it off the pitch much and rely more on accuracy...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Tim said:
No I think Harmison does need to be blamed.
Of those 15 wides, Harmison bowled 11 of them.
He got hooked for four first ball then took a sitter of a catch which he almost dropped & when England were looking as though they had a chance to really put pressure on Australia he bowled 11 wides & allowed Bevan to relax & get himself in.

England did not handle the last over of Watson's very well. Watson's length & line was not very good last over material but for some reason Hussain was stepping away when he should have been charging down the wicket and belting the ball over long off where it should have been going.
And he bowled what was it 7 more today, and dropped 2 catches. Hopefully the selectors will soon realise he doesn't have the accuracy for ODIs.

To Eclipse, Hussain can hit straight, especially against the spinners, but does tend to play to mid on/midwicket. He also hits inside out over extra cover occasionally.

sasnoz

Banned
Rik said:
Look at the orthodox finger spinners around the world (excluding Harbajan and Murali) like Hauritz, Vettori, Giles...they don't turn it much. The only way Harbajan and Murali turn it so much is that they use their wrists and flick the ball, they are not orthodox. If Saqlain did not have his doosra then he would not be as effective either. The problem for finger spinners is that the finger cannot impart as much force as the wrist, they cannot put as much spin on the ball, therefor they do not turn it off the pitch much and rely more on accuracy...
um vettori was getting a heck of a lot of spin just be4 he got his back injury

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
sasnoz said:
um vettori was getting a heck of a lot of spin just be4 he got his back injury
Compare the ammount of spin he got with Warne or Murali who can still hit the Wicket if they pitch the ball on the edge of the pitch...that's the difference.

sasnoz

Banned
but warne and murali are execptions u cant have bowlers like that everyday there are loads of wrist spinners who get bugger all turn mister no it all

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Anil Kumble is the only one, I would say.
Kumble and Afridi similer, leg spinners who barely turn their leg-break and rely on a faster ball and a googily which turns. I wouldn't count them as big spinners. What about NZs Brooke Walker? Never really seen Bevan turn one either.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
sasnoz said:
but warne and murali are execptions u cant have bowlers like that everyday there are loads of wrist spinners who get bugger all turn mister no it all
It's not just those 2! MacGill, who didn't bowl very well against England, still turned a few balls quite a way, and I'm meaning a Warne and Murali style ammount of Spin here...

Bazza

International 12th Man
Ian Salisbury can turn the ball just as much. He is a carp bowler, but he can still turn the ball loads...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Bazzaroodoo said:
Ian Salisbury can turn the ball just as much. He is a carp bowler, but he can still turn the ball loads...
So can I... and I'm worse than Salisbury (marginally).

PY

International Coach
as my original comments seem to have got attention of a few people i fort id betta say that maybe calling the backup aussie players crap was a bit extreme but i honestly believe that without McGrath and Warne the Aussies do not possess a bowler of top quality, maybe Gillespie will grow into one after he's had a break cos he looked knackered at the end of the ashes but he has been around a while now and hasnt blossomed. Brett Lee i think is far too inconsistent to be regarded as even approaching world-class. Pace isnt everything as Steve Harmison shows. Id say the aussies without them two are at their most vulnerable and only a small way ahead of the pack rather than a country mile clear.

PY

International Coach
ive seen neil bowl and faced neil in nets, and dont fink ive ever gone through an over without him bowling a full toss and one on top of the net too....he's REALLY bad!!!!!!!1:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: comparing himself to ian salisbury is the harshest possible insult even tho salisbury is crap!! :P :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PROUD+ENGLISH said:
ive seen neil bowl and faced neil in nets, and dont fink ive ever gone through an over without him bowling a full toss and one on top of the net too....he's REALLY bad!!!!!!!1:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: comparing himself to ian salisbury is the harshest possible insult even tho salisbury is crap!! :P :P
It's because the nets are incredibly low and I use the flight of the ball to a great extent in order to deceive the batsmen.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's because the nets are incredibly low and I use the flight of the ball to a great extent in order to deceive the batsmen.
Oh, that is GOLD.............if I ever take up leg-breaks, I'll HAVE to use that one. :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Oh, that is GOLD.............if I ever take up leg-breaks, I'll HAVE to use that one. :D
I allways ended up hitting the top of the nets when bowling wrist spin and the ball then dropped onto the batsman :lol: